Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM

16 posts, read 52,093 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Mo. in May and I have been doing alot of research lately on the best place to live. We are thinking of Ballwin, Mo. Does anyone have any comments about Ballwin? Is it a good place to raise kids? How are the people there (friendly)? How about the schools? I have another thread out there about traveling to and from St. Louis. I have gotten some really good ideas from everyone but I thought I would start this to find out about Ballwin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Safe, non-desrcript west county burb with decent schools. That's about it.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:48 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,571 times
We live in the furthest NE tip of Ballwin in Parkway West school district. Though my heart lies further east in the city, we have been out here for 6 years and appreciate it for being a wonderful place to raise our children in a great neighborhood and even better public school district. We are on the edge of Town and Country, a bike ride from Whole Foods and Dierbergs, and have super easy access to highway 40 and every shopping amenity that you can possibly imagine including a new Costco that opens on Tuesday.

As the bulk of the homes are 30-40 years old, the prices are still VERY affordable for the location and sq ftg, as there are still a lot of original owners and comps have not yet been run up by resale. As far as the city is concerned... VERY nice indoor and outdoor pool, great gym/community center that is extremely affordable, and handy amenities that Chesterfield doesn't even boast like free curbside leaf pickup.

It’s a large township, so research the school districts and locations within carefully. That being said, if looking for a nice place to raise a family… I can recommend Ballwin.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM

Thank you so much for good reviews. Not being in MO., it is hard to know about areas.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,097 times
It's wonderful. Clean, safe, quality schools and one of the first STL areas to go smoke-free. A five-star place to raise a family, and far enough away from the undesirable elements here.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 PM

325 posts, read 850,858 times
LOL! I must be one of those undesirables!

My mom lives in Ballwin. It is a standard suburb. Good public schools for sure.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
It's wonderful. Clean, safe, quality schools and one of the first STL areas to go smoke-free. A five-star place to raise a family, and far enough away from the undesirable elements here.
Can't wait to get out of Ballwin and closer to the undesirables (University City).

Seriously, I echo CarrieNeno's description. We're here for the school: Parkway. When our youngest graduates in May of 2011, we're outta here. It's boring, bland and safe.

inahandbasket

Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 AM

So what does that mean: "Undesirable Elements"? Are you talking people or things or what?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
In Marksman's case I think he means liberals but I digress. Ballwin is indeed a nice, safe place with great schools. The people there are pretty friendly and it won't take too long to get downtown. On the other hand, like others have said, it's pretty much a generic suburb with nothing that really differentiates itself from other similar west county suburbs (Chesterfield, Manchester, Ellisville etc...).

Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 AM

We don't mind boring, bland and safe. As long as there is shopping, good schools, low crime rate and things to entertain my kids then I am all set. Am I asking too much? Oh and low prices on houses in a good neighborhood. Okay maybe now I am asking too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis