Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,598,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A'sMOM View Post
Hi,
We may be looking to move to St. Louis area. Some where within communting distance to St. Louis - or if St. Louis has any wonderful safe little hamlets that would be great. We have 2 young children so schools are very important. We'd want a walkable town - walk to school, library, restaurants and church. A diverse area is good so one with other religions could be important to us. Interested in an area w/ art, science, childrens and museums. Also lots of culture. Does Ladue and Clayton have down towns? Only asking about those towns because I read they have excellent schools. Are there any hip towns in the area? Our housing budget is $750k - $1M and we enjoy homes that are older with lots of architectural details and towns that have historical districts.

Thanks for any ideas
Have you found what you were looking for? Have you moved yet. What is the latest????I do agree with Clayton, town and Country, Webster Groves. Also, Certain areas of Manchester/Ballwin would fit. Not right on the highway tho'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,456 times
I went to Ladue and Graduated Long ago.. but personally I would NEVER put my kids into the Ladue school district... Basically your kid will be judged early on as being "smart or stupid" .. it starts from Kindergarten or the moment your child starts with Ladue schools... the Label will NEVER change...hey if your kid is judged to be smart then great but if not forget it...when your kids get to junior high or high SChool they will be placed in either "regular classes.. underAcheiver classes (the stupid classes) or overachieiving classes (the smart one)"... heres my story, I was always treated by teachers and the School like I was stupid.. it never changed.. in Jr high and high school they always stuck me in these "underachiever classes", oh yeah and u couldnt recieve an "A" in these classes, the highes grade u could recieve is a "B".. which hardly seemed fair considering I NEVER asked to be in these classes.. nor were my parents ever asked.. this is just where they stuck me..Sure I WAS an Underachivere.. but of course I was! why the heck would I even care what grade I got in these Courses?.. u know it wasnt somethjing to write home about if u did get a good grade.. so what If I got a Grade in an Underachiever Class..big Fricken deal...even if u did get a good grade it didnt matter anyway because they were gonna keep sticking u in these underacheiver classes.. u know I usually just cared if I passed or not.. u know a D was good enough.. I wasnt a good student and Was fully aware that the school thought I (and the students I shared my classes with) was stupid.. anyway, so good grades wasnt something any of us in these classes cared about... Drugs were prevelent at Ladue in the 80's.. Many of us began using drugs.. well anyway, my Junior year my Family and I moved out of state so I of course went to a new School.. AT this new school everyone took the same classes.. there were no underacheiver classes or anything.. WE all took the same.. I became a straight "A" student.. not because this school was less challenging.. it was more so and nobody was judged to be "stupid".. My teachers there were always shocked when my parents would tell them that I had not always been a good student..anyway, I graduated in the late 80's and then went on to College... Had I stayed at Ladue I probably never would have even been accepted to any college.. the bottom Line: I personally would never in a million years send my child to Ladue schools.. I cant speak for the other ST.Louis Schools because I didnt attend them, but the Ladue school district sucks.. in my Opionion...

Old 10-02-2007, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,531 times
I would agree with Kirkwood, Clayton and Ladue. If my family could afford to live comfortably in Kirkwood we would move there tomorrow. Their downtown is super quaint, my daughter and I go on walks there quite often. In the summertime they have a fabulous patio area where the community goes to dinner, ice cream and/or coffee. It just makes you feel good! Good Luck and welcome to the Lou!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis