Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 12,818 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to St. Louis from Denver in a couple months for residencies at Barnes Hospital. We are looking for a neighborhood that is close & safe. When we visited last month, the Holly Hills area and Carondelet Park seemed nice - the park particularly appeals to us since we will be missing our current outdoors lifestyle and we have a dog. How safe is this area? Will I be able to walk the dog early in the morning or later in the evening? Any other areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 PM

49 posts, read 320,234 times
Holly Hills/Carondelet Park area is nice South St. Louis neighborhood. Older families there are mostly German, Italian, and Irish immigrants and now 2nd and 3rd generation. Solid middle class, blue collar neighborhood. A bit of drive from Barnes Hospital though. Have you looked in Clayton, University City, or even parts of South St. Louis between I-44 and Gravois Road along Hampton Ave? There are some really nice homes near Hampton and I-44. Also along 44 just west of the city limits you might want to look around Shrewsbury off of Big Bend, Laclede Station Road, or in Richmond Heights area near I-170 and Hwy. 40.

All of those areas area safe, nice middle class to upper middle class areas with parks, nice homes, etc. and a bit of an easier drive to Barnes than from Carondelet Park Area.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 31,794 times
Default Southwest Garden/Shaw/The Hill Neighborhoods

Some of the safest neighborhoods in the city are right at the doorstep to BJC/Jewish: Southwest Garden/Shaw/The Hill Neighborhoods. All are within walking distance to restaurants, the botanical garden, teh park. All have appreciating property values... with much more diverse housing that you'll find in the gingerbread house neighborhoods. All have very very strong neighborhood associations (for homeowners and renters!).

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM

30 posts, read 183,799 times
Are you looking to rent or buy? I have a 3 bedroom house on the hill but I just rented it!! There is a great house right down the street from me for a really good price though. its a hidden pocket of 13 year old houses.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 12,530 times
Default Living on Holly Hills

My Grandfather lived on Holly Hills for about 30 years and it is a great neighborhood. It is very close to downtown, nice houses and a great park. I agree with other posters in that it can be a buzy drive to Barnes. I would look at the Hill if it was me. Its a straight shot down Kingshighway. Maybe after living in Denver, the drive to Holly Hills wouldn't seem that bad. As far as being safe....it is extremely safe. Cars tend to fly down Holly Hills though. Federer, the street behind Holly Hills, is also very nice. Early in the morning and later in the evening, you won't believe the amount of people walking dogs, running, cycling ect... If I were to move back to STL, I would definately be looking at the Holly Hills neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 11,648 times
I am a resident at Barnes and I think Holly Hills is a great neighborhood. My wife and I bought a house near Carondelet park and we have been very happy here. It is a 20 minute 5.4 mile drive to Barnes. I would like to be little closer but this is the closest safe and affordable neighborhood we could find to buy a house in. There is a great sense of community here. We see our neighbors out walking/running/biking all the time and are members of our community garden. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. We will be moving on in July 2009 for more training.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,669 times
Holly Hills is a nice neighborhood, and Carondolet Park is one of my favorites...The houses seem to be larger there than in most South city neighborhoods, especially along major roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis