Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Dutchtown really isnt that bad. Keep in mind it is the largest neighborhood in sq footage so some areas in Dutchtown may be sketchy others are just fine.
Many parts are. Especially the part this house was in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
Where was it located? What kind of crimes occured there? If they were petty crimes then its really not that much different than any other neighborhood.

I know a few people that live in Dutchtown that havent had many problems. However I am not saying that the neighborhood is free and clear of any issues.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 PM

177 posts, read 421,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
My bad, I was just curious about what peoples opinios are. No harm intended.
I really see nothing wrong with researching safety in a city/neighborhood one is considering moving to. I'm here doing the exact same thing. I'm particularly interested in South City areas, and I'm finding some good threads on the subject but hoping for more.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I think some urbanites are just a little bit edgy sometimes because suburbanites love to talk about how dangerous all of the city is.

That's my perception.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:32 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrab View Post
I really see nothing wrong with researching safety in a city/neighborhood one is considering moving to. I'm here doing the exact same thing. I'm particularly interested in South City areas, and I'm finding some good threads on the subject but hoping for more.
Thanks for the backup but... I actually live in St. Louis and have lived there my entire life. I just made this thread for people like you who are considering to move there and would like to know the places to avoid.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
The study presented by a previous poster is incorrect in many ways. My family, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, etc. lived at one time or another within what is now referred to as the 'ville'. The closest that any blacks lived was east of us near Vandeventer. This was up until the 50's and some of the 60's. There was never any crime in our area that made the daily news. When our neighbor hood did become integrated it was done in a quiet and pleasant manner. Our new neighbors were friendly and welcomed.

I drove through the area many years later and was saddened to see the boarded up store fronts and barred windows and doors of many residences. A shame to have to protect yourself against your neighbors like this. Crime? It's everywhere. No city, block, is free of those whom desire to harm, steal, or destroy. Just check out the police records of a city and its neighborhoods. Even the country near where we live is not immune to crime and drugs.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Zach,
Thank you for posting that tour. I've never been to St. Louis and only imagined the possibilities of the architecture there. It is so sad what is becoming of that history. I am partial to the old buildings. The trim, the special touches even with the less ornate buildings, I love it. I'm thankful for everyone who is able to rehab and keep them alive.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I think some urbanites are just a little bit edgy sometimes because suburbanites love to talk about how dangerous all of the city is.

That's my perception.

I lived in Tower Grove East. My city friends were over at my place all of the time.

When I took a job out in the county, none of the suburbanites would enter the "war zone". It is one of those city-county issues.

In all fairness, there are a number of places in the county that are not all that splendid.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM

177 posts, read 421,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Thanks for the backup but... I actually live in St. Louis and have lived there my entire life. I just made this thread for people like you who are considering to move there and would like to know the places to avoid.
Well thank you then. Very considerate.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM

214 posts, read 691,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
This site is so wonderful. I am happy to see it and read the commentary. What a beautiful place STL is, even with this decay. There are so many buildings that might still be saved--wish I could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: