Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,727 times

Advertisements

Bostonienne,
The Central West End is one of my favorite neighborhoods in St Louis and they have alot of middle age professionals. Other areas to check out: Soulard, Downtown and Benton Park. Welcome to St Louis, coming from Boston you should enjoy the much cheaper cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM

147 posts, read 383,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonienne View Post
May I jump in?

I'm coming in from the East Coast, definitely looking forward to the friendlier midwestern living that I've found in St. Louis! Looking for a neighborhood of young to middle age professionals, not particularly family oriented. Also thinking of renting for a while at first. I am going to look at loft apartments in CWE - the Taylor-Olive building and Field School - anybody have input on these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Both of those buildings are great, but they're kind of on the northern periphery of the CWE. I'd check out buildings a few blocks to the south. I'd also recommend DeBaliviere Place, which is just west of the CWE and borders Forest Park.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM

147 posts, read 383,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs05 View Post
HI every one. My wife and I will be moving to the St Louis area at the end of September. We are currently trying to find a place to live. The one major issue I am having is there are so many communities. I will be working downtown by the federal building. I am looking for about a 30 to 45 minute commute maybe a one hour commute would work too. I want to live in a safe place where I can walk down the street and not have to carry a weapon. We do not have kids yet but will in the near future so school systems need to be pretty decent. I would like to live by or near a lake. I have looked at Lake St Louis but it seems like there is a ton of restrictions and requirements. Is there any other lake communities around there? Also we are looking to spend around 165k for a house if that is possible. Also if any one know real estate around the area what price range should be the max I look at if I want to spend 165k. Thanks for your time and information.
Here's a suggestion - Crestwood. The Lindbergh School District is highly-rated and the houses are pretty affordable. The location is good - you'll be just a short drive from downtown. Shrewsbury is a good choice too - you'll have Webster Groves schools and a great commute. Shrewsbury even has its own MetroLink stop.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL4eva View Post
Check out Kinloch and Wellston as well for an affordable, contemporary quality of life.
/sarc

Fixed!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL4eva View Post
Check out Kinloch and Wellston as well for an affordable, contemporary quality of life.

This person's nuts. This is clearly trolling. Moderator? Are you out there?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM

71 posts, read 297,693 times
Bostonienne, definitely check out downtown (Washington Avenue, Locust Street also has some really nice lofts), Soulard, and CWE like you mentioned. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of those three..they are all great and have their own unique qualities!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,420 times
[quote=Marksman84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna
I
LSL is also very republican, very conservative and very safe (i think it is the second safest community in Missouri). I'm a west coast liberaland has not had any problems fitting into the area.

Ah ha! Now I understand the basis for your negative, cynical perception on life. This would make sense. As well as your choice of verb tense!
Marksman, c'mon. Dinsdale has only recently began having a few good things to say, no need to get on his back for a silly mistake.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Thanks AJohnston, and I even get along with conservative republicans. I'm just embracing the suck and trying to find the positive. Was out sailing today. Beautiful weather, but not much wind. LSL has the triathlon next week. Maybe I'll compete next year. The BBQ is making me fat. I need a diversion.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,146 times
I have done jobs for several very good realtors who works in YOUR BEST interest. If anyone is interested contact me.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,307 times
Thanks for all the information and opinions. My wife decided that she wants to buy a house right away. Since I am a loving husband I told her yes. So she has a few picked out she wants to look at. Any one know anything good or bad about Wentzville, MO she found 2 houses she loves there. Also what about Ballwin and St Charles what are your opinions on them. Lake St Louis is out of the question for me right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis