Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmotom View Post
Hmm...so you've been to SF twice? Or so it seems by this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ns-locals.html
Who are you and why is this your first post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
The racism. We were there for a week and were appalled at the blatancy of it -- not that hidden racism is any better. There may not be segregation laws, but we saw darned few people of color being served in the restaurants, though many served. The neighborhoods were obviously segregated. I do not recall seeing one white person in the company of a person of color.

The only place worse we saw in our travels of the country was Mobile, AL where the black people would not even look into our faces.

It was just sickening.
Nonsense.

If you're ever back you should hit up Sweetie Pie's (or watch the show about it on OWN). Some places in St. Louis are traditionally segregated (which has little to do with racism as it is today), but many many places are very integrated.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
and took the time to dig up a post from 2 years ago, creepy!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

If you're ever back you should hit up Sweetie Pie's (or watch the show about it on OWN). Some places in St. Louis are traditionally segregated (which has little to do with racism as it is today), but many many places are very integrated.
Double non-sense. I've lived here for 6 months and have already met 4 inter-racial couples.

I will say that anyone that moves here from the west is immediately taken aback by the shear number of black people and the lack of Hispanic people. There is a lot of natural and institutional segregation that goes on. The city itself is highly segregated. But that is going to happen in older areas with more established African-American populations.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
As for my answer to the original post, I don't know that I hate anything, but I will list my dislikes or pet peeves:

1. Provel Cheese - And it's not just that I don't prefer it. It's popular enough here that it actually creates an inconvenience. You have to remember when ordering a pizza or sandwich to tell them "no provel".

2. Streets changing names - I turned right on Gravois and drove south into Jefferson county. Gravois became Route 30, and then I passed 3 other Gravois in about a 7 mile stretch. And there are others; Linbergh becoming Kirkwood, then back to Lindbergh. There is another street that is near the 44 that was three different names and I never turned once.

3. Mexican Food - Too many mediocre or bad Mexican restaurants. And they all serve ground beef instead of shredded beef, and cover everything with cheese sauce.

That's about it. I love everything else.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Must be a lurker.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
As for my answer to the original post, I don't know that I hate anything, but I will list my dislikes or pet peeves:

1. Provel Cheese - And it's not just that I don't prefer it. It's popular enough here that it actually creates an inconvenience. You have to remember when ordering a pizza or sandwich to tell them "no provel".

2. Streets changing names - I turned right on Gravois and drove south into Jefferson county. Gravois became Route 30, and then I passed 3 other Gravois in about a 7 mile stretch. And there are others; Linbergh becoming Kirkwood, then back to Lindbergh. There is another street that is near the 44 that was three different names and I never turned once.

3. Mexican Food - Too many mediocre or bad Mexican restaurants. And they all serve ground beef instead of shredded beef, and cover everything with cheese sauce.

Have you been to Cherokee St yet?
Some of the best Mexican in STL lives there.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Quote:

\

1. I also hated the cheese and pizza at first, but after a few years I prefer it. Have you been to Pi yet? You will probably love it. They actually wear T-shirts that say "No provel here" or something to that effect.

2. Agree, can be very confusing

3. Coming from AZ, you are used to great Mexican food. It's here, but you have to look for it. I would check out Cherokee for authentic Mexican, as in most of the time I go, the younger kids are waiting on us because the adults don't speak English. Other than Cherokee, my favorite would probably be Chavas in Soulard.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:

How can you not love this :P

Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
\

1. I also hated the cheese and pizza at first, but after a few years I prefer it. Have you been to Pi yet? You will probably love it. They actually wear T-shirts that say "No provel here" or something to that effect.

2. Agree, can be very confusing

3. Coming from AZ, you are used to great Mexican food. It's here, but you have to look for it. I would check out Cherokee for authentic Mexican, as in most of the time I go, the younger kids are waiting on us because the adults don't speak English. Other than Cherokee, my favorite would probably be Chavas in Soulard.
Same condition here, one state over, from New Mexico. How I miss that.
Stack green chile enchiladas!

That said, I have adjusted to the fine local and regional cuisine here, notably the fried chicken and bbq. Also, since I am originally from NY/NJ, I have also been able to locate some pretty damned good NY style pizza here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis