Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM

114 posts, read 818,799 times

Advertisements

I have seen numerous warning about STL public school (in the city) and I would like to hear from people who actually have their children in those schools. I will be moving from California where we can no longer afford janitorial services for our schools (among everything else). I want to know what makes them "bad" or if this is just a long-held assumption that may be on it's way out. I prefer first-hand knowledge and the more recent experiences the better.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I don't think we have any regular posters who send their kids to St. Louis public schools. For the most part they are as bad or worse than their reputation. There has been very little progress over time either.

For the most part, this is not a funding issue but a true systemic failure of the administrators and some very difficult socio-economic realities.

There are good public schools in St. Louis City, but they are limited enrollment magnets and charters. They are definitely worth looking into, though deadlines are early and not all children are guaranteed a spot.

Many city residents send their children to local Catholic and Lutheran schools -- often even if they are not raising their children with those beliefs.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
I sent my kids to a magnet school for a couple of years. Kindergarten & first grade.
The magnet school, though part of the public school system, is a better setup school than the general public schools.
I found the schools to be in good shape.
The equipment was up to par.
The teachers for the most part are good.
Good discipline.
This is regarding public schools in the city of STL. Not the county.

I left because I wanted my kids to grow up with the kids they went to school with. Extra curricular activity, going to friends home, even sleep overs. The magnet schools did not have this feeling of community that the private schools have.

How old are you kids?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM

My kids are will be in 4th and 6th grade. I have family in Chesterfield and they love the schools but I so badly wanted to live in an ecclectic little area close to the city. If we lived in the city, is it possible to commute to Chesterfield for school and is there an out of district fee? Right now, I drive 15 mins to another little town for kids' school so I'm not terribly concerned about a commute. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
There are out-of-district rates available at some schools -- Clayton is one... it's being discussed in a recent thread on here. you should look at some recent threads as this is a topic that comes up frequently.

What's your budget? There are also inner-ring, moderately urban suburbs with easy access to St. Louis with schools ranging from decent to excellent.

Clayton schools would be ideal, but the area is pricey. A little farther out are Webster and Kirkwood schools which are both very good and in desirable, older, denser suburbs with walkable areas. Also look at Maplewood-Richmond Heights which has good schools.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Thanks - yes, I've viewed some of the threads but I did not find exactly what I wanted. I am very surprised about of district fees. We don't have that in CA but then again, we have the worst schools in the nation.

Again - thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
For the most part, this is not a funding issue but a true systemic failure of the administrators and some very difficult socio-economic realities.
What she said.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
I am not a parent of children in the SLPS, i'm a student in the SLPS. Honestly, almost all schools in the SLPS are very rough schools. I would say that there are around 12 schools in the SLPS, and the typical school is very "ghetto", has very low student test scores, lacks money, and are actually dangerous. Metro High and McKinley High are the only SLPS schools that don't fit the description above. If you need any info or have any questions, just ask me, I have my resources.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Aaronstlcards - nice to have a first-hand perspective. The dangerous part is the big concern and while you are only one person, you've confirmed a lot of my suspicions. From what I understand, the county schools are rather "vanilla" and I really wanted a school that had economic and cultural diversity. If anyone knows of any, please post. I'll continue to peruse the other postings on the topic.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Kirkwood and Webster Groves will be surprisingly diverse!

Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis