Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I'd say there were plenty of scenes away from the airport scenes that are in St. Louis. You'll notice glimpses of downtown several times, not to mention richmond heights, mansion house, etc...I also noticed most of the aircraft takeoff's and landings were shown in St. Louis, not all, but many were. You can see the same hillside several times, which from memory sake is on your far right when you take position on 30L.
Right. But those scenes are not advertised as being in St. Louis so paying attention is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
So, I'm confused, did some of this movie actually take place in St Louis and Omaha? I've not heard anything about it...

Last edited by Jays1983; 12-18-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
It was filmed almost entirely in St Louis, but there are also scenes filmed in Omaha and Miami.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM

50 posts, read 177,825 times
I will definitely have to see it - it looked good, but now that I know there's so much STL in it I'm definitely going to check it out.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,796 times
Saw it today!! It was good and SO much St. Louis. Cheshire Inn (said in WI), Lafayette Square (said in Chicago), stadium garages (said in Omaha), plus all of the airport and surrounding area scenes. Fun to see the sights, and staring a Geo for 2 hours wasn't so bad either...

Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,980 times
I watched them do the filming at Cheshire which was the Matterhorn in the movie.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
So, I'm confused, did some of this movie actually take place in St Louis and Omaha? I've not heard anything about it...
Yes, plus a few other locations. The movie revolves around air travel, and this guy (clooney) flies about everywhere, so, they made st. louis look like other locations,and i'm sure they also made omaha, miami, and maybe even vegas look like other locations as well. But i believe the majority of the filming was in St. Louis.

A H.S. / College Friend of mine worked for the production company while they were in town. She said she didn't meet G.C. personally, her car made a cameo in the movie, and she thought it was funny watching them make snow during the summer.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Yes, plus a few other locations. The movie revolves around air travel, and this guy (clooney) flies about everywhere, so, they made st. louis look like other locations,and i'm sure they also made omaha, miami, and maybe even vegas look like other locations as well. But i believe the majority of the filming was in St. Louis.

A H.S. / College Friend of mine worked for the production company while they were in town. She said she didn't meet G.C. personally, her car made a cameo in the movie, and she thought it was funny watching them make snow during the summer.
Yeah, I finally heard what all was filmed in Omaha. I guess they did quite a bit of filming here (Hotel, Old Market, Airport, etc) but they cut call the scenes with the exception of some time in the airport.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
My husband and I went to the Moolah today to see "Up in the Air". For those of you unfamiliar, it was filmed here in St Louis. Not only was is a great film, but it was cool seeing all the STL sights. There is a lot of footage of the airport, George Clooney even talks about the importance of Lambert and the Wright Brothers. The "Chicago" scene was shot in Lafayette Square. There are a couple shots of downtown, I recognized Kiener Plaza and Mansion House (Supposed to be in Omaha). Anyway, if you have a chance check it out, it's getting a lot of buzz from critics.
stltoday had a good overview of what locations in the area were used:
12/11/2009 - Clooney was here: St. Louis locations in 'Up in the Air' - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/moviereviews/story/3E8BDC74070D543A862576870066BEE2?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM

216 posts, read 627,928 times
I loved the movie and especially loved the real people reinacting the moment they lost their jobs. I liked seeing St. Louis on the big screen. Too bad Jason Reitman said that the reason they chose St. Louis and Detroit were because they were two of the hardest hit cities by the recession and that they had no problem finding abandoned office buildings in St. Louis in which to firlm. I totally loved the younger female star..she cracked me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: