Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM

132 posts, read 389,443 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is a transplant, and she loves historic Main Street in St. Charles. She is looking for other historic small towns to visit that are within a few hours drive from St. Louis. She says that, so far, nothing has come close to St. Charles. She likes Alton, too, but to a lesser degree. She likes walking trails, specialty shops, antiques, and regional restaurants/bakeries...a nice place to spend a whole day.

If anyone can recommend a town to visit that sort of compares to the atmosphere of historic Main Street in St. Charles, please share. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Downtown St. Charles is a neat area, until you realize all the Tsatke shops sell the same tourist crap

Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM

33 posts, read 65,053 times
Default Try Hannibal or Louisiana

I've been to Louisiana, MO, once, and it was quaint enough. From the looks of it, though, Hannibal probably has a little more tourist appeal. Both are within a few hours drive of St Louis. I'm interested in going up to Hannibal for the Autumn Historic Folklife Festival, Oct 17-18.

Quote:
Join us in the Historic District on the third weekend in October for our 33rd annual Folklife Festival. Stroll the streets among artists and artisans demonstrating lifestyles and folk arts of the mid-1800's. Enjoy the sounds of street musicians, storytellers and the smell and taste of food and beverages prepared over wood fires. Bring your appetite, the smell of homemade food and beverages is irresistible! (573) 221-6545

Last edited by Marka; 11-26-2009 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: removed url

Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Hannibal was a big disappointment. A filthy little village with no real sense of its own place in literary history. I was expecting so much more.

Even the fake riverboat ride was lame ( I used to be a pilot/mate on a real sternwheeler), and the crew was unfriendly. We would have been fired if we treated our passengers like they did.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Hannibal was a big disappointment. A filthy little village with no real sense of its own place in literary history. I was expecting so much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Even the fake riverboat ride was lame ( I used to be a pilot/mate on a real sternwheeler), and the crew was unfriendly. We would have been fired if we treated our passengers like they did.

Wonderful! St. Charles and Hannibal are two more cities that stave off the californication process. Hopefully the list will continue to grow!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM

You are wrong. These are two towns that have the potential to draw in good crowds and generate revenue. You don't need to put in Starbucks or other franchise eateries, but you do have to make the area appealing to outsiders, not just the locals that seem to be OK with mediocrity.

Just so I won't seem biased against this area, My home town of Hyde Park, NY has the same problem. There are two nearby villages of Red Hook and Rhinbeck that have created a nice environment with sidewalk cafes, clubs, coffee houses and theatres (no franchise eateries!). They are drawing tourists from across the country.

Ironically, the historic town is Hyde Park, Home of FDR, the VanderBilts (and Ricky Horton). But since Hyde PArk does not have a viable tourist infrastructure in place, they are losing revenue to the other villages.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 AM

270 posts, read 854,785 times
Back to the question at hand, if your friend went to Alton, did she go the rest of the way up and check out Grafton? I love this little town and they have done a ton with it in the past 5 years. Also check out Lebanon. It's small, but the main street is quite nice.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM

71 posts, read 260,938 times
Other then Downtown St. Charles, I have been to two other places, that reminded me of St. Charles

Columbia, Mo

Sedalia, MO, a few hours drive from St. Louis

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,337 times
I will second the suggestion for Columbia, Missouri.

I can't believe that no one has suggested Hermann, Missouri. It is the epicenter of Missouri wine production and has a very quaint downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis