Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 872,034 times

Advertisements

an hour and a half train ride to Chicago would be tops. It used to take me that long to get from the Berwyn Red Line stop to 55th and Cottage Grove by the U of C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
But, how much would you pay for a ticket and for what level of service?

Wait, lets do this right.
For a two hour train ride from St. Louis to Chicago -

What would you pay for a comfortable seat with arm rests and a table?

What would you pay for that seat and a lunch service?

For both of those and a high speed internet connection?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 AM

414 posts, read 884,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
But, how much would you pay for a ticket and for what level of service?

Wait, lets do this right.
For a two hour train ride from St. Louis to Chicago -

What would you pay for a comfortable seat with arm rests and a table?

What would you pay for that seat and a lunch service?

For both of those and a high speed internet connection?
Tiered pricing with charges for options.

I feel a basic ticket from STL to Chicago should run around 25 to 35 dollars.

You can upgrade to a premium seat or even a suite (if avail). Prices for those things would vary as it would be the main profit driver as it is with airlines.

Internet $5 for access during the trip.

A dinner car would provide food, if desired. I would expect those prices to be elevated to the level of what you would find at a venue.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
I forget where I read about proposed pricing, but it was a bit more than $25-35. In fact, that's around what the lowest fare is right now.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
New estimates are 4hrs from StL to Chicago. You don't have to arrive super early and you're dropped off right downtown. So if you're headed to the loop area of Chicago it's probably about a wash on time.

I'd pay nearly as much as I would for a plane ticket. Wouldn't you?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM

414 posts, read 884,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I forget where I read about proposed pricing, but it was a bit more than $25-35. In fact, that's around what the lowest fare is right now.
It was an educated guess based on what it costs to drive there, the added efficiency of trains and just how few creature comforts they could provide. Sprinkle in some optimism too .

I guess it would make sense to have a higher ticket price to allow for the trains to be more attractive. Maybe after this is all more established we can get to see the ultra economy service.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
my problem with driving to Chicago is
A: the traffic
B: if you're staying at a nice place Downtown, expect to pay ~$45/night to park your car

Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
B: if you're staying at a nice place Downtown, expect to pay ~$45/night to park your car
This. I grew up in the Chicago area, and I've never actually driven to the city.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
I think those prices are incredibly optimistic. For successful implementation you'd have to have pricing in line with the competition (driving/flying) and or provide a service that's better or more convenient.

Personally, i see no reason that the service couldn't be better than any thing currently offered on the route. Southwest's fares are great, but you'll get hassled through security (god forbid you have more than 3 oz of a liquid), after which you'll get to wait wait wait for the plane, then you can fight for a seat (it'll most likely be between two overweight guys in tank tops in the heat of summer), you'll be hoping that there's room for baggage in the overhead, if not, it'll get checked at the plane, and then be delivered to you at the destination airport in the baggage claim (isn't it great you decided not to check your bag)....aka, airline travel SUX!!! Unless you're going overseas, or across the country, i'd have zero desire to fly...From a guy who used to commute Kansas City to St. Louis for work, could arrive at the gate several minutes before departure, didn't have to wait in security lines, and was so used to the airline schedule that i could have recited it from memory it would still only save me about 30 minutes door to plane vs driving to St. Louis.

As for Chicago, it's a bit further drive which will make the time vs driving better....if they're attempting to offer a service that's slower than flying (which it appears they are) and slightly faster than driving then i'd expect prices to be somewhere in between the two. You can offer low fare tickets and just deal with no one buying the highend stuff, but id' rather see them offer higher ticket prices and significantly faster service...just cutting out the flying hassle and getting rid of long drive times would garner tons of attention.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^Airline prices have gone up a good deal in the last couple of years -- and that's a trend you'll almost certainly see continue. I can't remember the last time I saw a $49 fun fare to Chicago. I think those days are long gone.

I just looked at their Web site and if I wanted to fly to Chicago the first weekend of May -- even doing the typically cheaper Thursday/Monday flights, their fun fares start at $89 each way -- with taxes that $199! Amtrak wouldn't have to be particularly cheap to make that seem worthwhile!

And then if you drive, even if you know where to park outside of downtown to avoid parking fees, you've still got some pretty significant gas prices! It's almost exactly 600 miles roundtrip, so even if you get lets say an average of 30 miles to the gallon, with gas prices at $3.50 that's $70 round trip in gas alone.

Given its popularity among students and the fact that it drops you off right in the heart of the city, I think HSR's biggest competitor might well be Megabus. That is an awesome service. But I also know that their afternoon bus out of Chicago takes more than an hour extra than it should because it gets stuck in Chicago's afternoon rush. I used to see it stuck on 55 southbound every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis