Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 03:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times

Advertisements

History of the Cupples Stations here:
St. Louis Historic Preservation
http://builtstlouis.net/cupples00.html

Currently, some are under renovation. Cupples Station number 7 (11th and Spruce) is owned by Blue Urban. I do very much appreciate their renovations on the other Cupples buildings. However, number 7 appears to have much roof damage, as is seen here:
Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

I very much hope this roof can be repaired. It certainly won't get better on its own. Nobody wants another surface lot Downtown when it means the destruction of this beautiful building.

According to another site, the roof damage has increased since this picture was taken. I know times are hard economically, and that Blue Urban is working hard, but something needs to be done to secure this building, before it becomes unstable, if it is not already.

This is from April 2008:
Quote:
Another building, located at 11th and Spruce, remains undeveloped.
Osborn & Barr, Adamson sign on at Cupples Station - St. Louis Business Journal:

Undeveloped is one thing. Completely abandoned with the roof caving in is something else entirely. If you're going to develop it all, it needs to be repaired, before more water damage occurs.

Blue Urban's website:
Blue Urban - Urban Developers

I used the "Contact us" button at BlueUrban.com to send this. Even if no one reads it, I feel good about sending it:
Quote:
I appreciate very much what your firm has done to develop the Cupples Station Lofts. St. Louisans really appreciate all of your work.

That said, I am concerned about Cupples Station Number 7 (I think it is) at 11th and Spruce. An article in the St. Louis Business Journal said that that building remains undeveloped. But I'm confused about your plans? Do you plan to develop it later or are you going to demolish it?

The reason I ask, is that bing.com's Bird's eye view Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible (http://tinyurl.com/pnj5wl - broken link) shows much damage to the roof of Cupples Station number 7. I have also been told the roof damage has increased since that picture was taken.

I realize times are hard economically, but is anything going to be done about this roof? How can you develop it later when you do nothing to repair it?

I can see that you are a preservationist. I also understand that you are a businessman. I know you have your bottom line to look after. But PLEASE don't let this building fall to the wrecking ball. I'm not saying you should redevelop it right now. Money is tight in this country. But please at least try to stabilize, if it can be stabilized.

Thank you.
Contact Blue Urban about this if you would like. You can also contact Mayor Slay. Mayor Slay's Website

If you want to keep up with Mayor Slay, he also has a Twitter account:
MayorSlay.com (MayorSlay) on Twitter

I very much hope this building is saved. Even if it is not redeveloped right away, the roof needs to be fixed. I'm not expert on buildings, but this doesn't look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,272 times
Ultimately, all interested parties will have to do a cost-benefit analysis and determine through multiple scenarios whether it is more cost efficient to repair or demolish the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis