Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 30,484 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to December, and my some of my family is considering relocating as well. We're not planning on living together, as we all are looking for very different types of places.

My mom -- Early 50's, would be working downtown St. Louis. Would probably prefer not to live down town.

My dad -- Would be able to afford someplace more expensive, really likes Compton Heights (or other places like it).

My sister -- Late 20's, married with 2 kids...schooling is an issue as she has a newborn and a 6 year old. She also is a special education teacher. Where is somewhere (a suburb or something) that wouldn't be too pricey but that had decent schools for her to teach at and her kids to go to.

I was just wondering where they should look. Thanks! I'm moving just outside of Soulard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:01 PM

109 posts, read 245,806 times
For your mom I would recommend Shrewsbury ...then she can ride the Metrolink Downtown and it is a nice area. Georgetown Apartments are a nice place to start although there are very affordable houses there too. For your sister I would recommend (with schools in mind) kirkwood, afton, or webster area. Good schools and good housing options.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:57 PM

270 posts, read 854,785 times
You're Dad sounds like a Central West End or Clayton type of guy. I agree with stlma that your sister would enjoy kirkwood, afton, of webster grove. Your mother, if she's looking for apartments, could live just about anywhere, but since she likes suburbs, I would suggest almost anywhere in west or south county. She can hop on any of the major highways from there.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,375 times
I agree that your dad sounds like a Clayton guy. My father is similar (not afraid to spend money!) and that is definitely where he would live if he were to move here. Kirkwood and Webster (as well as Brentwood) are great areas but they actually may seem overpriced at first glance, so your sister may want to look deeper within some of these nice districts to find the less expensive areas to live. There are even some areas in Ladue schools that aren't as over priced as everyone would think.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 655,892 times
For the others, I would suggest they rent for a while and find out firsthand what works for them. It's hard to make suggestions without knowing their hobbies and how much they like/dislike driving and such. There isn't much competition for space in St. Louis so moving around is easy.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-29-2009 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: remove link

Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,471 times
Woahdell,
For your Mom: Richmond Heights, Webster Groves, Brentwood, Kirkwood
For your Dad: Compton Heights, University City, Clayton
Sister: South County, West County, St Charles County
You: Welcome to south city, I love it here.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
Georgetown Apartments for all. Great location, great school district, beautiful property and professional staff.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
Not sure why everyone is suggesting a suburb to your dad. If your dad likes Compton Heights, there are 20 other city neighborhoods that would be a good fit for him. Central West End, Tower Grove, Lafayette Square, Carondelet Park, Holly Hills, The Hill.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
And I should also mention that it's amazing that your entire family is picking up like that. I wish my family would have followed me, our lives would be a lot easier!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 30,484 times
Thanks to everyone's responses Getting ready to make the move in less than two weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis