Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times

Advertisements

What about quality of schools? Would'nt that be a priority in choosing where to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM

53 posts, read 203,880 times
I am not sure as I like being amongst trees, but if I live in a communauty, a family environment, I guess for me this is more about the attitude of my neighbours and children/teenagers I care most than good school as such... probably because I am not directly concerned by this aspect, although I find your question justified, I am certainly for a good education for our kids, but I don't feel it is something I need to think about when choosing to buy a house, and I am not clear about what "quality" of school means? are you speaking about the education? the cost? the kids and their behaviour themselves? the quality of tuition? or are you saying that I sho8uld be paying more taxes to be sure we have some schools around for our kids?

I think I am happy with a system like it is now, high taxes on the main residence, why not, if it is a flat income tax and the same for everyone...

But I am not happy to have my income halved no...

I feel more included when I can give more than my taxes to the area... it is not all about money, or is it?

However, when choosing where to live, I think one must be self-aware of where we are going to put ourselves into, I am not suicidal you see... I think and want to know the pros and cons.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM

53 posts, read 196,821 times
The proposed state income tax hike would be an increase from 3% to 4.5%, but the tax hike would be coupled with an increase in the standard deduction and other measures beneficial to lower income folks. This could definitely have an effect on housing prices so I would stay tuned and wait if you have that luxury of time. When calculating your net tax comparison you should be aware that if you live or work in the city of St Louis you will be subject to an additional 1% income tax.

City taxes have already been priced into the market for the most part, so you'll have to determine what you want in an area before narrowing your search. Collective demand for any given area determines its price, that is why it can be said that there is more demand for suburban/exurban areas compared to city properties; the price differences are the result of people voting with their pocketbook and offering more money for a certain home/area. The state of MO forecasts a decline in STL county population over the next decade while the city population is forecasted to remain around its current levels (which have already declined to half of the 1950 peak ). So if you decide on county living be sure to choose your area wisely if you are interested in equity retention.

Cahokia was the original settlement of what has become the St Louis area. This settlement of Frenchmen only moved across statelines as a reaction to the 1763 treaty of Paris which gave land east of the Mississippi (including Cahokia) to the British. While St Louis was slowly developing before this treaty, it was nowhere near as developed as Cahokia was at the time. St Louis unequivocally became what it is today as a result of being a refuge city for Cahokians.

St Louisans exibit a bias towards Illinois residents but you may have to actually be an eastsider to be made aware of it. Case in point, Dupo Illinois is closer to downtown St Louis than both Kirkwood and most of Webster Groves, yet when I mentioned that I live there to several long time St Louisans I was met with stares of dissapproval. Dupo has a crime rate that beats or meets any community in the area and it is filled with great working class people as well as a close knit neighborly community. The school district isn't the best but it is without doubt eons ahead of STL city schools. I recommend that you check it out btw, but the fact that is not priced to reflect these aspects helps to prove my point.

Last edited by johnamus; 03-17-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Two of the differences between IL and MO is population and groceries. Illnois is the 5th largest state. Groceries are taxed at 1% versus the 9% I paid when I lived in Missouri. St. Louis and Chicago both have Trader Joe's, Costco, Ikea, Aldi's and Food 4 Less. I do not know if SL has a Whole Foods store or not. IL and MO probaby have about the same amount of box stores and chain restaurants. IL is a farming state much like Iowa. There are some mighty pretty towns in both states. Handicap license plates are about the same in both states. House and car insurances are about the same. IL is a park state whereas the majority of the Ozark Mountain range is in Missouri. Illinois was settled first. Both states have a long history.

The first inland shot of the Civil War was fired in Missouri. Abraham Lincoln was an Illinois lawyer before he was elected President. The only top 25 ranked hospital in the midwest is Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 AM

ok... so, if one of the differences is groceries... how much is it going to cost me per year in gas to go and buy my food? is gas same price in MO and IL?

Yes, there is a Wholefoods in St. Louis, Brentwood, not far from the Galleria. This said, it takes me 30 minutes to go there if not more as it is always very busy and I live in St. Louis.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 AM

53 posts, read 196,821 times
Gas is roughly 20¢ more expensive in IL due to a higher state gasoline tax that is levied on consumers. The way to minimize your expenditures is to purchase your gas in MO and groceries in IL. This assumes that you would be traveling into the state anyway and you could simply add the grocery/gas stop onto your trip.

I live in IL and usually fill up my tank in MO as I find myself over in that side about every other day anyway.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,868 times
Consider too that MO has a personal property tax on cars, which is yearly. Depending on the age of your vehicles, it might be a wash. Our two newer cars (07 and 08) will cost us around $1400 in property taxes this year. I live in STL and prefer MO to IL, but don't want you to be surprised if you buy on this side of the river, like we were

Old 03-20-2009, 12:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Even with the proposed tax increase, income taxes are higher in Missouri. Sales tax on groceries are higher in Missouri. Personal property taxes on vehicles and other toys exist in Missouri. If you work or live in St. Louis City, there is a city income tax.

In Illinois, you pay higher property taxes. In areas of Missouri, there are tax abatements that reduce your property taxes.

You have to to look at all of the taxes AND you need to look at specific cities before coming to one conclusion.

Personally, if I moved back to the St. Louis area, Edwardsville, IL would make my short list.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What about quality of schools? Would'nt that be a priority in choosing where to live?
That's not an issue, because that can be found on both sides of th river, especially when you are considring a $500,000 purchase on a home.

To answer your question, you have plenty of options in both Illinois and Missouri, but Missouri will have many more options just because it sprawls out further. Plus, Missouri has suburbs connected directly to St Louis (University City, Maplewood, Affton, Lemay, Clayton, tc), while this is impossible for Illinois as it is separated by the Mississippi River. Plus, there are about 10 miles to the east of St Louis that are basically un-inhabitable because they are ghetto (East St. Louis and surrounding towns of Venice, Brooklyn, Washington Park, etc... sorry, but it's true, and this is coming from someone who lives in the city and used to live in Fairview Heights, so don't start playing a race card or a "you don't live here" card, or any other card).

The reason I say there are more options (I'm saying this right now to nix any Illinoisans who are angry because of my factual opinion) is simply this;

POPULATIONS
St. Louis County, Missouri; 995,118
St. Charles County, Missouri; 343,952

St. Clair County, Illinois; 261,316
Madison County, Illinois; 267,347

Please note, St. Louis County does not include St. Louis city as St. Louis city is not a part of St Louis County.

Of course, there are other counties that are considered part of the "metropolitan statistical area," but these are the counties that I actually consider the "St Louis area" when someone is making an inquiry.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Ok, it's been 3 times I am trying to leave a response here, 3 times I have been asked to log on once I sent my message... but I am logged on, so as I don't find where it is saved if it is, I re-write it...I thought the point on equity retention was a good one... so I guess good schools could attract and keep a certain population and therefore help towards a better value of the house... are schools better in IL or MO then? I have not seen much more around in IL...Re: the various taxes, especially those on personal possessions, could you tell me what are they? is a bicycle one? so, if we have 2 cars, we would pay something like $1400 per car and per year... WAOHI liked a house in Belleville IL in a cute subdivision, but not far from a not-to-go area apparently and according to the agent... I would not have known... I still like the house and the subdivision... I also went through the historic part of Edwardsville, very cute indeed... it appeared to me as there were not many shops or town center of course... what if we live in IL and work in MO? do we pay some taxes to only one place or the property in IL and the income in MO? with all this do we have to pay for the Fed one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis