Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 128,089 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning to travel to St. Louis from Chicago in month or so. I've never been to St. Louis and would like to see all it has to offer.

But before I book my hotel room I would like to know where the more "questionable" areas are. We plan on visiting the zoo, the city museum (downtown?), and finding a few good spots to taste good authentic St. Louis barbecue.

I haven't booked the hotel yet because the hotels are located in neighborhoods I've obviously never heard of. Can somebody give some guidance in this area?

Thanks.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM

54 posts, read 397,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_johnson View Post
Hello,

I'm planning to travel to St. Louis from Chicago in month or so. I've never been to St. Louis and would like to see all it has to offer.

But before I book my hotel room I would like to know where the more "questionable" areas are. We plan on visiting the zoo, the city museum (downtown?), and finding a few good spots to taste good authentic St. Louis barbecue.

I haven't booked the hotel yet because the hotels are located in neighborhoods I've obviously never heard of. Can somebody give some guidance in this area?

Thanks.

Dan

Well, coming here from Chicago may be a little disappointing. You wanna stay away from the northside of the county and the city. Downtown isn't too bad, but has pockets of bad areas here and there and St. Louis is so run down sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. If you're traveling with your family, I'd say try to find somewhere in Clayton. It's about 7 minutes from the city and very safe comparably. basically the further west you go, the more suburban and "safer" it gets. It sounds like you're wanting to see the city, though, so going too far west is illogical.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,461 times
Default Days Inn

How is the Days Inn on South Lindbergh Boulevard? Is the area okay? I have reservations there in June but would change if necessary.

I'll be visiting the zoo also with my family as well as the arch and some of the local museums.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Dan--You might want to stay at one of the hotels in the Westport area in Maryland Heights, if that isn't too far away from downtown St. Louis for you. We stayed at a place on Old Dorsett Road, located at I-270 and Dorsett Rd. and enjoyed it a lot. We were there in May 2003 and again in May 2004. There are quite a few hotels at Westport.

Dolfan--Are you referring to the Days Inn at South Lindbergh and Watson Road in Sunset Hills? That area is fine if fairly busy. My wife and I actually stayed at this Days Inn last June. The facility itself has a weird layout, suggesting to me that it either used to be something else or they added on to it. Our room had no outdoor view, but rather looked out toward a fairly dark, somewhat creepy-looking corridor and empty indoor space with large visible HVAC piping up above. On the other hand, the continental breakfast was good, and there is an indoor pool. Many of the rooms have a more conventional layout like what you'd find at other Days Inns, Super 8s and Motel 6s. Summary: good, safe location, easy access to I-44, lots of traffic; okay facility. Hope this info helps!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 128,089 times
Thanks for the info. If possible, could somebody give me a brief rundown of a few areas that should REALLY be avoided? As in avoid at all costs unless it's a life or death situation.

There won't be any kids on this trip. It's going to be my wife and I, so in light of that, so-so neighborhoods aren't THAT big of a deal.

Basically, we're trying to avoid the National Lampoon Summer Vacation scenario...if you don't understand the reference, it's ok It's just sort of funny, is all.

Thanks again.

dan

Old 05-08-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_johnson View Post
Thanks for the info. If possible, could somebody give me a brief rundown of a few areas that should REALLY be avoided? As in avoid at all costs unless it's a life or death situation.

There won't be any kids on this trip. It's going to be my wife and I, so in light of that, so-so neighborhoods aren't THAT big of a deal.

Basically, we're trying to avoid the National Lampoon Summer Vacation scenario...if you don't understand the reference, it's ok It's just sort of funny, is all.

Thanks again.

dan
Stay away from the north side and east st. louis. Put it this way -- since you're not from around here and you don't know the area very well, if you cross over highway 70 you need to turn around and go SOUTH. Keep in mind this is for the city, not out in the county. Areas like Natural Bridge and Kingshighway -- not somewhere you want to go.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
How is the Days Inn on South Lindbergh Boulevard? Is the area okay? I have reservations there in June but would change if necessary.

I'll be visiting the zoo also with my family as well as the arch and some of the local museums.
You'll have no problems on South Lindbergh. That's out in the county..about 15 mins from the city.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
For convenience of locations to go anywhere fast in St. Louis I would highly recomend any of the Drury Inns in Downtown or out the I-64 or I-44 corridor. Really great hotels (free internet and good breakfast served), great prices and no, I have nothing to do with them .

Presidents Bush & Clinton have stayed at this one, and you can link to all through here:
http://www.druryhotels.com/properties/unionstation.cfm (broken link)

Old 05-09-2007, 02:12 PM

98 posts, read 784,117 times
I agree with the Drury Inn downtown- there are three and all are OK to stay at. The Cheshire Inn which is near the Zoo is kind of funky- you'll also be safe.
If you go West in the city/county or South, then you are fine- you'll just have a whopping 15-20 min commute into the city!!! LOL!!! That is nothing coming from Chicago huh??!!!!
Enjoy your stay in STL- it's got some great things to see. The City Museum will blow you away!! It's so great!!!!
Have a fun trip!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,411 times
Are the areas around Market Street, South Broadway, and Busch Stadium safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis