Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM

32 posts, read 47,698 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I just graduated and moved to the Central West End from Alabama... big change to say the least! I grew up in the St. Louis suburbs, but that was a completely different experience from living in the Central West End and I'm needin' a little social life advice.

We both like to go out and have drinks, and the number of bars down here is a little intimidating (considering there are literally more bars on one block here than there were in the entire college town we moved here from!)

Can anyone provide me with some insight on late night life in the CWE? Being as we're a couple, we're not really looking to go to any music pumping club-type bars ... to be perfectly honest, I love dives and hole in the wall bars, but I'm open. Any info on chill, laid back bars would be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
Where in CWE did you move to? My wife and I moved to CWE from Alabama two years ago (albeit a different area of Alabama than you guys - according to your profile). I'm horrible with names of places, but I know we enjoyed a few in CWE. I liked Tom's particulaly as I could go watch games there. Might want to look into Sub Zero for upscale chill. For bars and hangouts though, we mainly went to the Loop (more our style and my wife made friends at bars in that district while she worked at a bar there). My best advice is to do what we did. Just walk up and down Euclid and see what's out there. You can tell the difference between normal bars and over-the-top places. Many pubs too.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,982 times
I agree that Tom's is a pretty good place to drink and unwind. Lllewelly's on McPherson is a good casual bar - great patio out back when its warm. Dressel's pub is not bad, on Euclid at Westminster. Bar Louie on Maryland seems a little bit nicer than your average dive, but is still casual and fun. Scottish Arms on Boyle is pretty cool, chill Scotch bar too. Those would be my go-to places if I lived in the CWE, and I am definitely more partial to divey, laid-back watering holes.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I agree that Tom's is a pretty good place to drink and unwind. Lllewelly's on McPherson is a good casual bar - great patio out back when its warm. Dressel's pub is not bad, on Euclid at Westminster. Bar Louie on Maryland seems a little bit nicer than your average dive, but is still casual and fun. Scottish Arms on Boyle is pretty cool, chill Scotch bar too. Those would be my go-to places if I lived in the CWE, and I am definitely more partial to divey, laid-back watering holes.
I'll vouch for Dressels (pub) and Bar Louie (more of a corporate feel). Both places are not bad. Never been to Scottish Arms.

I don't know the names of them, but there are definitely two "dive bars" on Euclid between W. Pine and Laclede. They'll be on the east sidewalk. Think one is "Club 34" or something? 1:30 bars, very small. Never went in either of them, but walked past a million times.

Off-topic, but definitely go to Chase Park Plaza to catch a movie. That was a great unexpected surprise for us when moving to the area. Buy a beer, sit in the quiet theater, and watch the small "big-screen".

Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
I agree with the above. If you are looking for a dive try J&A's on Newstead. Always a good time.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,321 times
I always enjoyed late night happy hour with friends at the Drunken Fish. More upscale, but lots of delicious drinks for pretty cheap (fishbowls too!) along with cheap sushi if you're into that. I remember the first time we went, we got a round of free shots since it was our first time.

I also really enjoy Llywelyns, Tom's, and Bar Louie.

Although not in the Central West End, Nick's Pub is my favorite 3AM bar. Almost always go after bars close in the CWE. For a good laugh, you have to go to Talanya's--the one that turns from pizza joint to club-like at night (I think there's more than 1 location?). I swear it must've been a strip club previously, and the craziest crowd is always there. More for laughs that anything, though.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheam06 View Post

Can anyone provide me with some insight on late night life in the CWE? Being as we're a couple, we're not really looking to go to any music pumping club-type bars ... to be perfectly honest, I love dives and hole in the wall bars, but I'm open. Any info on chill, laid back bars would be highly appreciated!
Although not located in the Central West End, my favorite hole-in-the-wall bar so far in St. Louis is Nick's Pub in Dogtown [ http://www.nickspub.info/ (http://www.nickspub.info/%5D - broken link) ]. It is maybe 2-3 miles from you, its generally packed with people ages 21 to 35 or so most weekend nights, it's really chill, and has probably 20-30 different beers on tap.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 PM

32 posts, read 47,698 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I've seen Club 34 and J&A's and I'm excited to try them both. We've also been to Llwellyn's for lunch and really enjoyed it. Where is Tom's?? And does anyone know anything about the wine and cigar shop turned bar at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Where in CWE did you move to? My wife and I moved to CWE from Alabama two years ago (albeit a different area of Alabama than you guys - according to your profile). I'm horrible with names of places, but I know we enjoyed a few in CWE. I liked Tom's particulaly as I could go watch games there. Might want to look into Sub Zero for upscale chill. For bars and hangouts though, we mainly went to the Loop (more our style and my wife made friends at bars in that district while she worked at a bar there). My best advice is to do what we did. Just walk up and down Euclid and see what's out there. You can tell the difference between normal bars and over-the-top places. Many pubs too.
We're on Maryland and Newstead right by the new cathedral.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Toms is at Forest Park parkway and Euclid. Right across from the hospital.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
I'll echo the above

Cafe Eau in the Chase is a good time.
Not the hole in the wall you're looking for but Mandarin and Sol Lounge are also a good time (more upscale clubish)
Don't forget all the bars in the Grove. Some are Gay/Lesbian and some are not... just look for the rainbows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis