Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering because Saint Louis is losing population, suburbs are growing fast and when i look at the posts, most of the people who are moving to "Saint Louis" are usually looking for it suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,652 times
I have to correct a few things before addressing your question.

1) St. Louis city is not losing population and has gained population since 2000. St. Louis county, a significant chunk of the suburbs is actually losing population, but granted most of those losses are to St. Charles, another suburb.

2) If you look around here and other St. Louis forums you will see a lot of people are looking to the city, not the suburbs...at least half by my rough estimation. So I would not agree that "most" people here are looking for suburbs.

3) The answer to your question is that when talking to out of towners, yes people from the suburbs almost always refer to themselves as being from St. Louis. When talking to another person from the St. Louis area they will say they are from whatever suburb or town they are from.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,408 times
Like the poster above said, St. Louis is definetly not losing population. Since the 2000 census, estimates say that St. Louis has gained about 5,000 people.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times
well 5,000 people is nothing for a city this size. In the last 50 years there was a massive loss in population

Old 07-13-2009, 12:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Most people do generally. St. Louis City is only 60 square miles, and St. Louis County is less than ten miles from downtown in any direction (except east). Most people from St. Louis County usually refer to themselves as being from St. Louis. It should be noted that St. Louis County was once part of St. Louis City. People from across the river in Illinois and in St. Charles County generally go by their specific locations, as do people in Jefferson County and Franklin County. If you ask for the locations they will describe it relative to St. Louis. That's what I've observed. It also depends on who is asking the question...if it's from somebody not from the area, you'll usually just get "St. Louis." However, if you are a local, you'll pretty much get the criteria described above...also, people living in St. Louis County will likely go more specific with the exact location in the St. Louis metro area they are from.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
well 5,000 people is nothing for a city this size. In the last 50 years there was a massive loss in population
It only started gaining in population in 2000. 5,000 people is noticeable growth.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM

74 posts, read 182,167 times
5,000 people in 9 years time seems largely insignificant from my perspective. St. Louis city proper is actually very small, and there really aren't a whole lot of reasons to live there. I've found that the suburb locations tend to have more to offer than the city itself. There are still reasons to go to the city, such as for sporting events or museums and such - but overall, I think St. Louis city contributes very little to what the entire metro area has to offer. City Garden is a cool new attraction, but STL city still has a ways to go before it starts attracting more people to live in the city core. Just my opinion on the matter - If I knew someone that was moving to the area I'd recommend certain suburbs over the city, but if I knew someone that was moving to a larger city like Chicago I'd recommend living in the city so that it's easier to take advantage of all the city has to offer.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
its like being from LA or NY. To outsiders, if you live in the burbs you are still an Angeleno or New Yorker. Its only when you are a local do you express a sense of locality.

it doesn't help much in places like Saint Louis county where even if you live in Des Pere, Clayton or any of the other local municipalities, you still can have your mail delivered to a Saint Louis Address.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM

71 posts, read 297,693 times
Eyeam, do you live in STL City? I live here and personally think it is wonderful. Yes, it has some growing pains there are certain areas that are still not great, but considering where it was just a few years back..I find it hard to believe that someone would say it has little to offer. I by no means am trying to start any wars here..I like to live a peaceful existence online and off but some people think the City is a pretty darn good place to live.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM

74 posts, read 182,167 times
Oh, I'm not saying it's a terrible place to be. My only point was that considering the entire STL metro area, I think the city core contributes only a fraction of what there is to see and do. In larger cities, typically everything there is to do is within the city itself, so it's usually best to live in the city (if you can afford it) in order to take advantage of everything. Much of what St. Louis has to offer though is very spread out, and that is basically why I wouldn't recommend living in the city itself, but I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis