Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

71 posts, read 296,769 times

Advertisements

I think Brickmama and I are always on here lobbying for downtown..LOL! But, really, it's alot of fun and has mostly everything you need. They are currently rennovating an old building that will be turned into a full size grocery store as well so that will make it even better! You can walk to hockey, baseball, football, restaurants, bars, post office, banks..pretty much whatever you want. Hope you'll consider it..and welcome to STL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 PM

14 posts, read 91,915 times
I would have to agree with the above poster about the loft district. I was down there about two weekends ago when the weather was perfect, and it was incredibly vibrant. I've decided that it is definitely the place that I want to be in STL.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 50,009 times
If you are military and are PCS'ing to Scott AFB, the one place you DO NOT want to move to is on base housing. I currently live at Scott AFB and am desperately trying to find a rental off base.

I used to live in Fairview Heights which is about 10 minutes from Scott. I decided to move on base because I thought life would be much easier, considering I'd be surrounded by military families who understand and go through what I go through. In the fall of 2007, I met my new neighbors. Everything was fine and dandy for a little while. Then, my neighbors started to butt in my life.

The woman who lives next door to me does not work and apparently thrives off of what other people do. She started to critize me on what I did and didn't do. Paid attention when I left and came home, what my children did and told me I needed to fix my life. That didn't sit well with me as I minded my own business and never bothered any of my neighbors. She has called housing on me way too many times and has even managed to turn housing against me.

I know what your thinking, "ah, thats just one neighbor", but I assure you, it happens more frequently than one would think. I have spoken to many other woman/men that live on base and have heard similar, if not worse stories about neighbors from hell. I'm sure not all military woman on base behave in such a way, but it does happen. Many times military members regret living on base and the majority agree that you should'nt live on base unless your in a financial strain.

Because my neighbor has called housing on me, I have had to pay multiple $50 fines for the smallest thing. She has called housing on me for not mowing my lawn, considering I do not have a lawn mower and have to wait for one to be available in self-help or borrow one from my neighbor. The one I did have, broke on me. I have to weede around the fence and just conformed to doing my entire lawn with the weed-eater. She also called about my car having a flat tire, my dog who does not bark, my grandmother who came to help me out when my husband was TDY, my window screens that had a few holes in it. It doesn't seem to stop. We have a no contact order between us because we got into an altercation.

Instead of housing dealing with the situation, she called my neighbor to tell her "in detail" the step she took for each complain and went as far to say that I probably put my grandmother in my trunk when I take her out. YES, the HOUSING lady told her this. How do I know? Well, I can't disclose this information for other reasons but lets just say I am good with technology.

If you must live on base, then do so, but if you have the option and availability to move off base, I believe it is the best decision you can make.

Places near Scott AFB (15 minutes or less)
Fairview Heights
Mascoutah
Belleville
Lebanon
Shiloh (5 minutes)
O'Fallon

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 AM

9 posts, read 50,009 times
If you are military and are PCS'ing to Scott AFB, the one place you DO NOT want to move to is on base housing. I currently live at Scott AFB and am desperately trying to find a rental off base.

I used to live in Fairview Heights which is about 10 minutes from Scott. I decided to move on base because I thought life would be much easier, considering I'd be surrounded by military families who understand and go through what I go through. In the fall of 2007, I met my new neighbors. Everything was fine and dandy for a little while. Then, my neighbors started to butt in my life.

The woman who lives next door to me does not work and apparently thrives off of what other people do. She started to critize me on what I did and didn't do. Paid attention when I left and came home, what my children did and told me I needed to fix my life. That didn't sit well with me as I minded my own business and never bothered any of my neighbors. She has called housing on me way too many times and has even managed to turn housing against me.

I know what your thinking, "ah, thats just one neighbor", but I assure you, it happens more frequently than one would think. I have spoken to many other woman/men that live on base and have heard similar, if not worse stories about neighbors from hell. I'm sure not all military woman on base behave in such a way, but it does happen. Many times military members regret living on base and the majority agree that you should'nt live on base unless your in a financial strain.

If you must live on base, then do so, but if you have the option and availability to move off base, I believe it is the best decision you can make.

Places near Scott AFB (15 minutes or less)
Fairview Heights
Mascoutah
Belleville
Lebanon
Shiloh (5 minutes)
O'Fallon

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,850 times
Hello, everyone I am PCSing to Scott in December from Aviano Italy...so I was wondering...do any people on the base live in St Louis. I'm asking because I am very much a city person and have been looking at apartments in the city. According to my GPS the places I have seen are only 30-35 minutes drives; is this accurate? I would love to be in the city so if anyone has any insight please let me know!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,856,417 times
Anastasia,
Great places in the city, commute shouldn't be too bad: Downtown, Soulard, Lafayette Square, Central West End, Tower Grove. I recommened Downtown because you can jump on the metrolink but the other neighborhoods aren't too far from the stations. For instance, my friend lives in Lafayette Square and bikes downtown to get on the metrolink to take out to UMSL (University of Missouri St Louis).

Old 08-16-2009, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,127 times
Brian... I'm a NCO at Scott. Shilo, Belleville, or any town surrounding the base. Call base housing they will send you a map. Shilo is awesome and it's across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis