Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFamily4 View Post
This is all great information. Thanks so much for the replies. It really is difficult to do this from so far away, even using the internet, so all of these 'in situ' observations are very valuable. :-)

We have been looking at homes in Des Peres as well if they are in the Kirwood school district (Westchester Elementary School). I also took a closer look at Webster Groves and St. Louis Hills after reviewing some forum topics from last year.

Thanks again!
All of your choices of areas are good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodginger View Post
The average/median sales price for a 3 bed/2 bath house for Kirkwood is higher than what's been quoted. The stats below are based on SALES only for the past six months (which reflects the market slowdown).

Bedrooms Bathrooms Sq Ft List Price Selling Price
Minimum 3 2.00 906 $160,000 $140,000
Average 3 2.14 1,644 $268,762 $255,973
Median 3 2.00 1,540 $259,000 $245,000
Maximum 3 2.50 2,555 $389,900 $374,500

However if you just look at the top 50% of homes sold you get much higher stats:

Average 3 2.28 1,983 $355,691 $337,827
Median 3 2.50 1,791 $343,500 $330,250

That's Kirkwood! Pricing doesn't follow patterns as everything is driven by location, location, location.

I do not agree with the concept that Kirkwood is hard for "outsiders". I move lots of out of town buyers (including 3 from California during 2008) into the area every year and they love it. I moved here about 15 years ago and didn't know a soul. Within weeks I was great friends with all of my neighbors and felt more a part of the community then anywhere I had ever lived. I happened to grow up in west county (moved away for a number of years and came back) but didn't know anyone in Kirkwood when I moved here. I have lived in Glendale, Kirkwood and Webster and love them all. They are very similar but each has it's own unique traits, personality and style.

The area has plenty of diversity. Much more so than many other part of central or west county. And that is true for income, religion, race, etc. There's a little bit of everything. It's also the most walking friendly community in St. Louis and has some of the finest architecture. I must admit that I've become one of those rah rah fans of the area as it's hard not to do that when you live here for any length of time. It's just one of the most friendly, hometown type places you'll ever find and personally I think it speaks volumes when a community "loves" itself. There is usually a reason. Some of my friends from childhood who still live out west can't understand why I am willing to pay such a premium to live here as they get much more house for their money. They really would never understand unless they lived here a while. I do, but when I was growing up in west county I had no idea what I was missing.

Pricing can be difficult to decipher when you are from out of town as the values vary signficiantly from street to street even for a very similar home. Just make sure you do your home work or be sure you work with an agent who knows the area VERY well. It's not like other communities as there are not standard rules for pricing. You simply have to know the history and inventory to understand if a home is priced right.

Anyway, I think your family would love it here. I've never known anyone who didn't like the Webster and/or Kirkwood areas.

Obviously you have been doing some research online but if you want a quick snap shot of all the homes currently available (Between $300-$500K) you can take a peek at this link: Client Portal (http://tinyurl.com/b87798 - broken link) (please note there are multiple pages of listings). You don't need to login or anything, you can just scroll through the details.

Anyway, as an agent who lives here, and has sold here almost exclusively for the past 11 years my comments come from education and experience, not just opinions. (maybe I should just become an ambassador for the Webster or Kirkwood chamber). Just come visit and have someone that knows the area give you a real "insiders" tour and you'll quickly be able to make up your own mind! And make sure to visit the Kirkwood Farmer's Market (opens in April) and Station Plaza (when the bands are playing live) as I think you'll be convinced.
Not to get too far away from the topic but I wouldn't exactly say Kirkwood has a lot of racial diversity. Black and white, yes, other races no. So in comparison to some other parts of the area, there is a little bit, but nowhere near "plenty" imo. And, many of those two races live in separate parts of Kirkwood, not so integrated. The kids are integrated at schools and friends among two races, yes.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 18,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Not to get too far away from the topic but I wouldn't exactly say Kirkwood has a lot of racial diversity. Black and white, yes, other races no. So in comparison to some other parts of the area, there is a little bit, but nowhere near "plenty" imo. And, many of those two races live in separate parts of Kirkwood, not so integrated. The kids are integrated at schools and friends among two races, yes.
I really appreciate this feedback. We are a multi-cultural family and diversity is important to us. We're coming from a town which is almost completely white (Italian even!) and we do want to live in a more diverse area.

On another note, my husband finally made a trip out there this week - so far we have been doing all of our research via the internet. The one thing he wasn't prepared for.......the humidity! :-) I grew up in the DC area so it won't be a shock for me, though. Or will it?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Oh it's humid as a beast in the summer. Temperatures aren't too bad -- nothing like down in the sun belt, but the humidity can feel oppressive! (and it makes my curly hair all wonky!)

According to this: National - Average Relative Humidity (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/rh.html - broken link) the humidity in the summer averages about the same, as do temperatures, so it probably won't be too much of a shock for you, but if your husband hasn't dealt with it before there will definitely be an adjustment period.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFamily4 View Post
I really appreciate this feedback. We are a multi-cultural family and diversity is important to us. We're coming from a town which is almost completely white (Italian even!) and we do want to live in a more diverse area.

On another note, my husband finally made a trip out there this week - so far we have been doing all of our research via the internet. The one thing he wasn't prepared for.......the humidity! :-) I grew up in the DC area so it won't be a shock for me, though. Or will it?
D.C. weather and Stl weather are very, very similar. 4 extreme seasons....very humid in July/August. Spring may be a little earlier and a little better in D.C......but not by a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis