Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Personal preference .. 4 months of cold winter vs 2 months of hot summer. St. Louis has remarkable spring and fall weather. We can have enjoyable weather in November - even occasionally in December when Minneapolis is already experiencing cold and snow. We have trees and flowers blooming in the spring when Minneapolis can still have feet of snow on the ground.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call St. Louis' spring weather "remarkable". Typically the fall weather is very brief, though nice, and the winter runs long into spring--it isn't uncommon for St. Louis to get snow in March and sometimes April.

Granted, I lived in St. Louis for 15 years and Minneapolis for only 6 months, so maybe the winter gets bad year after year there. But I can't think of a time I ever found myself missing St. Louis weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call St. Louis' spring weather "remarkable". Typically the fall weather is very brief, though nice, and the winter runs long into spring--it isn't uncommon for St. Louis to get snow in March and sometimes April.
While there has been and can be snow in March and April, there are just as many pleasant days. When snow falls here in those months, it can also be gone the next day. If fact, this year we had a snow fall of about 6 inches or more that was gone in days.

Temperature is a matter of personal taste, some like heat, some don't. Some like cold, some don't. Yes I think our spring, winter and fall or more pleasant than Minneapolis, so I chimed in with my opinion.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
So I consulted historical weather for March / April 2013 - which I admit St. Louis had a longer winter this year. Using average daily temperature, I put this toghether

March
St. Louis temps ranged from 28.3 to 56.8, with an average temp of 39.5 and 27 days above freezing (32)
Minneapolis temps ranged from 12.8 to 45.2, with an average temp of 27.7, and 8 days above freezing

April
St. Louis temps ranged from 39.1 to 73.9 with an average of 55.7 (every day above freezing)
Minneapolis temps ranged from 26.9 to 67.3, with an average of 40.7 in Minneapolis, and 3 days below freezing

The first day with an average temp of a minimum of 60 degrees in St. Louis was 4/6/2013, and the first average temperate of 60 degrees Minneapolis was 4/27 - three weeks later.

I also looked at 2012, and put this together (again with average temps)

Jan
St Louis temps ranged from 18.6 to 57.8 with an average of 37.8
Minneapolis ranged from (0.7) to 42.1 with an average of 23.4

Feb
St. Louis ranged from 23.4 to 61.5 with an average of 41.4
Minneapolis ranged from 9.0 to 34.3 with an average of 27.6

March
St. Louis ranged from 36.6 to 74.1 with an average of 60.2
Minneapolis ranged from 17.6 to 70.3 with an average of 48.0

April
St. Louis ranged from 48.6 to 78.4 with an average of 60.7
Minneapolis ranged from 35.6 to 62.0 with an average of 50.0

First 60 degree day in 2012 in St. Louis = 2/29, Minneapolis = 3/17
Last day below 32 degree in St. Louis = 2/13, Minneapolis = 3/9

The source for my data: Data Files for Selected Cities

Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM

260 posts, read 586,886 times
Quote:
While there has been and can be snow in March and April, there are just as many pleasant days. When snow falls here in those months, it can also be gone the next day. If fact, this year we had a snow fall of about 6 inches or more that was gone in days.

Temperature is a matter of personal taste, some like heat, some don't. Some like cold, some don't. Yes I think our spring, winter and fall or more pleasant than Minneapolis, so I chimed in with my opinion.
This was a strange year! Heck at the start of May, Arkansas and Southern Missouri had snow! That was the first time ever Arkansas recorded any snow in May.

Typically though March can have a few big snow storms but the temperatures a lot of times are borderline and it ends up being a sloppy, wet snow.

April usually has several days of weather when you can wear shorts. April is see saw kind of weather. You can get days with highs in the 40s and some days highs can get near 90.

Even in the winter typically you will get a few days where highs will reach into the low 70s. Usually when that happens we get some big wintertime thunderstorms.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
So I consulted historical weather for March / April 2013 - which I admit St. Louis had a longer winter this year. Using average daily temperature, I put this toghether

March
St. Louis temps ranged from 28.3 to 56.8, with an average temp of 39.5 and 27 days above freezing (32)
Minneapolis temps ranged from 12.8 to 45.2, with an average temp of 27.7, and 8 days above freezing

April
St. Louis temps ranged from 39.1 to 73.9 with an average of 55.7 (every day above freezing)
Minneapolis temps ranged from 26.9 to 67.3, with an average of 40.7 in Minneapolis, and 3 days below freezing

The first day with an average temp of a minimum of 60 degrees in St. Louis was 4/6/2013, and the first average temperate of 60 degrees Minneapolis was 4/27 - three weeks later.

I also looked at 2012, and put this together (again with average temps)

Jan
St Louis temps ranged from 18.6 to 57.8 with an average of 37.8
Minneapolis ranged from (0.7) to 42.1 with an average of 23.4

Feb
St. Louis ranged from 23.4 to 61.5 with an average of 41.4
Minneapolis ranged from 9.0 to 34.3 with an average of 27.6

March
St. Louis ranged from 36.6 to 74.1 with an average of 60.2
Minneapolis ranged from 17.6 to 70.3 with an average of 48.0

April
St. Louis ranged from 48.6 to 78.4 with an average of 60.7
Minneapolis ranged from 35.6 to 62.0 with an average of 50.0

First 60 degree day in 2012 in St. Louis = 2/29, Minneapolis = 3/17
Last day below 32 degree in St. Louis = 2/13, Minneapolis = 3/9

The source for my data: Data Files for Selected Cities
if I'm interpreting this data correctly, Minneapolis is colder than St Louis!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if I'm interpreting this data correctly, Minneapolis is colder than St Louis!
Correct, although parts of northern Wisconsin are MUCH colder than Minneapolis because the official temperatures are taken at the Intl Airport with a heat island present. Google Eagle River, WI- snowmobile capitol of the world with a climate similar to central Canada or Scandinavia.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM

213 posts, read 322,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
This was a strange year! Heck at the start of May, Arkansas and Southern Missouri had snow! That was the first time ever Arkansas recorded any snow in May.

Typically though March can have a few big snow storms but the temperatures a lot of times are borderline and it ends up being a sloppy, wet snow.

April usually has several days of weather when you can wear shorts. April is see saw kind of weather. You can get days with highs in the 40s and some days highs can get near 90.

Even in the winter typically you will get a few days where highs will reach into the low 70s. Usually when that happens we get some big wintertime thunderstorms.
Interesting.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 PM

135 posts, read 280,236 times
Quote:
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call St. Louis' spring weather "remarkable".
May and June 2013 were indeed remarkable. The first two weeks of July was great too, before it started getting a little too hot for my liking. While April was a little too cold, there were quite a few days of beautiful weather.

So no, not a stretch at all to call STL's spring weather as remarkable, unless you insist that June is technically summer, not spring, and therefore it's summer that's remarkable

Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStLouisan View Post
May and June 2013 were indeed remarkable. The first two weeks of July was great too, before it started getting a little too hot for my liking. While April was a little too cold, there were quite a few days of beautiful weather.

So no, not a stretch at all to call STL's spring weather as remarkable, unless you insist that June is technically summer, not spring, and therefore it's summer that's remarkable
Much better than last year in most places in terms of temperature. However, the sun angle is extremely intense further south as I'm often reminded immediately whenever I venture that direction. The average July high temperature in my area is in the low 80s so I have little reason to complain about temperatures most of the time during this time of year.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Minny and STL are basically the same size both metro and city so you are basically going to get the same offerings in terms of sports, culture, restaurants, festivals, single life, economy, big city environment, etc... The one major difference is that STL is considerably warmer due the winter months. Both are great cities.

Are you looking for city living or suburbs? We have some great neighborhoods in the city as well as a booming downtown which I can help with.
St. Louis also gets more hot summer days that can be near 100 degrees (and sometimes hit that mark) than Minneapolis does. You will find nice neighborhoods in both cities. Both cities have the great Mississippi river flowing a short walk east of their downtown areas. I think the numerous lakes in Minneapolis neighborhoods (esp. the area southwest of downtown) would give them the slight edge IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis