Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:03 PM

8 posts, read 7,327 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 23 year old single woman who grew up in Saint Louis, specifically the Green Park neighborhood in south county. Over the summer I got a pretty good job (great for me considering my experience) next to the airport. I currently live with my dad in Sunset Hills. I am looking to move out on my own soon (I may have to get a second job to do this), in March, and am looking at multiple locations throughout the area. I have my own ideas but I like hearing other people's perspectives of the area and my situation/life stage.

Currently, my commute is about 35-40 mins to work and 40-50 min home each day. I do not want to commute further than this. I am newly single and looking to make friends, although I am not a super social person and want to focus on my social/love life after I get my own place. I like to work out and have a YMCA membership, so would like to live close to a gym, although my work also has a gym I could start using. I am also going to be living by myself and do not want to be overly worried about my safety.

I have considered many areas, here is a list of them with my impressions/feelings:

St. Charles (Pralle Meadows apartments)
PROS
-short commute
-pretty safe
-cute downtown area
CONS
-don't like the vibe that much, seems like snobbish people there
-very conservative

Maryland Heights (The Pavilion apartments)
PROS
-very short commute
-YMCA right across street of Bennington Place apartments
CONS
-apartments/area does not seem very safe, big negative

Manchester (specifically Pebble Point and Stonegate apts.)
PROS
-nice area
-nicer apartments for similar price as Maryland Heights
-feel very safe
-stores are very close
CONS
-longish commute (45 mins home)

Maplewood/Brentwood/Richmond Heights
PROS
-friendly vibes, cool areas
CONS
-will I be as safe?

I was considering the Maplewood or Richmond Heights area until recently, when I had a scary experience in Forest Park where I believe someone was about to attempt to break into my car. I am strongly considering the Manchester area, but am not suer if everyone is so friendly there and if I'll find like-minded people there, although I know I would feel safe and live in a nice clean community.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by stlgal92; 10-28-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
No matter where you live you'll have to consider safety, and be smart about your surroundings...there is nowhere that is completely SAFE. That being said, I didn't see any areas mentioned that I'd consider dangerous. I grew up in Bridgeton, and have lived in Northwest St. Louis County for nearly all my life (with exceptions of college and a brief stint in Kansas City).

For having fun stuff to do out, I loved Old Town St. Charles, and would highly recommend that area. You may or may not find apartments, but sublets are doable.

I've had several friends who spent their early twenties in those Maryland Heights apartments off Bennington. None had any safety issues, and all seemed to enjoy their time there. My wife and I used to play sand volleyball in a league at the Bennington Place apartments, and we never felt unsafe while there, or walking to our cars. It's a good area for folks wanting to be in Northwest County, and have IMMEDIATE access to I-364 and I-270.

Maplewood/Brentwood/Richmond Heights is really a HUGE swath to try to take a stab at. It's more inner ring (obviously) than the previous two areas. Safety should be good, but you'll have to pay attention (as you should anywhere). I'd think the commute will be a tad longer, but it should be reverse traffic, so long as you're working a normal schedule. You'll have lots to do in those respective areas, as all have a decent amount of night life. Personally, I love all three of them, and have spent some time hanging with friends in each of these areas during my younger years.

Bridgeton even has some decent apartment stock, but sadly it's all now VERY close to the airport and isn't surrounded by community like it previously was. Back in the day, the neighborhood known as Carrolton really anchored much of the community and was the "city center" for a large majority of residents. The airport bulldozed that neighborhood and it's 1500 homes, causing many of the retail tenants to leave along with property owners. The only remaining residents on the northern end of Bridgeton are those in the apartment complexes. I'm not sure if that affected rent prices or the quality of residents, but I can't believe those areas would still be overly desirable.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:30 AM

108 posts, read 284,551 times
There are some apartments off Howdershell and 270 in Hazelwood which is a very easy drive to/from Bridgeton, rarely over 10 minutes. Knollwood and Dunnwood Acres to be specific. Of the two, Dunnwood seems to be the quieter one. We live in a house near the Dunnwood apartments and often drive/walk through the complex. Haven't ever seen signs of trouble. Immediate access to 270 and 370 (to St. Charles).

Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Maryland Heights, easily.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:44 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Maryland Heights makes the most sense. I grew up near there, I'm not sure what on earth would make you feel like it wasn't safe? The crime rate there is well below average.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:44 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Maryland Heights, for sure. Also look at Whisper Hollow apartments across the street.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 PM

54 posts, read 69,439 times
Woodhollow

Pheasant Run

Villages at Bogey Hills

Boulders at Katy Trail

Chesterfield Place Apartments

Maybe a few others. Tell me more of what you are looking for, including price ceiling, and I can help a bit more.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 7,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someboyelse View Post
Woodhollow

Pheasant Run

Villages at Bogey Hills

Boulders at Katy Trail

Chesterfield Place Apartments

Maybe a few others. Tell me more of what you are looking for, including price ceiling, and I can help a bit more.
I am looking for something close to work, safe, with grocery store nearby, I go to the YMCA so being next to that is ideal (Maryland Heights), and my budget is $600-$750 tops.

Honestly I have looked at all nearby places in my price range and I really like The Pavilion in Maryland Heights. It's affordable, YMCA is literally across the street, nearby Creve Couer Park, and only 10 mins from my work. I want to pick out other places to tour too, though.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Years ago when I lived at Whisper Hollow it was said that they they had better management than Pavilion but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Either way, I definitely think Maryland Hts is your best bet, I loved living there!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,606 times
I'd check in to Woods Mill Park off of 141 in Chesterfield, but it might cost a few extra bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis