Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madal View Post
Thanks for the quick and thorough responses. It looks like I have two main choices ... I think I would choose to go further west to get more house (and newer) for my money. Billiken, I have lived in both the Libertyville and Skokie areas so am thrilled with your comparisons. I like the more "suburban" feel that Lib has to offer so I am hoping that the Chesterfield area is similar with similar sized houses for less money. I am also used to the Lib school district so something comparable is highly desired. Any thoughts on school comparisons? Lastly, I have heard that highway construction is an issue with commuting. Any issues with the Chesterfield-Clayton commute?
I currently live in the Webster Groves area. I think the downtown Webster Groves area has a very similar feel to downtown Libertyville. In my opinion, things get "suburban" quick around here, you don't need to go too far from Clayton. Webster/Kirkwood have some newer homes, but not as many as Chesterfield. I think you could pretty easily find a 3+ bdrm newer home out in Chesterfield in your price range, and it would be easily within 30 mins of Clayton. Chesterfield does not have the charming downtown area that you would find in Libertyville. It is a very large, sprawling suburb. Several malls within close distance, and lots of strip malls, so plenty of easy shopping. From a friend's experience, I know that many areas of Chesterfield are built on flood plains, so I'd beware of that when looking in that area. I have little knowledge of which schools are better than others, I just know there aren't really any "bad" schools out in west county (at least to my knowledge). Private schooling is also very popular in St Louis, if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,091 times
I am so thankful for all of the comments. Very helpful! I think I am liking the idea of a newer area ... tired of fixing up an older house. As for school districts ... I am not so concerned about size (although they are used to a large school) but I do care about what the school has to offer as well as afterschool activities (both provided by the school as well as the community). My kids seem to be very academically driven (so far) and also are pretty involved with gymnastics, swimming and piano lessons. I don't know if this really makes a difference but thought I would share, in case these different areas had certain strengths/weaknesses. We are close to our neighbors right now and would love to have that "neighborly" feeling again.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,928 times
I hate to confuse things for you, but be sure to look across the river at Edwardsville. Schools are awesome (Edwardsville School District 7 - Edwardsville, IL - Home), and we have a lot of great things to offer. Our schools offer an afterschool program at the schools via the local YMCA. In the summer, the kids can transition to the all-day childcare program that takes place at our new YMCA which offers a skating rink, rock-climbing wall, swimming pool, basketball courts and gymastics facility. They also do field trips during the summer. It is a great program. Our YMCA is one of the largest in the country and has a great gymnastics program. Swimming is top-notch here. I have a good friend who has two sons in the swimming program at the YMCA, and one of her sons ranks fairly high in the state. We have SIUE here, and they offer a lot of programs for the community, including music lessons, basketball camps, baseball camps, art camps, science camps and so on. (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville). The bike trails throughout the city are amazing. You can be in the middle of town and experience a fun "nature adventure" as you ride through the town. Housing prices are reasonable, but you will get hit with property taxes. But, we don't pay personal tax for vehicles and other big-ticket personal property items. The commute for your husband would be around 35 to 40 minutes depending on traffic. I-270 to I-170 or I-55/70 to Clayton. Two options in case traffic is bad. Check out my other posts on Edwardsville and see what you think! I'm a big fan, as anyone out here can tell you! I do love Chesterfield and O'Fallon, MO. My son plays a lot of hockey in that area and it does have a lot of great conveniences.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,930 times
Brentwood also has an amazing (bordering Clayton) central location and notoriously low taxes.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
From your posts, Chesterfield will probably work best for you. Would be an easy 20-30 minute commute down 64/40 to Clayton as well.

Like others have said, check out Brentwood, Webster Groves, etc. too. But it sounds like Chesterfield best matches your wants.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM

419 posts, read 1,332,930 times
You could at least spell check your copied and pasted text if you plan to place a Chesterfield Day School infomercial on a half a dozen posts?!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
I'm always shocked how so many people are ok with a 30 minute commute. To each his own I suppose.

Best of luck in your housing hunt MADAL and keep us posted on your findings.

Last edited by moorlander; 12-30-2009 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM

14 posts, read 36,495 times
West County is a no brainer: Chesterfield, Creve Coeur, Ballwin, Manchester, Wildwood

Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I'm always shocked how so many people are ok with a 30 minute commute. To each his own I suppose.

Best of luck in your housing hunt MADAL and keep us posted on your findings.
Don't ever move to the Chicago or the Chicagoland area. The original poster in this thread will be thrilled with new commute times.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Many people in Chicagoland would KILL for a 30 minute commute. Many have to commute further than that just to find affordable housing. AND a 30 minute commute in St. Louis is generally a lot further than you will get in Chicago and a number of larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis