Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times

Advertisements

“Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m. | Off the Menu | STLtoday (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/off-the-menu/uncategorized/2009/02/man-v-food-st-louis-episode-wed-9-pm/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 03:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,800,689 times
He picked 3 excellent choices on his St. Louis stop for tv.

Pappy's Smokehouse
Crown Candy Kitchen
Iron Barley

Very, very good places to eat in St. Louis. This should be a much watch for people looking for some good eats in St. Louis.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,282 times
Good find, thanks. I have that show set to auto record on my DVR every week. I love it. We're driving to Columbus in a few weeks with some friends to eat at the places he went to there. I have been to Crown Candy numberous times, but have never heard of the other two. I hope that hot dog is good, cause I'll be making a trip to the Iron Barley.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
Good find, thanks. I have that show set to auto record on my DVR every week. I love it. We're driving to Columbus in a few weeks with some friends to eat at the places he went to there. I have been to Crown Candy numberous times, but have never heard of the other two. I hope that hot dog is good, cause I'll be making a trip to the Iron Barley.
All three are very good. Just do a search here for my past Pappy's comments. I am in no way affiliated with the place, but it is fantastic. In its first year in business last year, it was voted #1 BBQ, and #1 service in town by RFT. The service is excellent. It's located near SLU's campus, just East of Olive and Compton, when Lindell turns into Olive. The location isn't all that interesting, nor is the interior. However, its eats are top notch. Everything on the menu is fantastic Memphis style BBQ. Everything is made fresh daily until it runs out and there is a dry erase board that tells you what is no longer available. It's casual. It's also a lot of bang for your buck too.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,052,987 times
Iron Barley was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives as well. The weiner shnitzel looked like the bomb. Agree that Pappy's makes some top notch Q. When I went there for lunch there was a line that snaked all the way out the back door, but it moved fast.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM

I saw Iron Barley on tripple D, but really wasn't interested because of the food they were cooking (I eat very funny), but the hot dog that the article here talks about might be worth a try. I will for sure go to Pappy's next week with my wife. I pick her up about once a week to go to the hill and eat lunch. She's at Cardinal Glennon so we will just have to try Pappy's. Can't wait, but we're out of town tomorrow through Friday.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Well, my brother and his family are in from L.A. and saw this show last week so today we went to Pappy's for lunch and Crown Candy for ice cream & malts afterwards. When I got to Pappy's at 11:00 there was a line of about 20 people in front of me which took about 5 minutes. The food was delivered to you within two minutes of ordering. We ate and by the time we were done the line stretched the length of the place (at least 3 times as long as when I came in). The place didn't seem that large, but I never saw anyone waiting for a table as they smartly don't let people hold tables. I got the hot links with a baked potato. The links were from G & W which is a great sausage maker here in town and they were great. For $7.95 I got the large order which was two large natural casing sausages and two sides (one if you get the baked potato). My family got just about the run of the board and the only remark other than great was that the brisket was a little dry. I'm sure it isn't that way usually because the owners were offering little cups of samples while you waited in line and everyone was complimenting it. I didn't have any so I couldn't tell you. For the money, I don't think I've been to a place that serves so much here in St. Louis. Both owners that you saw on the show were out talking to everyone in the lines and made for a really friendly place to go to and I will go quite often. Crown Candy was just as it's always been. Seemed like the only candy they were really showing was Easter candy. It looked so good. My brother and I split a malt, and my nephew, other brother and sister-in-law got ice cream. The place was full at 1:15 when we got there, but we only had a few minutes to wait until we got a booth. The neighborhood around it is desolate, for lack of a better word. The walking street that they started across from Crown Candy is still exactly as it was over ten years ago when they started, except now it has no stores occupied instead of a few that were there when you could drive on the street. Did not feel unsafe at all, and would not hesitate to go there if I was near it, but would never make a special trip there again. We then went to Alton to see the Eagles.

Sorry, the pictures show my family, but you can see the line at Pappy's.
Attached Thumbnails
“Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m.-dscn0116-large-.jpg   “Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m.-dscn0118-large-.jpg   “Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m.-dscn0119-large-.jpg   “Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m.-rscn0122-large-.jpg   “Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m.-rscn0127-large-.jpg  

“Man v. Food” St. Louis episode: Wed. 9 p.m.-rscn0087.jpg  

Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Those are some great close ups of the eagles Rick! I love going to watch them this time of year!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

That was the first time I ever saw the show Man v Food. I didn't like it. The host seems likeable, knowledgeable, and he picks excellent places, but I don't like the show's premise of extreme overeating.

As for Pappy's, there's a reason it got voted best service of any St. Louis restaurant in its first year of existence last year. Add that to the very high quality food, generous portions, great value, and you see why it's so popular. For me, it's great because I prefer Memphis BBQ over all other kinds, so it's right up my alley in terms of BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: