Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM

14 posts, read 23,781 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been discussed on here...I'm brand new and strongly considering a move to the St. Louis area for graduate school. We're looking for a rural/country lifestyle area to move to (hopefully) within an hour drive of downtown, preferrably on the south, SW or west side of the city. To be honest, we are simply country people and would appreciate any suggestions. I just thought there may be a certain area around St. Louis that is more "country" than others (I'm not talking about mobile home parks and methlabs!---more like farm families, small schools, etc.) Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM

25 posts, read 87,067 times
Take a look at Washington, MO. Great town! Small town feel w/many city amenities.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I like Defiance. It the wine Country.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
If you are willing to live in Illinois, there are numerous really nice country areas within an hour's drive. Look at the area around Edwardsville or south of Columbia.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Sainte Genevieve, its the best, and exactly an hour to downtown, you will have the best of both worlds. Its wine country, rural, but close enough to get to STL quickly.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...keep 'em coming if there's more.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
HCC

88 posts, read 290,337 times
I can't remember how far out it is exactly, (couldn't be more than an hr/15) but what about Ozora, MO? I remember driving out to Perryville once with a friend in the 90s and we both thought it looked like the European countryside. Beautiful, rolling hills that went on and on and a tiny old Romanesque church looking down from a hilltop. We couldn't resist, so we drove around the winding roads up to the old church and it was open. The views from the hill top were spectacular. Definitely look into it.

Just looked it up-
Ozora to STL: 53.4 miles

Last edited by HCC; 07-29-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCC View Post
I can't remember how far out it is exactly, (couldn't be more than an hr/15) but what about Ozora, MO? I remember driving out to Perryville once with a friend in the 90s and we both thought it looked like the European countryside. Beautiful, rolling hills that went on and on and a tiny old Romanesque church looking down from a hilltop. We couldn't resist, so we drove around the winding roads up to the old church and it was open. The views from the hill top were spectacular. Definitely look into it.

Just looked it up-
Ozora to STL: 53.4 miles
Pssst, lemme tell ya a secret, thats Sainte Genevieve County. There is not much there in that area but what you saw, but it sure is beautiful. I went to school there, my family has been in the area since 1699, I miss it. Thats my slice of heaven, and I am just a week and a day from being there!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:55 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Some friendly advice from a former graduate student...you may want to re-think two hours in the car every day commuting from home to school and back. Time can be very precious in graduate school, and that 10-12 hours a week spent commuting could be better spent working on classwork or simply relaxing and winding down from the stress of being a student. It is easy to spend 12+ hours a day on campus as a graduate student (I routinely spent up to 14 hours a day my final semester working), which leaves little additional time to commute, and the dangers of having an hour's drive when you are very tired and stressed.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM

I kinda weighing the pro's and con's of the drive issue versus living in the city (I would consider a suburb 'the city' compared to where we live now!) Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis