Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 30,495 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm going to be graduating college in December (I'll be 22) and plan to move to St. Louis. Have you guys heard anything about Fox Park? It seems like it is pretty small and I am having the hardest time finding anything on it. I heard that Soulard is really nice for my age, but I know one nearby neighborhood can be relatively safe while the one next to it isn't. I'm most likely going to be living with two other people, they are likely to be females as well. I'm mostly just concerned about safety...I can live if it isn't the nicest neighborhood...I just want to know personal opinions from people around the area. I have read some of the crime statistics and have done that research, I would just like your opinions now. The particular house I am looking at is on Allen Street if that helps. Thanks! Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:16 PM

147 posts, read 383,767 times
First of all, congrats and welcome (in Dec.)!

I have friends who live on Russell in Fox Park, and they love it. They haven't had any problems safety-wise. It's very much a transitional neighborhood that keeps getting better. There are still a few rough blocks, but overall, the neighborhood is much nicer than it was a few years ago and continues to trend upward. The location is really good. I believe the Compton Hill Housing Corp. owns/manages most of the rental properties in the neighborhood, which has had a stabilizing effect.

Fox Park is going to be a little less lively than Soulard, Lafayette Square or the Tower Grove area, just so you know.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks! I'll be working and stuff...so I'm not looking to party every night or anything. I don't need to be walking distance to the bars or anything...just want to be safe. Thanks so much!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
I have lived in Fox Park for about 3 years now and love it. We have a very strong neighborhood association and we are getting new businesses and residents every day. One of the reasons I love Fox Park is the location. It is very close to Soulard, Benton Park, Lafayette Square, South Grand, Tower Grove and Downtown. We are also close to all the major highways (44,55,70 and 40) I found Fox Park while looking for houses in Soulard. FP is much cheaper and we got a beautiful house for a lot less than we would have paid in some of the surrounding areas. Some of the blocks are still a little sketchy, but the neighborhood overall has improved drastically. We have become very good friends with several people in the hood and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Please feel free to direct message me any questions, or any blocks in general that you are looking at. I can let you know if I know anyone on that block, and how it is.Check out our website at www.foxparkstl.org, you can also find us on facebook.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
Fox Park can have some sketchy areas, but it's overall a fine neighborhood and has great access to St. Louis.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Fox Park is hit and miss.

If you are really concerned about safety, then check out places in the 63109 or 63139 area codes (Southamption, Northamption, St. Louis Hills, Lindenwood Park). There are lots of little bars and restaurants throughout the neighborhoods, but they are a little more middle-class residential than Fox Park.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM

270 posts, read 656,056 times
The best bet you have against crime is not to live amongst the criminals. I am sure there are lots of safe housing around the Soulard area, so why not shop around a bit and find somewhere you feel safe... well lit street, good neighbors, etc. Look around and don't sacrifice safety to save a measly 400$ a month, especially when you're splitting it several ways!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
If you have any questions about a certain block in Fox Park, just send me a message. I will be happy to let you know about that particular block. However, if I were in my early 20's and living with roommates I would without a doubt look in: Downtown, Soulard or the Central West End.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM

What about Central East? My parents are looking to put a down payment on an apartment for me and two friends and then we're going to be paying them rent..but I have to convince them it's an investment. We found a couple places we really like in up and coming neighborhoods. We're looking for up and coming neighborhoods as well..anyone know any?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Where is Central East? That isn't a term commonly used here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis