Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times

Advertisements

^
I actually absolutely hate the city vs county argument, I think it is very detrimental to the area. I was just saying, if I was going to move to a city and be looking for an apartment in the city limits, the last place I would stay is the suburbs. If I want to live downtown, I would stay downtown, it will give the OP a better feel for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Wow, it takes all of TWENTY minutes and saves the guy about $30/night when you consider that nearly ALL the downtown hotels charge for parking.

I think that the OP is plenty competent to decide where he wants to stay on his trip.

It is another one of those "city vs county" comments that St. Louis is known for.
Its not about saving money or the city vs county. Its about seeing the city in which the poster is seriously considering to move to. Its about exploring the downtown area and the other city neighborhoods in order to find the perfect fit. Chances are when the poster arrives in STL he will have limited time to see everything. By staying in Westpoert opposed to Downtown the poster will incovienence themself and spend way too much on commute times and experiencing a lackluster area (westport) of our region. You get what you pay for and this is a very important decision in his/hers life. The convienence of staying downtown is 30 bucks well spent.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM

183 posts, read 634,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Its not about saving money or the city vs county. Its about seeing the city in which the poster is seriously considering to move to. Its about exploring the downtown area and the other city neighborhoods in order to find the perfect fit. Chances are when the poster arrives in STL he will have limited time to see everything. By staying in Westport opposed to Downtown the poster will inconvenience themselves and spend way too much on commute times and experiencing a lackluster area (Westport) of our region. You get what you pay for and this is a very important decision in his/hers life. The convenience of staying downtown is 30 bucks well spent.
I don't understand this about the people here in St. Louis. Everyone acts like a 20 minute drive is SO inconvenient or SO far away. I live in Calverton Park, work in Creve Coeur and go to church in Chesterfield. So I have a 20-30 minute commute one way, 6 days a week and for the first 4 weeks I was here I drove all the way down to Festus for church.

I sometimes don't even go to restaurants or stores that are close to me, simply because I like ones that are further away better.

I stayed in the Westport area before I came to live here (because the company I work for now paid for the hotel there and it was close to the office) and I didn't have any problem driving around and getting a feel for the area.

If they really do charge $30 a night for parking downtown and I didn't have a job, I wouldn't want to spend that much just for "convenience." I mean if you really want to walk around downtown, find a garage that charges $5-$10 for the entire day and park your car there and walk downtown.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
Some people like driving all over the place while others like myself do not. It all about personal preference. If I were to relocate here I would choose downtown over other areas. It just makes more sense.

Thats a good point though on the 5-10 dollar garage. There are plenty of places that charge less to park which are within walking distance to all hotels downtown.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
I don't understand this about the people here in St. Louis. Everyone acts like a 20 minute drive is SO inconvenient or SO far away.
you noticed that too, didn't you?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times
^ The people complaining about the "long" drive times are mostly the city residents who either don't have a car or are five minutes from most all of their needs. It's has more to do with what you're used to really.

You don't see the posters from St. Chuck or Wildwood saying that, because they do it every day.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 AM

183 posts, read 634,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
^ The people complaining about the "long" drive times are mostly the city residents who either don't have a car or are five minutes from most all of their needs. It's has more to do with what you're used to really.

You don't see the posters from St. Chuck or Wildwood saying that, because they do it every day.

Yeah, but living right off of 270 and New Florissant, I'm not exactly far away from wherever I need to go. I'm 5-7 minutes from Schnucks, Walgreens, Target, Kmart, Wal-Mart (even though I don't go to Wal-Mart that often), 2 Home Depots, 2 McDonald's, Burger King, 2 Applebee's, Steak 'N Shake, etc... the only thing that is disappointing is how far and few between Wendy's are around the area. Being from Ohio I'm used to Wendy's being all over the place and it was my favorite fast food restaurant.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM

325 posts, read 851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post

This is true. I can't imagine a 20 min commute! But we live across the street from the kids school and intentionally a block away from work. We go through a tank of gas every two weeks. We joke about needing to get a hotel room when we have to drive out Chesterfield.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
I just prefer living in a walkable area. Even though I live in the suburbs, I can still walk to the grocery store, Walgreens (with redbox!), park, library and quite a few restaurants/bars. If I had kids, we're also a block away from the elementary school they'd attend and they could walk to school. I'd prefer to live in the city, but that's an entirely different topic :P

Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
When in other similar size or smaller cities to Stl, and on a budget, burbs hotels are in play because of the free parking and easy hwy access if have car.

In larger or largest cities, this is out of play because you would likely not have or want a car, and you would want and need the convenience of staying in the city.

For example, one could do pricline $75-100 4 star hotel in say Chicago often times in the River North/Streeterville, Michigan Ave area. Having a car would make no sense as it's $35 a night to park. And staying way out in the burbs would not make sense. Or one could stay 3 star, similar area for less.

In Stl or similar size city, one has more choices and options due to the ability to get in and out more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis