Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine the Slovakian heritage being a big issue. St Louis has a large Bosnian population. Obviously, two different countries, but both Eastern European.

Everyone has a different view on how religious St Louis is. Some say the area feels very Catholic, probably because of the popularity of Catholic schools, but if you send your kids to a public school or non-denominational private school, I don't think you'll feel like an outsider. Only 30%ish of the area is Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I can't see any problems

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

325 posts, read 850,952 times
I don't know why there would be any problems. St. Louis has been a major refugee resettlement city due to available jobs and cost of living. Plus, it has a several large universities and teaching hospitals that have attracted people from around the world.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,302 times
IMO - St. Louis would be an easy move from Dallas. DFW is bigger but STL still has all of the major amenities of a larger city (e.g., entertainment, good shopping, professional sports, great restaurants, etc.). STL and DFW are both pretty laid back and have plenty of great down home people too (with only a few "snoots" here and there).

Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
while dallas-ft. worth is a much bigger metro area than st. louis, you will easily find that st. louis has more urban flavor in its pinky finger than the entire state of texas combined. it's an historic city with incredible traditions, housing stock, neighborhood fabric and rich culture. not to knock where you're from, but st. louis holds its own quite well against places like dallas.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
make the move with no reservations.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM

165 posts, read 451,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
while dallas-ft. worth is a much bigger metro area than st. louis, you will easily find that st. louis has more urban flavor in its pinky finger than the entire state of texas combined. it's an historic city with incredible traditions, housing stock, neighborhood fabric and rich culture. not to knock where you're from, but st. louis holds its own quite well against places like dallas.
Well, now, let's not get carried away.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM

15 posts, read 64,306 times
It's all relative. I grew up in St Louis and can not stand the weather. Hot and humid. But you are from Texas so to you - it could seem dry and comfortable. I moved to Colorado where some Coloradans say that they can's stand the dryness - now I think it is heaven here. So truthfully, never put the fate of your future in a forum's hands. You do what you need to do for your future and your security. If your husband has a great job offer, just make sure it is stable and not going to fail in the near future as many companies in St Louis are sadly going under rather quickly. Check out the companie's reputation - as you do not want to plan an expensive move and six months down the road, have a lay off. My husband worked in a union for 17 years and they are dead in the water now. So sad. But it is very hard to find work there right now. So investigate carefully. St Louis has its perks. But economically speaking, it is suffering and the unemployment rates are at an all time high. So just be careful. Even Chrysler and Bush no longer belong to St Louis. Cut backs, layoffs, Ford, GM plants - companies that were invincible are gone. Be very careful and do your homework. As far as the temps... coming from Texas, you will probably be comfortable there. For me, it is too humid. LOL. But good luck and God's blessings on whatever you decide. I seriously would not go by a forum to decide your future outside of fact based opinions - as a lot have offered their love for St Louis and what you need is to be very careful that you make sure that this is a company that will offer lifetime security. Even my husband's father who worked for Anheiser Bush lost his benefits due to unforseen cuts. He worked there for 25 years and paid his dues and now is without because of the economy there at the moment. Just be careful. There are good people there, but beware - in any economic catastraphy - crime does arise. Be sure to investigate where you will be living as well. Good luck and God Bless!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM

15 posts, read 64,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hidden Valley is OK, but it's a Ski "Area" - using the term "Resort" is a stretch, to say the least.

If the kids like to board, there is a safe, non-extreme terrain park (but no halfpipe):

[CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
Jumps rebuilt 1-27 In BADLANDS 25" Jump, 25' Down Box , Down Hand Rail,
And 3 new beginner features. . . . Mini Rail is Sunday the 31st come out ![/CENTER]

35' Jump, 40'Jump, 48' Flatrail/Flat Down Combo, 50'Box/Flat Down Combo

ROFL!! I was thinking the exact same thing. I saw "ski resort" and my husband and I said "No. Hill." LOL!! It's basically a hill that reaches a thousand feet with fake snow. Not a resort. In the least. But kids get a kick out of it. Not sure the adults will find much fun with it.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 56,394 times
Thank you all for your responses. We aren't getting all our information about St. Louis from this forum and we are well aware that most information found here is completely subjective, but it is always nice to get a feel for a place through its people. I think we have definitely been able to do that in this forum. We do have concerns about the company tanking and then we'll be out in woods looking for another job. I guess in this economy most people have to worry about lay-offs and cutbacks. Overall, my husband is very excited about the job so we'll be heading to your city to check it out in March. I'll let you guys know our decision once we get back. Thank you again for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis