Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 100,946 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to St. Louis from the Bay Area. Obviously the cost of living is much cheaper than in California, but am I insane for giving up the ideal weather?

Has anyone else moved from the Bay Area to St. Louis - what has been your experience?

Also, and Asians out there who have relocated from California?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Housing and fuel costs are boatloads cheaper than in California. Grocery prices are about the same. Beer and wine cost more.

Winters are not as bad as you think they are (Although the previous few weeks were pretty cold). If you are use to coastal living, beautiful scenery and a population that is very diverse and open minded, you may be in for a bit of a cultural shock.

If at all possible, try living here for a few months before jumping in all the way.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Housing and fuel costs are boatloads cheaper than in California. Grocery prices are about the same. Beer and wine cost more.

Winters are not as bad as you think they are (Although the previous few weeks were pretty cold). If you are use to coastal living, beautiful scenery and a population that is very diverse and open minded, you may be in for a bit of a cultural shock.

If at all possible, try living here for a few months before jumping in all the way.

Solid advice. As a native I have to agree with the DP. Spend some time here and interact with the locals before making the big move. My wife and I grew up here, spent many years away in the military/college, and returned with a more worldly perspective.
For the most part, St. Louis is good, but it definitely has some character quirks that one may not be accustomed to.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 PM

95 posts, read 141,189 times
No, it's not crazy.

I am moving from Los Angeles to St. Louis in the next 45 days, without a job. But I am from the midwest, and know what to expect in terms of Cost, Weather, People, and the Labor Market.

What is crazy?
Living in a place where you are underemployed, because wages are driven down by many factors.

Living somewhere strictly due to the nice weather.

Believing that California is the greatest place on earth, and has more to offer than anywhere else.

St. Louis is a cosmopolitan city. I think that most people can fit in well. If you don't like it, and have the means, move somewhere else and try it.

Good Luck

Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
No you are not crazy. STL has a lot to offer but make take a bit to adjust to everything. The weather will be different but you will discover we have 4 beutiful seasons.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep on livin View Post
No, it's not crazy.

I am moving from Los Angeles to St. Louis in the next 45 days, without a job. But I am from the midwest, and know what to expect in terms of Cost, Weather, People, and the Labor Market.

What is crazy?
Living in a place where you are underemployed, because wages are driven down by many factors.

Living somewhere strictly due to the nice weather.

Believing that California is the greatest place on earth, and has more to offer than anywhere else.

St. Louis is a cosmopolitan city. I think that most people can fit in well. If you don't like it, and have the means, move somewhere else and try it.

Good Luck
I would seriously rethink the idea of coming here without a job. The job market is not kind to transplants, although If you have a local pedigree, you may be OK.

My California clients are the ones that allow me to pay my bills. I've been here for a year and a half and try as I may, I cannot pick up any new local business.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
My neighborhood has a large asian population. You will find many asian transplants in the central corridor especially in Clayton, the Central West End, University City etc. I would estimate the population of my street to be at least 20% asian. Olive road from 170 to the city limits is our little "china town."

One might also say St. Louis "could" be on the cusp of seeing it's first wave of immigrants from china when we land this chinese air cargo deal (the Big Idea).

more on that here
http://urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5407&start=0&hilit=china+town (broken link)

Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM

95 posts, read 141,189 times
dinsdale pirahna,

I am moving because California is bleeding bigtime. My business out here has basically waved by-by, and is not going to return anytime soon. Discretionary spending is history, and some of the essential spending as well. A lower cost area is just what is right at this time for me, and I would bet for a lot of other people as well.

The job market out here for a livable wage is gone as well, even if I wanted to work for someone else.

I don't know, but you may be getting business from the west coast because you are able to pass on lower costs to your clients. The cost may be higher than the local St. louis area will pay for your services. New business is hard without some give away first.

Live Long and Prosper

Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
I grew up in San Diego, though I lived in Iowa for 10 years. I ended up dropping out of the interview process with Google (I was up to the campus interview phase) to take a job here. Why? When I crunched the numbers, I realized that when adjusted for cost of living I would be getting significantly higher pay here than I would with Google.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times
FWIW, while job-hunting about a year ago I looked here, Portland, and the SF Bay Area. Companies in the SF Bay Area and Portland were laying people off in my field and I was able to find an opening in St. Louis despite being a transplant (albeit one from the Midwest). The cost of living to income ratio is very favorable in St. Louis. I can buy a house, by myself, in a good neighborhood in the city or one of the 'burbs, while still in my twenties. Such would be unthinkable in California.

Although the cost of living is low and wages are comparatively high, St. Louis does not have the Golden Gate Bridge, we don't have Point Reyes National Seashore, we don't have Napa Valley, nor do we have skiing/boating at Tahoe within a few hours. We have the Chain-of-Rocks bridge, the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, the Missouri Wine Country, Hidden Valley, and Lake of the Ozarks. Some transplants greatly miss those things about the coast. Being a Midwesterner myself I know how to live without them so I do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis