U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,624,235 times
Reputation: 640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktCakes View Post
In the 1950's?
Do not try to make sense of STL4EVA's posts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Il
270 posts, read 784,716 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktCakes View Post
The city population has been trending up Since 2000. Not drastically, but still it's growing!
I wish this were true, but it is not. It seems to be hovering around the same 350K....

St. Louis Area Population Breakdowns

It is true, however, that the area has been trending up for a long time, give or take a few down years....

St. Louis, MO-IL MSA Population and Components of Change

While it is true that some people do not like it here and wish to move, Dinsdale, there are generally more people moving here and/or staying here than are leaving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,441 times
Reputation: 11
Just a minute racists. White flight? How about black plight? There are plenty of areas in St Louis that have potential if the City would clean up! Where has all your communties gone that once were. Beautiful neighborhood parks. What are your demographics now in these areas? My mom went to Beaumont High I wouldn't send my kids there and I wouldn't let anyone force bus my kids there either. The desegregation experiment backfired in St. Louis. People are rude. How many of you ride the GETRO? I guess Ms. Parks got more than she bargined for, she got the entire mass transportation system. Who is paying for that? Do you think making the high crime polls in the top 5 year after year is a lie? Sorry, but you should read the ST. LOUIS AMERICAN our #1 Newspaper. The only way to clean up a mess it to take it away. City ordinances need to enforce the standards of housing and decay. There is plenty of vacant land for development. Entire city blocks of urban decay, but would you invest millions to rebuild neighborhoods that are surrounded by poverty, desperation, drugs, gang violence. What decent people would move back into that? YOU NEED HEROES! Get real clean up and say no more Ghettos America. That is the CHANGE I would like to see. Believe that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,152 posts, read 1,848,766 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Day Folks View Post
Just a minute racists. White flight? How about black plight? There are plenty of areas in St Louis that have potential if the City would clean up! Where has all your communties gone that once were. Beautiful neighborhood parks. What are your demographics now in these areas? My mom went to Beaumont High I wouldn't send my kids there and I wouldn't let anyone force bus my kids there either. The desegregation experiment backfired in St. Louis. People are rude. How many of you ride the GETRO? I guess Ms. Parks got more than she bargined for, she got the entire mass transportation system. Who is paying for that? Do you think making the high crime polls in the top 5 year after year is a lie? Sorry, but you should read the ST. LOUIS AMERICAN our #1 Newspaper. The only way to clean up a mess it to take it away. City ordinances need to enforce the standards of housing and decay. There is plenty of vacant land for development. Entire city blocks of urban decay, but would you invest millions to rebuild neighborhoods that are surrounded by poverty, desperation, drugs, gang violence. What decent people would move back into that? YOU NEED HEROES! Get real clean up and say no more Ghettos America. That is the CHANGE I would like to see. Believe that!
The KKK called and wants their robe back. Desegregation experiment? GETRO? Wow man you are really out of touch. Maybe the reason we have so many ghettos in America is because we have completely sold out our manufacturing sector, have had institutionalized racism for 500 years, and people like you exist!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM
 
