Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 31,145 times

Advertisements

I tried three temp-agencies (that claimed to be hiring) last Monday at around 7:30am; shaved; showered; game-faced; and all three turned me away instantly, cutting me off mid-sentence; not even bothering to look up from their game of Solitaire, saying "don't bother we're not interested". They wouldn't even accept an application. They were all in some form or another very crass. It was actually what led me to think my tattoos might be a major issue. As you can imagine, I haven't tried a fourth yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
If the tattoos are on your face, you may be out of luck. Turtle necks (now that it is cold) and longs sleeves may help

Tats in don't have the same "Social Distortion" type of cachet that they do on the west coast. Most (NOT ALL) of the tats you see around here are on MMA wannabes and general white trash.

I've heard that there are some wherehouses and fulfillment centers out this way (Lake Saint Louis / Wentzville) that are hiring.
But don't expect much over minimum wage.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 10-19-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnahan View Post

I tried three temp-agencies (that claimed to be hiring) last Monday at around 7:30am; shaved; showered; game-faced; and all three turned me away instantly, cutting me off mid-sentence; not even bothering to look up from their game of Solitaire, saying "don't bother we're not interested". They wouldn't even accept an application. They were all in some form or another very crass. It was actually what led me to think my tattoos might be a major issue. As you can imagine, I haven't tried a fourth yet.
I'd call back and ask to speak with a manager and tell them what happened. That's just plain rude.

Your appearance may "disqualify" you from certain types of jobs, but certainly not all jobs. I will never forget a fabulous temp we had, named Lynn. She was very overweight, not the best wardrobe in the world, and the teeth she wasn't missing were brown and decaying. She was our most requested temp ever, because she was great at what she did, she was always clean and prompt, and the nicest person you could hope to meet. We couldn't place her in a "front office" position, but that didn't keep her from being steadily employed every single week.

Do not let your appearance be a deterrent!

Your warehouse work didn't happen to include getting a forklift cert, did it?

St. Louis, MO 63102-CherokeeForklift

Last edited by Jill61; 10-19-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
I've got to ask...what and where are these tattoo's?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM

270 posts, read 854,727 times
Hmmm, are you wearing appropriate attire for an interview, i.e. dress pants, shirt, and tie? I can't think of any other reason why you would get turned away so quickly or so rudely.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Labor Ready - Temporary Work

1. SAINT LOUIS
1215 North Warson Rd.
ST. LOUIS, MO 63132
Branch Number: 1136
Phone: 314-872-3444
Fax: 314-692-7648
Email Address: 1136-Br@LaborReady.com

2. St.Louis Downtown
1811 South Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63104
Branch Number: 1138
Phone: 314-776-0600
Fax: 314-776-4425
Email Address: 1138-Br@LaborReady.com

Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnahan View Post

Oh, one more thing -- don't walk in, call ahead and schedule an appointment to come in and fill out an application and have an interview. If you're scheduled, they're not going to be able to turn you away quite so easily!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Best of luck folks, this is discouraging news...hopefully things will pick up in the Spring as my wife will be looking for work in the metro area as well (although more towards the IL side of the house).

I will be anxious to here when you all land something and where.
I hope you work in the medical field or as a teacher or something, because the jobs are on the MO side. There aren't even many office parks, and certainly not office parks of 5-7 story tall buildings on the IL side.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:01 PM

12 posts, read 31,145 times
I can empathize with why most companies exclude people with visible tattoos with regards to their enterprise, but there are hundreds of jobs to be done where appearance should not be an issue. What I see happening is a high demand for extensive experience in fields that don't necessarily require any real sort of training. To be a dishwasher, for example, you need a minimum of two years experience washing dishes. I mean, come on, right?

I'm getting away from myself, to answer your questions:
I have several visible tattoos, but I have always tried to counter this by dressing sharp. With anything professional or better yet any position for adults; such as construction or warehouse or painting. I wear trousers, a button-up, a strong tie, and a proper coat; all fitted. Any position I've applied for at a trendy clothing store or record store; I dress a bit more casually, but never more casually than the other employees.

Jill, that sounds like an excellent strategy. Are there any you would recommend?
Also, regrettably, I have driven a stand-up fork-lift many times, but was never officially certified.

Well, you've all been very helpful, and I don't see myself leaving for California any time soon, so until I gain something, I'll be here, every day, until I do. This really is a beautiful city. I went to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery the other day. It was awesome. Over the weekend I also saw a few very interesting museums. It's great that there's so much to do if you look in the right places.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Keep trying--something good is bound to happen. Best of luck--sounds like you have a great attitude and any city would be lucky to have you as a resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis