U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,274 times

Advertisements

After an abrupt and unexpected change in my life I might be moving to st. louis within a month. I will be attending UMSL for one semester. I had heard from someone I know that where it is in northern st. louis is not a good area.

I dont mind driving a good distance at all to get to campus. I would prefer something on the eastern side towards illinois as I know someone who lives in columbia. In fact, we can also look into any areas near st. louis but in illinois.

My top priority is that it is a nice and safe area. I would prefer if you could be as specific as possible in the exact area/town and even the specific complex if possible as I have never been to this area before. Again safety and a nice area is my top priority. I would also like to have all the essentials nearby, grocery stores etc that are also in nice areas. My budget is $700 a month without utilities.

Thanks alot!

Last edited by jtom1; 12-22-2008 at 12:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,129,898 times
The Central West End tends to be kind of college-student area. It'll be a little bit farther drive, though. You could also try Downtown. Some apartments there go for like $550 month, but they're generally income-dependent.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM

711 posts, read 1,921,417 times
On the Illinois side you'll be paying out of state tuition, so scratch the Illinois idea, unless there's something I don't know...

Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Well I am coming out of state anyways (florida). I saw a really nice apartment complex right next to the arch. It looked really nice. I would have a cosigner with perfect credit.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,129,898 times
What's the name of the complex? Just curious.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Mansion house apartments. It looks nice but I cannot see anything but pictures, so it could be deceiving.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,075,413 times
well, that is right downtown, but it seems like not many folks hang out downtown, unless you are down along the Washington Street District (don't know the exact coordinates, but Washington Street from about 8th or 10th street to maybe 18th street-- I'm guessing on those cross street boundaries). That Mansion House is a short hike from the hubub along Washington. Are you thinking about a 1-bedroom or a studio, or do you need more space than that? I am not real sure what sort of a neighborhood you are into, but the Mansion House isn't really in a neighborhood... only knowing you are a college student, I might also recommend the Central West End, possibly University City, Clayton, or the Washington Street district. I don't know much about the Illinois side, but I might guess there are some decent areas for young people not too far from UMSL over there???? Other posters would know better than me.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the replies

I wanted a one bedroom. I am a graduate student, I graduated with a bachelors last week. I was hoping for a nicer more upscale area that is safe.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:11 PM

711 posts, read 1,921,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom1 View Post
Well I am coming out of state anyways (florida). I saw a really nice apartment complex right next to the arch. It looked really nice. I would have a cosigner with perfect credit.

Anyone else?

Thanks!
If you make Missouri your permanent home, you are not paying "out of district" fees. You pay those fees if you are still a permanent resident of Florida and coming to MO just for college.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
I looked at the mansion house when I first moved to Stl. It was an amazing apt, but just too pricey. I believe they paid either gas or electric, and the view was amazing.

Try anything in west county. That's where you'll find the nicer places. If you find a place near a highway, your commute won't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or