1,783 posts, read 3,606,164 times
Reputation: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Day Folks View Post
Just a minute racists. White flight? How about black plight? There are plenty of areas in St Louis that have potential if the City would clean up! Where has all your communties gone that once were. Beautiful neighborhood parks. What are your demographics now in these areas? My mom went to Beaumont High I wouldn't send my kids there and I wouldn't let anyone force bus my kids there either. The desegregation experiment backfired in St. Louis. People are rude. How many of you ride the GETRO? I guess Ms. Parks got more than she bargined for, she got the entire mass transportation system. Who is paying for that? Do you think making the high crime polls in the top 5 year after year is a lie? Sorry, but you should read the ST. LOUIS AMERICAN our #1 Newspaper. The only way to clean up a mess it to take it away. City ordinances need to enforce the standards of housing and decay. There is plenty of vacant land for development. Entire city blocks of urban decay, but would you invest millions to rebuild neighborhoods that are surrounded by poverty, desperation, drugs, gang violence. What decent people would move back into that? YOU NEED HEROES! Get real clean up and say no more Ghettos America. That is the CHANGE I would like to see. Believe that!
Does calling others a racist before going into a racist tirade give you some sort of immunity or something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Edwardsville, IL
1,814 posts, read 2,267,168 times
Reputation: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Day Folks View Post
Just a minute racists. White flight? How about black plight? There are plenty of areas in St Louis that have potential if the City would clean up! Where has all your communties gone that once were. Beautiful neighborhood parks. What are your demographics now in these areas? My mom went to Beaumont High I wouldn't send my kids there and I wouldn't let anyone force bus my kids there either. The desegregation experiment backfired in St. Louis. People are rude. How many of you ride the GETRO? I guess Ms. Parks got more than she bargined for, she got the entire mass transportation system. Who is paying for that? Do you think making the high crime polls in the top 5 year after year is a lie? Sorry, but you should read the ST. LOUIS AMERICAN our #1 Newspaper. The only way to clean up a mess it to take it away. City ordinances need to enforce the standards of housing and decay. There is plenty of vacant land for development. Entire city blocks of urban decay, but would you invest millions to rebuild neighborhoods that are surrounded by poverty, desperation, drugs, gang violence. What decent people would move back into that? YOU NEED HEROES! Get real clean up and say no more Ghettos America. That is the CHANGE I would like to see. Believe that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,441 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The KKK called and wants their robe back. Desegregation experiment? GETRO? Wow man you are really out of touch. Maybe the reason we have so many ghettos in America is because we have completely sold out our manufacturing sector, have had institutionalized racism for 500 years, and people like you exist!
Well give them yours than! Desegregation and forced busing failed miserably in St. Louis, or do you attend an inner city public school? Have you ever even lived in St. Louis? North St. Louis, not the South side. Blacks call the "METRO", "GETRO", your judgemental attitude says your way too young and too white too know what your talking about. Maybe you didn't understand my mentioning "Black Plight" I was refering to Whites being racist of themselve, you're just living proof. You don't know me so don't hate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,152 posts, read 1,848,766 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Day Folks View Post
Well give them yours than! Desegregation and forced busing failed miserably in St. Louis, or do you attend an inner city public school? Have you ever even lived in St. Louis? North St. Louis, not the South side. Blacks call the "METRO", "GETRO", your judgemental attitude says your way too young and too white too know what your talking about. Maybe you didn't understand my mentioning "Black Plight" I was refering to Whites being racist of themselve, you're just living proof. You don't know me so don't hate!
Not white, was born on Marcus Ave in North St. Louis. Never heard any of my family or friends refer to Metorlink as Getrolink, but I have heard racist bloggers on Stltoday.com forums call it that. Desegregation caused White flight in ever major city in America, St. Louis is not unique in the regard. To me you just come off as a babbling idiot that needs to stop making inflammatory comments before you get banned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Clayton, MO
1,520 posts, read 3,335,542 times
Reputation: 432
^ +1

I must say though, that this is a very delicate subject. On one hand you want to bring the neighborhood back but on the other hand you don't want to misplace the long time residents. Sometimes it's the residents - the drug dealers, the thugs, and the plain old bad people that need to go. Problem is, how do you determine who is who? I struggled with this yesterday as I took a morning drive to go explore parts of north city north of delmar and west of Soldam HS. Some very beautiful homes there, some real treasures, lots of potential, some ugly new infil, lots of empty lots, and lots of poorly cared for homes, abandoned cars, unkept lawns etc. I'd love to see the area come back, but how?

Last edited by moorlander; 01-25-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 AM
 
1,783 posts, read 3,606,164 times
Reputation: 1382
A delicate subject indeed, with the answer being the million dollar answer. It is tough being in the urban renewal process.

You have the residents who mistrust government and authority but want the area to get better. You have residents who are actual criminals and obviously don't want the area to get better. You have suburbanites who don't care or are critical towards those who live in the bad areas. You have business and government leaders who want to make money and therefore will do whats most profitable (and rarely what's "best").

So nothing ever really changes. I suppose if people stopped being criminals that would be a nice start. How does that happen? We all have our ideas but if there was a real solution, it would've happened by now.

My opinion is that real change happens slowly, and involves a community of people with little outside interest by government, business, or outsiders. It's actually happened in a small part of North St. Louis *cue scary music*. Yes, Old North St. Louis is in the midst of a great urban renewal project. It is a slow, block by block, house by house process that has turned the tide in this diverse community north of downtown. Check it out and www.onsl.org. What these people have done so far is incredible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top