Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 24,113 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I recently posted another thread about relocating from Chicago to Stl. I'm not sure what the differences are between these areas: Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Glendale and Brentwood. I also saw references to Rock Hill and Warson Woods. Does anyone want to take a stab at describing how these areas differ? Again, my husband will be working at WashU and we have a 2 year old son. Looking for a 3bed/2bath nice house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,471 times
Brentwood is the most centrally located, closest to Wash U and a metrolink line. It's my personal favorite of the above because of its location. They also have a whole foods, trader joes and it's close to a mall if thats your thing.
Kirkwood and Webster Groves are both great areas with their own little downtowns. I don't know much about Glendale.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
The biggest plus for Brentwood is the MetroLink.

Glendale, Webster, Rock Hill, Warson Woods, Kirkwood all feel the same to me, quite honestly. I think they all go to either Webster or Kirkwood schools, which are both very good. The actual downtown areas are in Webster and Kirkwood, but I couldn't tell you where Rock Hill ends and Webster or Warson Woods begin...and I live in Rock Hill.

I like Rock Hill because I have very easy access to both 40 and 44, and am part of the Webster School system.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,409 times
Kirkwood and Webster both have a small town feel with great downtown areas, and adorable older homes. Kirkwood tends to be more popular, as it's a tad more central. Webster is a little further south. In addition, per ratings... Kirkwood's school district is superior. Rockhill, Warson Woods, and Glendale border both areas. The communities aren't as strong. The city amenities aren't as plentiful as they are in Kirkwood and Webster Groves where you have community pools, gyms, and great community centers. Homes in these areas that are more central, as opposed to south, and in Kirkwood school district tend to be valued higher.

Per Brentwood... great central location that borders Clayton. Great school district, as well. You will get less house for your money than the previously mentioned areas... but taxes are notoriously LOW. Brentwood is the more urban, fast based community out of your list. Not quite as family oriented and suburban feeling as the previously mentioned. At least the more eastern part. The area of Brentwood around Tillis Park is a GREAT family area but pricey (400K and up).

Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Ah, the park district stuff--that's the stuff I don't think about since I don't have kids Living in Rock Hill, I still get the Webster/Kirkwood/whatever newsletters, updates on whats going on, etc. It "feels" like part of the same community. You would have to pay non-resident rates on the pools and park distrct activities and stuff though.

Not sure how Kirkwood is more "central" because it's further west of all those mentioned.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM

181 posts, read 687,303 times
I love Webster Groves. We were there for a wedding last spring and it was very impressive to all of us from the upper midwest. The people, foremost, were so friendly, flowers were out all over and all in all a very pleasant city.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
Webster and Kirkwood have nice downtown districts and are 2 of the most desirable suburbs in the entire metro. Glendale is basically Kirkwood and Webster as it's hard to decipher where one begins and the other ends. Brentwood isn't far behind.
Webster has a an artsy/hippy reputation. And I don't mean this in a negative way.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM

I would agree on the reputation. It probably gets this feel from the fact that Webster University, which I think is known for its arts programs, is there, along with the Repertory Theatre, the downtown area, and the fact that most of the restaurants/bars in the area are local. I wouldn't know where to find a Chilis/Applebees/Fridays if you asked me. There's also the farmers market, which I believe is in Kirkwood. It's a more established area--full grown trees, beautiful homes, good community sponsored activities.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
good community sponsored activities.
Such as fixing race relations Sorry, been listening to an awful lot of KMOX, so i hear something about it every morning.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Such as fixing race relations Sorry, been listening to an awful lot of KMOX, so i hear something about it every morning.
I think you're referencing Kirkwood...which has had race relation issues since Kirkwood annexed Meacham Park in the 90s, and proceeded to turn some of the area into a big retail project via eminent domain. It became a very hot issue after the 2008 shooting rampage at Kirkwood City Hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis