Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot about the Bosnian community in St. Louis recently, and am very impressed by the number of Bosnian restaurants in St. Louis. Does anyone have any input on which of these restaurants are the best? The three that are getting favorable reviews are Grbic, Taft St. Restaurant and Bar, and Bosna Gold. I'd like to get some more opinions, as my wife and I will be visiting St. Louis soon, and would like to sample the Bosnian cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 AM

10 posts, read 25,132 times
i'm not totally sure yet i'm bosnian and moving to that area soon, I know Bevo-South city is the large bosnian area in STL. But good luck

Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I'm definitely not an expert and I really would like to explore that area more as soon as I spend some significant time back in St. Louis, but I've been to one deli in Bevo that I thought was quite good called Berix.

It's a really casual deli style place and really quite inexpensive.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I've been reading a lot about the Bosnian community in St. Louis recently, and am very impressed by the number of Bosnian restaurants in St. Louis. Does anyone have any input on which of these restaurants are the best? The three that are getting favorable reviews are Grbic, Taft St. Restaurant and Bar, and Bosna Gold. I'd like to get some more opinions, as my wife and I will be visiting St. Louis soon, and would like to sample the Bosnian cuisine.
Bosna Gold is great, the staff will help you with choosing what to eat...

Other place you may want to check out is Berix, its about .5mile down the road from BG.

or just drive down Gravois and walk in any Bosnian place, the food will be great and the staff will be helpful.

some foods that you may want to try: cevapi- all places have it

Burek- once again all places have it.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
If your looking for good Bosnian restaurants, south city is your best bet.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:38 PM

My wife and I drove around the Bevo area a little while in St. Louis, and we decided to try Taft St. Restaurant and Bar. It was excellent!!! The outside looks nice but pretty normal. The inside, though, is decorated beautifully, and looks kind of elegant and upscale in the restaurant part. The bar section is in the back, and is separate from the restaurant.

The food was absolutely delicious, and fairly reasonably priced. One of the tastiest things on the menu was the fried goat cheese. This was an appetizer, and was absolute heaven, IMO. I've always liked goat cheese, and this was some of the best I've ever had, even better than imported Turkish goat cheese (which is extremely tasty if you're a goat cheese fan). Another great thing was the dinner rolls that our waitress brought as soon as we sat down. They were definitely the largest dinner rolls we'd ever seen, and possibly the tastiest.

Our waitress was an older Bosnian lady with a very thick accent who was very polite and pleasant. We were surprised that there were not more people eating at this restaurant as it is so good, and so nice. Once this place is discovered, I suspect people will head to Bevo from all over the St. Louis area to eat here!!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM

10 posts, read 75,787 times
im bosnian and live in st. louis. Grbic is one of my favorite. Also, next door to Bosna Gold there is a restaurant that just opened called Laganini, been there once, owner is seems like a great guy (this is all in the bevo area). Berix also is good, just opened up a new location at lemay ferry rd. and reavis baracks road in south county area, a little south of the bevo mill. The new berix was more of a fast food type of place, but pretty good. Also in south county, sarajevo, a small grill/restaurant is good.... cant think of any others right now but we def. have some great bosnian food.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHStL View Post
im bosnian and live in st. louis. Grbic is one of my favorite. Also, next door to Bosna Gold there is a restaurant that just opened called Laganini, been there once, owner is seems like a great guy (this is all in the bevo area). Berix also is good, just opened up a new location at lemay ferry rd. and reavis baracks road in south county area, a little south of the bevo mill. The new berix was more of a fast food type of place, but pretty good. Also in south county, sarajevo, a small grill/restaurant is good.... cant think of any others right now but we def. have some great bosnian food.
Cool!! When we visit again, we'll have to sample Laganini. Do you know if they are as expensive as Grbic or Bosna Gold?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 75,787 times
no, fairly priced as far as i remember.... maybe around Grbic price or so. I believe the owner is a musician who actually used to play and sing at Bosna Gold on the weekends before, and now opened up a restaurant next door. Id recommend looking Laganini up, and calling and seeing when they will be having live music, so you can enjoy some of our ethnic tunes while dining.... i believe it may be music on fridays, but not positive.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHStL View Post
no, fairly priced as far as i remember.... maybe around Grbic price or so. I believe the owner is a musician who actually used to play and sing at Bosna Gold on the weekends before, and now opened up a restaurant next door. Id recommend looking Laganini up, and calling and seeing when they will be having live music, so you can enjoy some of our ethnic tunes while dining.... i believe it may be music on fridays, but not positive.
That would be really enjoyable to hear some of the Bosnian music!! I was reading about "sevdah", I believe it was called, in an article, the Bosnian folk music that was described as being similar to Turkish folk music, which I really enjoy. Lots of beautiful melodies, musically intricate with the quarter tones, and so emotionally expressive.

I'm a trumpet player and part Slovenian ancestry, used to play my trumpet a little at a Slovenian Club a few years back. They had a buttonbox ensemble with the buttonbox players as the focus, but a clarinetist and myself used to play along on some of the folk tunes. Great times!! Is buttonbox accordion prominent in the Bosnian folk music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: