Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 PM

389 posts, read 902,783 times

Advertisements

marksman geez it was light hearted -- I myself have been fined by metro. if I really wanted to run off the tourists on a message board (??) I would.

Metro is dying because of st. louis county but I'm confident Prop M will pass in 2010. More people in the St. Louis region supported the sales tax than those that didn't. Problem is the city and county voted on Prop M separately.

Yes the system has been ran poorly in the past but from what I understand there are new people at the mantle. I'm hopeful for Metro. If Missouri would get its act together that would be even better. Illinois gives 20 million a year to metro and people wonder why the train goes to St. Clair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
and you transplants abuse the system.
Haha I totally missed that this was aimed towards me the first time I read over it. Thought you were speaking to the Oregon tourist at first glance. I'm actually quite flattered that you know my screen name and remember that I am transplant to Saint Louis from another home town. Didn't know anyone paid that much attention on here.

Fwiw, I do not call double-stamping 1 time out of over 300+ rides "abusing the system". It just so happens to be the one time we decided to actually test the system, and we got caught. The other 300+ times, paid in full (although I usually used monthly passes). It just so happened that day, after a St. Patrick's Day parade downtown, that we spent our last bit o' cash on liquor. Next time, won't be too lazy to go back to an ATM.

But I guess I will apologize for a one-time "abusing" of your Saint Louis metro system. I also apologize for living in your city.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,666 times
So what was a legitimate excuse of them to put down my friend's address on my citation.

It's like a cop pulling a driver over, then citing a passenger for something, but putting down the driver's address on passenger's ticket even if the passenger is not cohabiting.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Haha I totally missed that this was aimed towards me the first time I read over it. Thought you were speaking to the Oregon tourist at first glance. I'm actually quite flattered that you know my screen name and remember that I am transplant to Saint Louis from another home town. Didn't know anyone paid that much attention on here.

Fwiw, I do not call double-stamping 1 time out of over 300+ rides "abusing the system". It just so happens to be the one time we decided to actually test the system, and we got caught. The other 300+ times, paid in full (although I usually used monthly passes). It just so happened that day, after a St. Patrick's Day parade downtown, that we spent our last bit o' cash on liquor. Next time, won't be too lazy to go back to an ATM.

But I guess I will apologize for a one-time "abusing" of your Saint Louis metro system. I also apologize for living in your city.
Now that's a much better use of cash resources! WTG!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Perhaps they didn't handle it the best way, but people like you all are the reasons that 10 of their buddies just got laid off. Make sense?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Perhaps they didn't handle it the best way, but people like you all are the reasons that 10 of their buddies just got laid off. Make sense?
In general, it makes sense. However, let's say I rode 350 times so far while living here and 349 of the times I paid. In essense then, "people like me" help keep the jobs. Of course, there is no way for the officer to know my personal situation like that. For all the officer knew, I could have never paid and was a freeloader and I understand that. Still, beyond that, I have the right to call a duck a duck - and there is absolutely no reason for an guard to call for backup just because a simple question was asked in a civil manner. I'm not exactly intimidating at 5'9/160 either .

Unrelated, but they really should figure out a better way to subsidize fare prices if they want more ridership. I have a good job - so I still pay and ride because I like public trans ... but no way would I pay the fare money they require if I had a normal job.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM

252 posts, read 960,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
serves you both right. Metro is dying for funding and you transplants abuse the system. For shame!!
Ah yes, it's the outsiders fault! It's not at all the fault of cheap St. Louis voters (the vast majority of whom are not transplants)...

As a decaying city (and metro area) that has been losing population and national influence for decades, you'd think that St. Louis would be more welcoming to new folks moving in.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM

270 posts, read 656,193 times
No, most of us live in the burbs and couldn't care much less what's going in the "city", or I guess the crumbling remains of where a city used to be lol All the metro does is make it easier for poor people to get into other areas.. why do you think edwardsville, IL doesn't want metrolink going up there.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
No, most of us live in the burbs and couldn't care much less what's going in the "city", or I guess the crumbling remains of where a city used to be lol All the metro does is make it easier for poor people to get into other areas.. why do you think edwardsville, IL doesn't want metrolink going up there.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 AM

389 posts, read 902,783 times
smh. its probably best that we identify the myopic suburbian views on metro so they can do a better job of framing the debate next time Prop M is up. The region needs metro and todd no one more than me loves transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis