Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 PM

711 posts, read 2,099,322 times

Advertisements

^ Thank you very much for your response; you hit it on the head perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,581,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelmel View Post
Aaroncardstl,

This is pretty ironic in a post about diversity in St. Louis. Black people are more diverse than what you describe as "urban" i.e. we don't all wear saggy pants, listen to rap, break dance, tag buildings, and spit rhymes. But you wouldn't know this since you spend all your time on Wikipedia reading up on euphamisms for black culture.

According to your definition of "urban" meaning black culture, I guess all the history books should read that black history simply started with beatboxes and sneakers on the streets of NYC in the 1980s. Geez. I guess all my forefathers who weren't apart of hip hop culture weren't black either....hahaha

If you want to say the CWE has less black people, then just say it. Your attempt to be PC has led you astray...
No, not really. Hip hop and black culture is the best way I could think to describe what I meant. Just listen. Does the Central West End have the same feel and vibe as Tower Grove South? No it doesn't. And less black people isn't the point that i'm trying to get across, it's beyond that.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM

18 posts, read 39,083 times
Aaron,

What you're saying makes sense to me. CWE is a fairy-tale, scrubbed-and-polished, Disney version of an "urban" community. It reminds me of the dollhouse downtowns of old inner-ring suburbs in the North Shore of Chicago. It is reasonably populous and dense - but highly circumscribed, surrounded by private, gated streets, and sorely lacking the cultural diversity that epitomizes a true urban environment, as far as I'm concerned. It's yuppie urban.

Whereas the urban character of Tower Grove South, to me, is much more of the real thing.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell View Post
Aaron,

What you're saying makes sense to me. CWE is a fairy-tale, scrubbed-and-polished, Disney version of an "urban" community. It reminds me of the dollhouse downtowns of old inner-ring suburbs in the North Shore of Chicago. It is reasonably populous and dense - but highly circumscribed, surrounded by private, gated streets, and sorely lacking the cultural diversity that epitomizes a true urban environment, as far as I'm concerned. It's yuppie urban.

Whereas the urban character of Tower Grove South, to me, is much more of the real thing.
I think you sort of understand my point, at least more than the two previous posters, but I never said the CWE isn't diverse because that defenitely is not true. It's easily one of the best neighborhoods of the city in many ways including diversity and one of my favorites.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 PM

508 posts, read 1,018,815 times
[quote=tropolis;9743484]If you look at the history of this country though, you would have to admit whites perpetuated most of the racism.

Even apparently in St. Louis according to aaronstlcards layout, whites still choose to stay away from blacks because they don't like black people.[\quote]

No offense but this is one of the most stupid things i have ever heard....

Dude people, what is all this nonsence about white / black / hispanic / asian... i know more trailer trash white people then i do ghetto black people...

and seriously, no one here has owned or been a slave... I understand it was a bad thing but we cant change what some old guys did like 4 zillion years ago. you dont hear mexican people still talking about this... hello almost every race at one time or another has been either a slave or slave labor... seriously its the 21st centery already... if anything we are all marked by cell phone brand and computer brand more then color... that whole black white attitude is so 19th centery!!!!

cant we all just hold hands and sing already....

Last edited by Grofica; 08-15-2009 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: didnt post write see quote marks

Old 08-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
Dude people, what is all this nonsence about white / black / hispanic / asian... i know more trailer trash white people then i do ghetto black people...

You must not live in the city.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,018,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
I wasnt born in a big city but i have lived quite a few places... and then been to many more... I travel alot...

Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with him either but I bet you still don't understand my point from earlier. I really wish you could though.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM

I think a lot of people in this thread, not just you aaronstlcards, have a hard time understanding an urban neighborhood.

Nobody is saying Portland or Seattle, because they are 75% and 67% white respectively, and less than 10% black apiece, are not urban or are "scrubbed" or "Disney" versions of an urban city. The CWE is a very urban neighborhood. Sorry if it is not to your diversity standards. Tokyo is one of those world-class cities you always hear about ---how diverse is it?

Seattle and Portland are cool, hip, urban cities that are the place to be right now, both growing. Yet, check out their population break down compared to the Central West End.

//pics.city-data.com/craces/23292.jpg (broken link)
//pics.city-data.com/craces/18094.jpg (broken link)

Urban (my paraphrased definition) = population density, walkability, local shops/restaurants available (not a strip mall with a Subway and Little Caesar's but small corner stores, pubs, and restaurants).

Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of people in this thread, not just you aaronstlcards, have a hard time understanding an urban neighborhood.

Nobody is saying Portland or Seattle, because they are 75% and 67% white respectively, and less than 10% black apiece, are not urban or are "scrubbed" or "Disney" versions of an urban city. The CWE is a very urban neighborhood. Sorry if it is not to your diversity standards. Tokyo is one of those world-class cities you always hear about ---how diverse is it?

Seattle and Portland are cool, hip, urban cities that are the place to be right now, both growing. Yet, check out their population break down compared to the Central West End.

Urban (my paraphrased definition) = population density, walkability, local shops/restaurants available (not a strip mall with a Subway and Little Caesar's but small corner stores, pubs, and restaurants).
I don't get it, when did I ever say that the CWE isn't diverse . And again, i'm talking about Tower Grove South having more urban culture than the CWE, not being more urban in the sense of population density, walkability and restaurants, although both neighborhoods fit this usage of the word urban. And "urban" in the way i'm using it doesn't necessarily mean having more black people, but generally those things do go together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis