Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 AM

287 posts, read 1,086,932 times

Advertisements

Since State Farm raised our rates again for next year, I'm curious as to what others in the city pay for car insurance. I'm thinking about switching. We have 2 vehicles, 1 car and 1 SUV, both 07, two adult drivers, no tickets, wrecks or claims. We pay around $1700 a year for full coverage. Is that high? We've always had State Farm since we've lived here. TIA for advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
I'm thinking about switching. We have 2 vehicles, 1 car and 1 SUV, both 07, two adult drivers, no tickets, wrecks or claims. We pay around $1700 a year for full coverage. Is that high? We've always had State Farm since we've lived here. TIA for advice!
I dropped State Farm due to poor service on a burglary claim.

What others pay is irrelevant becuase their situation is completely different. I would recommend that you yo to one of the several reputable car quote sites like Progressive or Insweb and do a search and see what is out there.

Also, I would contact an INDEPENDENT agent and get quotes from a number of companies.

What I have some in the past is to take the declaration sheet from your current insurer and ask on a bid for that coverage so you get an "apples to apples" comparison.

Do remember that your rates are based on your zip code which might be the cause that the rates appear high.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I dropped State Farm due to poor service on a burglary claim.

What others pay is irrelevant becuase their situation is completely different. I would recommend that you yo to one of the several reputable car quote sites like Progressive or Insweb and do a search and see what is out there.

Also, I would contact an INDEPENDENT agent and get quotes from a number of companies.

What I have some in the past is to take the declaration sheet from your current insurer and ask on a bid for that coverage so you get an "apples to apples" comparison.

Do remember that your rates are based on your zip code which might be the cause that the rates appear high.
Although Progressive is nice due to the multiple quotes, I don't think I'd buy insurance from them. I was shopping around recently for car insurance, and their reviews along with Geico and Nationwide are horrible. Most seem to be from people who were hit by a driver with one of those three insurance companies. If I do happen to hit someone I prefer that my insurance would take care of the person I hit, so I ended up going with a different company (my car is old and worth little so I don't both having full coverage on it, so coverage for damages to my own car wasn't a concern). I guess what I'm saying is, don't go with the cheapest insurance company out there....shop around and see who has good reviews along with a decent price.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Although Progressive is nice due to the multiple quotes, I don't think I'd buy insurance from them. I was shopping around recently for car insurance, and their reviews along with Geico and Nationwide are horrible.
I wouldn't buy through Progressive as they have always been the MOST expensive alternative. Also, I like to bundle my car insurance with my homeowners and excess liability umbrella policy.

As for reading reviews, I would take those with an enormous grain of salt. I think that you can find a lot of negative reviews on any company with a significant portfolio of business.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times
With our lone auto claim (break-in & theft) while living in STL, State Farm did quite a good job handling the aftermath. The only problem we had was getting someone on the phone when we first discovered the break-in, but it was almost midnight on Sunday, so it was to be expected. Our rates were about 25% lower than what you are paying, but our vehicles were also older too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis