Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 12,141 times

Advertisements

My wife has to attend clinicals at Barnes Jewish to finish up her degree in Dosimetry. She will be staying by herself alot because I already have a job out of town which I am not leaving. What is the absolute safest place in St. Louis for a single woman to live. She doesn't need the hippest or up and coming or edgiest place in town. Proximity to nightlife is not a concern because she will be too busy with school. She needs a nice clean well lit apartment that is in a good part of town. Please help... I know absolutely nothing about St.Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 PM

57 posts, read 186,836 times
Richmond Heights is a nice safe area close to Barnes. I lived here as a single woman for several years, never had a problem

Old 12-13-2008, 08:11 AM

82 posts, read 246,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachw View Post
What is the absolute safest place in St. Louis for a single woman to live. She doesn't need the hippest or up and coming or edgiest place in town. Proximity to nightlife is not a concern because she will be too busy with school. She needs a nice clean well lit apartment that is in a good part of town. Please help...
I think I know what you mean by "absolute" and i would recommend the clayton area for safety/proximity (neighbors richmond heights) but i think it has big edge on it for overall safety/atmosphere.

you can't go wrong with the burbs along 44/55 but 40/64 could be a problem because of construction and how far out you go but you are looking at a major commute....30-40 min minimum...generally,the further you move out...the safer the area statistically. ..and the higher the rent

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,305 times
It's true that the farther out you go the safer you are - Chesterfield, Creve Coeur, Ballwin - very far west and possibly a 45 minute commute. I think Clayton is a good choice also. It's close, upscale, safe - I love it there. Webster Groves and Kirkwood are nice also but they don't have a very large selection of apartments there - Clayton has tons.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
South County is with in 30 minutes and fairly good, close to shopping, not too far from the city and safe. In that area there is Lemay Ferry rd, which seems to have alot of apartments. There is also south city, in the South Hampton street/Germania area that isn't too bad. However it is along the river deperes, the sewage drain.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 PM

80 posts, read 222,017 times
Barnes Jewish is in the Central West End which is a very safe neighborhood. Your wife could live basically across the street from Barnes and would not have a commute. The apartments here are full of med students.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
CWE is a safe city neighborhood, but if the OP is really asking for the absolutely safest place, it wouldn't be CWE, or anywhere urban for that matter. That's just a fact of life.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM

287 posts, read 1,086,868 times
If by "safe" you mean no one's going to break in the middle of the night and attack her, or she can walk around alone in the neighborhood, or can get to know friendly neighbors, then I think a ton of city neighborhoods fit the bill. Barnes is on S. Kingshighway. A 10 min. drive straight south and turning right will take you to the Hill (Kingshighway @ Arsenal), Northampton (Kingshighway @ Fyler), Southampton (Kingshighway @ Chippewa) or Princeton Heights (Kingshighway @ Eichelberger). All very safe neighborhoods, and will save her lots of frustration in commute time. Further western neighborhoods like Lindenwood and St. Louis Hills are also great, and have some fabulous, extrememly safe parks if she likes to jog or walk a dog.

If by "safe," however, you mean no one will ever break into her car, or flip her the bird in traffic, then I'm not sure. Mayberry?
(just kiddin'. Seriously, south city. She'll be fine).

Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,305 times
The MOST safe neighborhoods are in the suburbs, not the city. That's just a fact. Relatively safe is another story.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,991 times
I'd go with Clayton. Violent crime is virtually non-existent there. My perception is that a single female could walk/jog through most parts of Clayton at 3:00 a.m. without much risk of becoming victim. It is 10-15 minutes from Barnes by car. It's also an affluent area with lots of amenities, so if she ever gets a moment to tear herself away from those fascinating text books ;-) she can explore, get a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and see how all the doctors and lawyers who work/live there kill their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis