Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times

Advertisements

Well, not really though. 10 years ago the area you are living now was completely deserted. By going down to areas like Central West End, Dogtown, the Hill etc. you get a chance to see the established family neighborhoods of St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM

19 posts, read 62,450 times
Gotcha. I think I ventured over to the Hill on accident due to the I-64 road construction two weeks ago. It looked like an older part of town/old buildings, no?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM

46 posts, read 134,187 times
Hey, try Dantes tonight (Friday) for salsa. The song choice is good and the crowd is just absolutely crazy every weekend. If you are at the advanced level, do not forget to try Viva on Thursdays (ladies go in for free) and on Saturdays.

Also, private message me if you need more help. I will be gone this weekend but I will make it next thursday to Viva.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Dantes...some of my clients have mentioned it so that sounds fun. I'm far from advanced but I'm not ashamed to give my best effort. :-) I'll have to look into Viva too. Thanks guys, these sound like great ideas!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_to_stl View Post
Gotcha. I think I ventured over to the Hill on accident due to the I-64 road construction two weeks ago. It looked like an older part of town/old buildings, no?
Yup, and lots of yummy Italian restaurants too ... mmm

Oh and for God's sake, don't leave without eating the following St. Louis delicacies;

1. Toasted ravioli
2. St. Louis style thin crust pizza with provel cheese
3. Ted Drewes frozen yogurt
4. Gooey butter cake
5. Ribs, with some delicious Maull's BBQ sauce

Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM

I had the pleasure of enjoying Imo's pizza and I was pleasantly surprised! Most of my clients that I work with here in St. Louis said I probably wouldn't like it since I'm not from St. Louis but I'm really not hard to please when it comes to pizza. Can't say I've ever had a bad one. ;-) I liked the sausage but wasn't too fond of the plain cheese. Gooey butter cake sounds delicious, where can try it?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM

All the grocery stores carry Haas' gooey butter cake (looks like this)

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Get yourself over to (I believe) any Welcome to Schnucks, Sams Club, Shop 'n Save, and/or Sav-A-Lot stores should have this most wonderful treat...

If you find yourself near Forest Park, might also try Talayna's @ 310 De Baliviere Ave. For more pizza ideas, gaze through here: //www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...zza-place.html

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Awesome, Gooey Butter Cake sounds delicious! Let me ask you this...we were talking about South County and how I felt uncomfortable there....how would you compare South County and St. Charles? I've never been and I hear there's a nice movie theater there. Thoughts?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
Yeah try to get around some of the neighborhoods on the South Side. For starters I would go to Soulard. Lafayette Square, the Hill, South Grand, Cherokee St, the Grove, etc. I can further explain those neighborhoods and what they have to offer if you would like.

The South side is much more in tack and taken care of than the North Side. Our North Side is like Chicagos South Side.

It may be deserted on the North side but Wash Ave should have a good amount of activity. Keep in mind it is winter and the activity in the city will pick up in a few months. Also I always like to point out that the City was built in the early 1900's to accomodate over 1 million residents. From 1960 to 1990 the city suffered a severe pop loss which is just now starting to rebound again. So the fact the infastructure was built to accomodate more people than the amount that currently reside in the city may be a reason for it to feel desserted at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis