Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs05 View Post
Thanks for all the information and opinions. My wife decided that she wants to buy a house right away. Since I am a loving husband I told her yes. So she has a few picked out she wants to look at. Any one know anything good or bad about Wentzville, MO she found 2 houses she loves there. Also what about Ballwin and St Charles what are your opinions on them. Lake St Louis is out of the question for me right now.
So you have decided on far flung suburbia as opposed to the city? Wentzville is exurbia, 40 miles out of the city, St Charles is 25 out. Sorry you had to let go of your urban desire, you have no chance of that in St Chuck or Wentz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
The new parts of Wentzville are nice. (the older part reminds me of Mayberry on meth) But there really isn't a helluva a lot to do there.

Its definitely in the transition area where you start hearing more country music in the stores.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM

147 posts, read 383,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs05 View Post
Thanks for all the information and opinions. My wife decided that she wants to buy a house right away. Since I am a loving husband I told her yes. So she has a few picked out she wants to look at. Any one know anything good or bad about Wentzville, MO she found 2 houses she loves there. Also what about Ballwin and St Charles what are your opinions on them. Lake St Louis is out of the question for me right now.
I would avoid all of those options.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
I would avoid all of those options.
Good call.

Buying a house first thing in a place you are completely unfamiliar is a tad silly.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 AM

270 posts, read 655,892 times
I agree renting would be a good option to get a feel for things. I guess you can always put it back on the market if you decide it's really not for you. Because office buildings are sprawling further and further out from the "city" (if there is such a thing other than lines on a map) it's hard to say where you might end up working one day anyway. As people move further out to get away from the sprawl, they begin taking their offices with them which pulls people further out and so on.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,433 times
My husband is working in a Refinery in Wood River Illinois, and it has become a permanent position, Now we are going to finish out our 17 yr. old sons last year at school, then move maybe this next summer...I still have a 10 yr old and I would like to live in St. Louis. We are coming from Fort Wayne, Indiana, so what we are looking for is a house to rent with animals, good schools, lots of trees, in the streets, no association fee's, Just a nice friendly neighborhood, safe and maybe find a place on the same side of the city that would take for my husband to cross over into Wood River without going thru all of St. Louis. Is there an area like this on that side of town? I have lived in Ft.Wayne IN, my whole life so this will be a culture shock and I am very excited because I have heard so many good thing about your city. My son that is left in school will be going into 6th, grade if that helps... PLEASE if anyone can help me with ANY info, about making the BIG move I would appreciate it so much....Then later once we get a feel for the city We will buy a house.... PLEASE HELP

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,409 times
Bostonienne- CWE sounds like a good match for you. You may also want to consider Brentwood, Clayton, and University City. All are central, are filled with younger professionals, and are near the epicenter of the cultural happenings in St Louis.

Ribs- If your price range is 165K and below and being on /near a lake (more than a wimpy pond) is very important to you... the Illinois side may be a better bet for you. Particularly as you will be working downtown, the commute would be an absolute breeze. We really don't have a lot of lake communities in the Metropolitain area. The little ones that we DO have, they tend to be extremely expensive.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
You can get a condo at Lake Saint Louis for around $165. There is a nice 4 bedroom home in our neighborhood that is running around 200K with a very motivated seller.

I wouldn't call either Lake at LSL wimpy. The little lake is a bit quieter, but you can still get a good 1500 meters out of it. The larger lake is big enough to support water skiers and rednecks in overpowered bassboats. Fortunately neither lake allows jetskis and other PWCs.

If you like being around the Boston Brahmin wannabee, you will love Clayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis