Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,275 times

Advertisements

We're taking a quick Amtrak trip from Texas and back with two days in St. Louis--arriving at the new Gateway station, I suppose. We're considering the Crown Plaza hotel, which, it appears, is not far from the station. I can't find anything online about public transportation from that area out to Forest Park. Any information that might be helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,474,214 times
I've never taken Amtrak into St. Louis before -- only to Kirkwood -- so I'm not sure exactly where the downtown station is, though I think it's near Union Station and Scottrade. I didn't know anything about a new station though, so my information may be outdated.

Regardless of where downtown the station is, rest assured, it won't be far from a metro station. All you do is take it west (towards the airport) to Forest Park - DeBaliviere.

A word to the wise -- Forest Park is huge and the metro stop is on the north end of the park, so depending on where you are going, it can be quite the hike. I know they have some bus service through the park to some of the major attractions, but I've never done it. A link to the system map is here: http://www.metrostlouis.org/MetroBus/Maps/SystemMaps/MOSystemMap082508.pdf (broken link)

Hopefully that helps at least a little!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:33 PM

80 posts, read 221,067 times
The Amtrak station connects to public transportation via the Civic Center Metro station which is nearby. You can take any of the westbound trains(they should be labeled Lambert Airport or Shrewsbury I-44) to Forest Park and get off at the Forest Park / Debaliviere station. Forest Park is a block south of the Metrolink station. Debaliviere essentially dead-ends at the park in front of the Missouri History Museum so just head toward the building that looks like a museum.

As aragx6 mentioned, Forest Park is very large, it's 1293 acres which is about 500 acres larger than Central Park in NYC. Most of it is traversed by winding roads that are designed to allow you to take in the scenery more than to get you anywhere quickly. The #90 bus line runs through the park and there are a couple of places where you can rent bikes. Depending on how far you are willing to walk you can get to all of the attractions by walking, but I have a higher tolerance for walking distances than most. If you can tell us where in the park you are planning to go we can probably help you get there.

Metro

Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,275 times
Thanks to both STL Aviator and aragx6. This is our first time to use this service, and you were both helpful. STL, we definitely want to go to the art museum--and, depending on the weather, either the zoo or the Missouri History Museum. My husband and I will probably take the #90 to the art museum first.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,474,214 times
Let us know how it all works out! Happy to help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis