Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times

Advertisements

This year like every year, I am really looking forward to the Mardi Gras parades and fun in the streets in Soulard next month. But I was thinking, maybe I could be doing more at Mardi Gras than just watching the Grand Parade (Feb. 13) and begging for beads. Perhaps I should try to get more involved, to try something different. Which leads me to some questions that I'm hoping someone knows the answer to:

1. In past years, has anyone been to the Budweiser Party Tent? Is the food really good? Do they tend to run out, or is it kept replenished? Do they keep enough heaters running to make the tent comfortable? And is it actually worth the $100 per person entry fee?
2. How does one go about contacting the Krewes? Are they closed groups or do they accept new members? Do you have to belong to a Krewe to ride on a float, or can you contribute money for the opportunity?
3. Let's say I know someone with a cool vehicle, and we want to decorate it and drive in the parade. Would we have to represent some organization or group to enter? Who decides if we can participate and how can they be reached?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM

325 posts, read 850,746 times
I don't know the answers to 1 or 2, but my friends every year get together and have a float. They are not an organization, just a group of rowdy, creative friends. They do the "Hoosier" themed float every year. Here is info on getting into the parade.

Parade Krewes | Mardi Gras, Inc.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM

91 posts, read 165,846 times
You're in St. Louis, and St. Louisians love their large amounts of food and weak beer, so your $100 investment in the ABInBev Bud Party Tent may not go too far as it will probably run out early.

Anyone that would pay anything, let alone $7.00+ for a Buttwiper or Butt Light is a fool.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
Not sure which tent I go to every year but it's the huge one on the east side of broadway. Food and booze is a plenty. And the live music is a must. I highly recommend shelling out the money for one of the tents.
We also go to the mayors ball every year at city hall. One of the best nights of the year.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times
In past years, I froze my ars off at the parade. The idea of partying in a warm tent is becoming more appealing to me every day. But after shelling out a hundred bucks, I'd expect plenty food and drink to be available!
Does anyone know if the huge tent moorlander mentioned is the Budweiser Party Tent?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
I've never done the tent thing. I'll admit, half the fun of Mardi Gras is getting plowed in the freezing cold with thousands of people. (...one of these days I'll grow up :|)

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,471 times
Yeah, it may definitely be worth it to pay. The past few years I have had a friend that lived in the middle of the action, but he moved.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,917 times
God I hope it's not as cold as last year. It was insane cold on Mardi Gras day. I am from the "Original Home of Mardi Gras" ... and miss the warmer February weather for parades.

With that being said, love walking around Soulard though. No better neighborhood area in the nation to host a Mardi Gras day.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM

32 posts, read 47,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
God I hope it's not as cold as last year. It was insane cold on Mardi Gras day. I am from the "Original Home of Mardi Gras" ... and miss the warmer February weather for parades.

With that being said, love walking around Soulard though. No better neighborhood area in the nation to host a Mardi Gras day.
Awesome to hear about another Alabamian living in St. Louis!! My boyfriend is from Mobile. He and I just graduated and moved here from Auburn. He's a member of the crewe of columbus, and I'm also a huge Mardi Gras fan. I have no idea what the deal with St. Louis Mardi Gras is, so I came to this board searching for answers. Any insight you can provide on where and when to go, and what goes on would be highly appreciated!!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheam06 View Post
Awesome to hear about another Alabamian living in St. Louis!! My boyfriend is from Mobile. He and I just graduated and moved here from Auburn. He's a member of the crewe of columbus, and I'm also a huge Mardi Gras fan. I have no idea what the deal with St. Louis Mardi Gras is, so I came to this board searching for answers. Any insight you can provide on where and when to go, and what goes on would be highly appreciated!!
Yep, Mobilian here.

Big difference. Mardi Gras lasts for 2-3 weeks in Mobile with balls and parades every night downtown ... ending with the big shabang Fat Tuesday. Schools get the whole week of Mardi Gras off, which was awesome.

Here in STL, it is only for one day (from my understanding). And it is on a Saturday at that. The scene itself is awesome though as it is held in Soulard - a great city neighborhood. You will also see a larger crowd (not an insane amount larger, but definitely larger ... nothing like New Orleans however). It's a cool Mardi Gras here though, just much colder outside. Last year was nuts cold. Can't really suggest where to go in Soulard, but get there early in the morning. We just wandered around and luckily knew someone who lived in an apartment there where we could step inside when too cold. Lots of beer to buy while walking around. We got drunk and got lost (we were still somewhat new to STL at that point), 'tis half the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis