Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM

325 posts, read 851,017 times

Advertisements

Got this email...thought you might be interested
Quote:
Hi all!

I would like to invite you to the very first St. Louis Transplants happy hour event.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
6:00 - 8:00 PM

The Gramophone
The Gramophone, a live music lounge and bar in St. Louis | The Gramophone

4243 Manchester Avenue
Saint Louis, MO 63110

I'm guessing you're wondering what the heck St. Louis transplants is.

St. Louis transplants is the brainchild of homegrown locals and imports alike. Transplants are people like you – open minded, intelligent, dynamic individuals who are trying desperately to find other St. Louis “outsiders” to connect with.

As the majority of this town is populated with “insiders” (aka: those born and raised here) - the chances of you making new friends while in the line at supermarket are slim to none. In fact- the majority of the people here have not modified their social circles since they were 15.

The goal of St. Louis Transplants is to connect people. (but not in a match.com or networking group way)

Because, truth be told, it’s sometimes easier asking someone on a date than asking them to be your friend. So please join us, and bring any other transplants you happen to run across. There isn’t a committee to join and we won’t put you to work. Just plan on room full of silly people that think “School” means college and not high school. We can’t promise to change your life, but we promise you’ll meet some great folks. And there will be cocktails. And who doesn’t like cocktails? Seriously.

This event - like all St. Louis Transplant events - is 100% open to everyone. So please, please, please bring friends and coworkers!

Please let me know if you have any questions! See you on Wednesday!

Cheers!
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
What group is this through/is there a way to get on the email list?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM

It was on my neighborhood list serve.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:16 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
This is an excellent idea/post.

My wife and I are natives, but because we were gone for so long, we felt like transplants. and we've seen how xenophobic and paranoid folks in this town can be. Accordingly, we go out of our way to make transplants/newcomers feel welcome.

We cannot attend, but we would love to see what comes of this.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
I had the pleasure of visiting the Gramophone last summer on a weekend visit to my hometown. Very nice place with good service!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
I guess my neighborhood is just different, but I would say half of our friends are locals and half are transplants. I have never been asked the high school question as no one cares.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I guess my neighborhood is just different, but I would say half of our friends are locals and half are transplants. I have never been asked the high school question as no one cares.
I am wondering if that question just doesn't come up anymore amongst people under 30 or so. From what I have heard a lot of the more inward stereotype seems to break down in the younger generation.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I am wondering if that question just doesn't come up anymore amongst people under 30 or so. From what I have heard a lot of the more inward stereotype seems to break down in the younger generation.
It's funny we were just talking about this with some transplants from Chicago and Milwaukee and New Jersey, they don't see what the big deal is. I know I do ask that question of fellow natives, but it's not a judgment as much as looking for a point of connection with someone. "Oh, you went to SLUH? What year did you graduate? Really, that's my brother's class, did you know so and so?" That's exactly how they saw it. It has never bothered any of them. We are all under 40.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
It's not so much that I'm judging people for trying to seek a connection, but more that it's one of the first questions that's asked and that everyone assumes I'm from here. Also, there are so many people who stick to their high school social group well into their 20s. Where your parents sent you when you were 14 can matter a lot more than what you did as an adult in college. It reminds me a lot of country club networking or something.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
One of the best decisions I ever made was to leave after high school. Not that its a bad place, but I was forced out of my comfort zone and met people from other cities, states, small towns, rural areas and even other countries. I'm glad I explored and learned at a young age that there's all different types of people out there and not just ones I grew up with in West County. It has helped me in my adult life. Nothing wrong with keeping old friendships, but people that don't want to even expand who they know are missing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: