Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I'm not sure if the removal of the highway will happen. The big reason is dealing with truck traffic that goes from 44/55 to 70 say from South City to the airport area. Putting that on surface streets will be a safety and congestion issue.

Honestly, there can't be too many trucks that go from south city to the airport. If so they will be local delivery box trucks and not full on 53' semis.

270 and other 'bypass loops' are meant to divert trucks and pass through travelers around the city center.

I'm pretty sure this is a 40/64 replacement type of situation. The world will not end when 70 is removed. In fact I bet there will be little to no negative effects.

That being said, I could certainly live with a 'lid' but it would be a missed opportunity in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Honestly, there can't be too many trucks that go from south city to the airport. If so they will be local delivery box trucks and not full on 53' semis.

270 and other 'bypass loops' are meant to divert trucks and pass through travelers around the city center.

I'm pretty sure this is a 40/64 replacement type of situation. The world will not end when 70 is removed. In fact I bet there will be little to no negative effects.

That being said, I could certainly live with a 'lid' but it would be a missed opportunity in my opinion.
The problem is that 270 is the ONLY bypass loop in this situation. It is often worse going around than going through since congestion is greater most of the time. I just see a long-term issue creeping up where 270 has high traffic most of the day during the week.

I think a 40/64 method isn't a bad idea for this. Close the section of road a couple of years to both put underground and to make upgrades. Making the elevated section underground wouldn't be that difficult since you would use the same right of way, then you can build on top. Though with the depressed secion you might have to close memorial for a while since there would need to be widening for at least shoulders and emergency lanes. It wouldn't be too expensive to do overall since there is no having to tunnel under existing structures. The only problem I see is that nothing will be done on the highway for a long time, likely we only will see a cap of the current section with no improvments. Then again nothing can really be done until the new bridge is completed.

One other issue that might be relevant. They will have to have the highway exist for some time after the new bridge since they look to replace the ramps on the West end of the PSB since they are old with tight turns that cause bottlenecks. There is likely periods where the ramps between 44/55 and the PSB will be closed, when that occurs the current 70 through downtown will have to be used to get to Illinois.

Just thinking for the archgrounds, is there any capped springs that exist on the grounds? I got the idea of having some level of flowing water going through the grounds and decending into the River.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Might be some more costs appearing in the future, not directly related to the City-to-River issue, though.
Gateway Arch showing rust and decay

Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Might be some more costs appearing in the future, not directly related to the City-to-River issue, though.
Gateway Arch showing rust and decay
I have wondered about this over time. Some sort of extensive renovation and repairing of the arch has to happen at some point due to age. Makes me think that some point in the future it has to be addressed due to potentially dealing with the structural integrity of it.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 9,098 times
Not terribly impressed with the designs...as a lifelong St. Louisian, I've long despised the disconnect of the riverfront from Downtown...

It's a shame Jack Danforth isn't more involved in this effort as he was last time around...think his initiative on the idea cannot be ignored...

Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNAbs View Post
Not terribly impressed with the designs...as a lifelong St. Louisian, I've long despised the disconnect of the riverfront from Downtown...

It's a shame Jack Danforth isn't more involved in this effort as he was last time around...think his initiative on the idea cannot be ignored...
There's good and bad in each presentation, but remember that this competition chooses the design team, not the design itself. It's likely -- more like certain, really -- that the final design will be significantly different than anything we've seen yet. My hope is that it will be an amalgamation of the aspects I like best, but all that remains to be seen.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There's good and bad in each presentation, but remember that this competition chooses the design team, not the design itself. It's likely -- more like certain, really -- that the final design will be significantly different than anything we've seen yet. My hope is that it will be an amalgamation of the aspects I like best, but all that remains to be seen.
It is likely to be quite a bit different than any of the current drawings out there, and it might very well be a combination. The only concern I can see is going to be cost. I am taking it that a large portion of this will be private funds?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think they'll probably secure a hefty federal grant, but a big chunk will be private funds I am certain.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM

89 posts, read 237,471 times
My concern is water leaking beneath the Arch stainless exterior, causing corrosion of the high carbon steel infrastructure. One of the STL today articles makes mention. Water leaking and corrsion have been a problem inside the arch for sometime. Sort of like how an auto corrodes to rusty dust in a short time on St. Louis roads ways? (kidding)

Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitko View Post
My concern is water leaking beneath the Arch stainless exterior, causing corrosion of the high carbon steel infrastructure. One of the STL today articles makes mention. Water leaking and corrsion have been a problem inside the arch for sometime. Sort of like how an auto corrodes to rusty dust in a short time on St. Louis roads ways? (kidding)
This is certainly a concern, but remember this is an Iconic national monument. It's not like it won't get fixed sooner or later no matter the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis