Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this website. Its for a group called Metropolis STL and it was created to help young professionals meet other people, explore the city, and get involved with certain events. They have something called "the walk" where a group of people get together and hang out for an evening. Its a good way to meet people and explore the city.

http://www.mstl.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_to_stl View Post
I'm sure you're right, I'll just have to put a little more effort into it. It's been very tough...I won't lie. My work consists of traveling...I live out of suitcases for 12 months out of the year so I know how to get out and meet people. Haven't had success so far in this city but I'll keep trying. Still not finding a lot of young professionals, especially black professionals. I'm not looking to hang around with just one race but I don't see as much interaction between races like I do in Atlanta. I'm definitely used to being in a melting pot where people go to the same weekend hangout spots. Tough city for this newcomer but I'm still enjoying my time here.
You need to do the things that you like to do in your spare time. Examples: if you like playing sports, join a team/league of whatever the sport is that you like. Join a bowling league at Flamingo Bowl, close to where you live. Art? Music? St. Louis News, Events, Restaurants, Music - Riverfront Times Join a gym, spend some time in Forest Park. Take a class of some kind of some interest. Explore neighborhoods, etc...Volunteer for a cause or purpose that you like. I can put you in touch with someone who runs a local private middle school for African Americans, which places at risk and economically deprived African American males into local college prep high schools. They are always looking for volunteers.

Attend places and events that you would enjoy or think you would enjoy or want to explore.

Even if you travel with frequency, you can still join something, attend something, belong to something, etc..

No, you likely want bump into as many African American professionals in mixed social settings with white people. However, much like Atlanta, St. Louis is a black white town. When I think diversity, I don't think Atlanta. It does however have many more transplants, and more black professionals in which to socialize.

You'll find more young black professionals in the CWE, U.City than some other places. Play kickball, (yes I said kickball, the game people played as children) in Tower Grove Park when the weather is better. There is a mixture of people and some African American professionals that play.

If you aren't finding young professionals, as you have suggested, you haven't been really trying. No offense.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM

19 posts, read 62,458 times
No offense taken, thanks for the input.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM

46 posts, read 134,200 times
Any suggestions for a single Middle Eastern man like me?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
What are you looking for? What are your interests?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 PM

46 posts, read 134,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
What are you looking for? What are your interests?

Soccer, Salsa Dancing, Volleyball, Tennis, college crowd, not so stuck up women...

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Take a look at this website. Its for a group called Metropolis STL and it was created to help young professionals meet other people, explore the city, and get involved with certain events. They have something called "the walk" where a group of people get together and hang out for an evening. Its a good way to meet people and explore the city.

Metropolis
Good suggestion. There is also this group too: St. Louis Young Professionals Social Network

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,085 times
I read the posts , and I too lived and graduated from college in ATL...

I am trying to have a guys' night out, bachelor party, unlike me for my more mellow frat brother in STL Memorial Day Weekend 2009....

And I too have similar questions that you had regarding STL in terms of nightlife, specifically for the black urban professional or places where this type of group congregate on Saturday nights and anything that is poppin' for the Memorial Day Weekend...

I would appreciate any and/or all suggestions (nice lounges, restaurants,etc.) and thank you in advance for your cooperation and consideration in advance...

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,997 times
Quote:
You simply won't find many other metro areas like Atlanta in terms of being a destination of sorts for young urban and suburban black professionals. And, you will not find St. Louis to be that place.

This is true about St. Louis. I would argue that the best metro areas for professional blacks in the country is the Washington DC metro area. Very expensive but very cosmopolitan. A close second is NYC. Next is maybe Chicago. While there are other areas where black professionals are somewhat prevalent, these are sadly the only places in the country where it really stands out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis