Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 19,585 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I just moved to the city (Well, Creve Coeur to be exact) and would like some input on where to meet other people who are in their mid twenties-mid thirties. I came here without knowing anyone and no matter what I do (yoga classes, other activities of this sort) I haven't found the crowd that I can attempt to make friends with-beyond small chit chat. I have the ability to go downtown if there is a certain acivity or club, coffee house whatever, that people tend to hang out at.

Any help would be nice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
mod this should be moved to the st. louis thread.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
It has to be difficult moving anywhere and not knowing a soul. It is much easier to meet people if you have at least one or two people to go out with.

A majority of the 20-30 something’s "bars, coffee shops, lounges etc" are located in the central corridor. Downtown Clayton, The Central West End, The Grove, Midtown Alley, Downtown, Soulard. You could also try historic St. Charles. Do you live in an apartment complex or building with other young folks? If not maybe consider moving to a younger more hip area than family oriented Creve Coeur.

There are many ways to meet people, I'll list a few.

Grab a wingman from work and hit the bars.
Join and softball, kickball, volleyball league.
Go to Church
Choose a cause to get involved in... Could be anything from the Red Cross, to habitat for humanity, to urban renewal.
Join a professional group... ie an advertising or marketing club.
I’m sure there are some singles groups to. You could try looking online.
Join a running or cycling club?
Join a gym and take classes.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,471 times
^
I agree, when your lease is up, you might consider moving to the city or central corridor. I suggest joining a kickball team, volleyball team, wine club, etc. There is also a group of young professionals that have a sort of pub crawl every Thursday, this is a perfect chance to get to know some people, here is the website:Metropolis

Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 AM

270 posts, read 854,785 times
I'm 24 and all of my friends live in Soulard, Tower Grove, the CWE, or downtown (with a couple in dogtown and the Loop). All four of those areas are great for your age group and have the scene you are talking about. In order to meet most people, I suggest either going out with people from work or joining groups that cater to your interests. Several friends of mine play in leagues and they often need one or two more people. If you post at the gym about wanting to join a team, I bet you could get in with a bunch of people. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
In addition to previous recommendations--If you are a college graduate, you can see if your school has an alumni club in the area? That's how my boyfriend made a ton of friends--he knew nobody at first too.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Seek places where other transplants gather. Its tough to break into local cliques. The Alumni club is also a good idea, if you went to a Larger University.

Most of my friends are also transplants.
The Saint Louis Rowing Club has a lot of new comers. They seem preety welcoming. Its at Creve Couer.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,409 times
CC is a super tough place to meet other young singles! Though some of the apts around CC Lake boast a just-out-of-college crowd... the community is not as much of an active one. More intended for the boring 30 somethings with children like me =).

I agree with those above, spend more time a tad further east and get involved. St. Louis is a deeply rooted city, though the area surrounding Forest Park and the universities is young, active, vibrant, and fast-paced! It's FILLED with transplants and there is something ALWAYS going on!! I'm afraid that you settled into a part of town that will make it difficult for a fun social life, close to home. We in the burbs move at a slower pace... =)

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
As a current (and soon to be ex) creve coeur resident, welcome! The bar scene can be fun, but finding folks who you have an actual common interest with (besides drinking) can be difficult. I'd say, find a hobby you enjoy doing, rowing, yoga, running, biking, motorcycles, flying, drawing, etc, and look up groups that do those sort of activities in the area. Work groups can be great as well, as my current job has tons of transplants, a few of whom are even young. My wife and I are somewhat young (26, 27 y.o. respectively) and we enjoy the "convenience" of creve coeur (shopping, bars, chain restaurants) but it can definitly get boring if you have nothing to do, or don't know anyone. The CWE, Soulard, South Grand, Clayton are all pretty "happening" areas that avoid "suburbia" and have younger crowds.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,585 times
Wow..Thank you everyone for these great suggestions. I did graduate from a state school and the alumni club idea is one I would not have thought of. I got some great suggestions and am a little more hopeful as to what I can make of my time here in the STL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis