Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sorry, but your analysis is not correct. Here is a listing of the Fortune 500 companies based in the Twin Cities:

25 UnitedHealth Group Minnetonka
31 Target Minneapolis
62 Supervalu Eden Prairie
66 Best Buy Richfield
93 Travelers Cos. St. Paul
100 3M St. Paul
122 U.S. Bancorp Minneapolis
145 CHS Inver Grove Heights
213 Northwest Airlines Eagan
214 General Mills Minneapolis
217 Medtronic Minneapolis
260 Xcel Energy Minneapolis
294 Land O'Lakes Arden Hills
296 Ameriprise Financial Minneapolis
341 C.H. Robinson Worldwide Eden Prairie
398 Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Minneapolis
422 Mosaic Plymouth
438 Ecolab St. Paul

And using the Fortune 500 doesn't capture the largest company in Minneapolis - Cargill which dwarfs all of the companies above.
It wasn't an analysis; it was counting. From Fortune's Website. It should let you sort by metro, but you're forced to guess and I don't know MPLS's suburbs as well as I obviously could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM

263 posts, read 529,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sShaD5000 View Post
I from Springfield Missouri and have lived in Chicago and currently St. Louis, two old rivals. Chicago won, but I like both cities very much. My wife doesn't like St. Louis very much and has family on the West coast so I can pretty much say that we will move when our business is through here. I have only been to Minneapolis once, but it seems like a fine city. As for St. Louis here are the pros and cons:

Pros

Very interesting architecture, although it will break your heart to see much of it dilapidated or torn down.

Great sports town.

The Metro link, although it needs expansion.

Truly Awesome parks.

Dynamic, riveting history. Even the sad stories are dramatic and fascinating.

Awesome attractions free to dirt cheap.

Really awesome neighborhoods and local businesses.

Some very good restaurants: Sweetie Pies, Pho-Grand, Ranoush, Aya-Sofia, Black Bear Bakery, Everest, The Vine, Cafe Natasha, Pi, Dewey's Pizza, and Ferraro's Jersey Style Pizza, Sweet Art, Local Harvest, and Meskerem.

The Soulard market is a great place to drink in the morning while picking up some local produce.

Low cost of living means its a good city for those who like the challenge of improving and expanding community rather than having everything handed to them on a stick. Exciting for artists.

Doesn't share the evangelical fervor as much as the rest of Missouri.

Schlafly beer.

Cons

Terrible, horrible, unspeakably rude drivers.

The city county divide. Most people like to live in the outlying burbs (Maplewood, Clayton, and U-city might as well be a part of the city) for inherently racist reasons. County bumpkins annoy the the **** out of me. This makes crime seem worse than other cities. That said it is easy to have your apartment broken into. Many are too afraid to venture into the city and those who do often want to use the city and not pay.

While you have all the great features of a city you don't have the sheer variety that a truly big city like Chicago has.

Although Metro is good, it is still a car city and you don't have the wonderful vibrancy of a pedestrian city, this potentially could get better however.

Lack of pride or sense of unrealistic pride. A lot of people are not into it and some people think its as ritzy as Chicago and New York.

Pitfalls shared with other cities exacerbated by the city/county divide.

Stifling, hot, and humid summers, similar to the deep south and there are no lakes to swim in like Chicago and Minny. St. Louis has some hills however. Fall, Winter, and Spring are pleasant.
Very nice post. St. Louis has so much potential. I know the original post is 2 years old, but I would personally choose Minneapolis over St. Louis any day of the week.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 AM

266 posts, read 464,242 times
I don't think drivers are rude at all. Anyway I have a pros and cons list as well. I've been in STL for two years.

Pros:

A lot of great family activities, the city is easy to get around & it doesn't take long to drive places unlike say, Chicago. St. Louisians have a lot of pride in their city and a lot of enthusiasm for their sports teams (Go Cards!) The sports teams are great and entertainment is great here and affordable. Overall, St. Louis is an affordable city and has a lot to offer.

Cons:

The city is segregated. The city is old. The buildings are old. It's unattractive. St. Louis natives are always quick to correct me and inform me that the city is not old, but rather 'historical' with charming architecture. The city is just old. I prefer a more modern city with modern buildings. Too many parts of the city looks like an old abandoned junkyard. It stands out like a sore thumb to me as an outsider, but a friend of mine told me (she's a native) that because she is a native, she's just used to it.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
I don't think drivers are rude at all. Anyway I have a pros and cons list as well. I've been in STL for two years.

Pros:

A lot of great family activities, the city is easy to get around & it doesn't take long to drive places unlike say, Chicago. St. Louisians have a lot of pride in their city and a lot of enthusiasm for their sports teams (Go Cards!) The sports teams are great and entertainment is great here and affordable. Overall, St. Louis is an affordable city and has a lot to offer.

Cons:

The city is segregated. The city is old. The buildings are old. It's unattractive. St. Louis natives are always quick to correct me and inform me that the city is not old, but rather 'historical' with charming architecture. The city is just old. I prefer a more modern city with modern buildings. Too many parts of the city looks like an old abandoned junkyard. It stands out like a sore thumb to me as an outsider, but a friend of mine told me (she's a native) that because she is a native, she's just used to it.
Old isn't always a bad thing. You don't see stuff like this is new cities:

st louis mo - Google Maps

or this...

I don't see how that's not charming architecture to you. I'm an outsider too btw. When I bring friends to St. Louis for the first time, one of the first things they comment on is the unique archicture

Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM

266 posts, read 464,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Old isn't always a bad thing. You don't see stuff like this is new cities:

or this...

I don't see how that's not charming architecture to you. I'm an outsider too btw. When I bring friends to St. Louis for the first time, one of the first things they comment on is the unique archicture

There's nothing unique about it. It's just old.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Thank you for confirming that your taste and knowledge in architecture is, shall we say, severely limited?
Perhaps you would prefer the plastic fakeness of Celebration, FL?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
Quote:
Ugh, so many things wrong with this, I don't even have the energy to go there.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Oh none of the above links can match the utter beauty and elegance of new construction...

I realize everyone has their own preferences but this is like arguing about the Black Eyed Peas versus the Beatles. Hint: contemporary suburban construction is the Black Eyed Peas of architecture.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Oh none of the above links can match the utter beauty and elegance of new construction...

I realize everyone has their own preferences but this is like arguing about the Black Eyed Peas versus the Beatles. Hint: contemporary suburban construction is the Black Eyed Peas of architecture.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!
More like the Milli Vanilli of architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis