Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,749,239 times

Advertisements

I love animals. I hate what he did. At the same time, it's funny how we rank some crimes higher than others. Vick is one of many felons in the NFL. I agree if you boycott NFL teams that have felons, you'll be very limited, same with the NBA.

If he has reformed himself, I think he deserves a second chance. As much as I love animals, I guess living around here has kind of thickened my skin about it. What Vick did was horrible, and he deserved to be punished, but he's not the only person I know of who has killed an animal, granted he did it horribly.

I don't like him. I do think he deserves a second chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM

389 posts, read 898,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I love animals. I hate what he did. At the same time, it's funny how we rank some crimes higher than others. Vick is one of many felons in the NFL. I agree if you boycott NFL teams that have felons, you'll be very limited, same with the NBA.

If he has reformed himself, I think he deserves a second chance. As much as I love animals, I guess living around here has kind of thickened my skin about it. What Vick did was horrible, and he deserved to be punished, but he's not the only person I know of who has killed an animal, granted he did it horribly.

I don't like him. I do think he deserves a second chance.
um, how many felons do you know in the nba and nfl? I'm trying to google a list, to see how many I can find. I didn't know you followed the NBA.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,749,239 times
I don't. I'm just saying there seem to be quite a few criminals in both leagues, moreso than MLB and NHL anyway. The NHL is probably the least law-breaking. But I was agreeing with someone else earlier that if you take a stance not to support a team with a felon, you do have to apply it universally I think.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,666,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
I couldn't give a crap about Vick or the Rams at all (I was born and raised in Ohio so I'm a Bengals fan when I watch football) but this has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

That's like saying "Do I care if someone convicted of murder works for my hospital? Yes. Do I care if he works for [insert generic profession here]? No." Or "Do I care if someone convicted of dealing and using drugs works for my pharmacist? Yes. Do I care if he works for [insert generic profession here]? No"

There's a reason convicted felons have such a hard time finding jobs. Is it fair? Maybe not but you now how to get around that? DON'T COMMIT A FELONY!!!
I would much rather have convicted felons who have served their time working than sitting on their butt collecting welfare and possibly getting into more trouble. If the concern is that punishments aren't harsh enough already, that's a whole different story.

By the way, a bad way to form an intelligent sounding argument is to first tell me I'm "retarded."

Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM

2,140 posts, read 4,429,537 times
When you combine the fact that the Rams went a miserable 1-15 last year, it seems like the Rams would need this publicity regarding Michael Vick like they'd need a hole in the head. This despite whatever degree Vick has paid his debt to society and has received God's forgiveness. He would have to do some extraordinary acts of community service to regain any respect he ever had from the sports fan community and sports media.

I think the Rams acquiring Vick would imply extreme desperation on the team's part. In fairness, I don't have the same access to St. Louis sports talk radio and print media coverage that you guys do, so correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't. I'm just saying there seem to be quite a few criminals in both leagues, moreso than MLB and NHL anyway. The NHL is probably the least law-breaking. But I was agreeing with someone else earlier that if you take a stance not to support a team with a felon, you do have to apply it universally I think.
there's not as many criminals in the NBA as you think. Prominent cases sure, but it isn't a rampant problem where the league would fold if their criminals weren't allowed to play. The NBA has a lot of good guys in the league today and it gets irritating listening to people badmouth its players when they don't even follow the league. I get defensive, don't mind me.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM

this thread is pointless btw. The Eagles picked up Vick's 1.5 million bonus when they could have cut him or traded him. The Rams are looking at a few quarterbacks in the draft namely Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen. They also signed AJ Feeley about a week ago. Vick isn't coming here just like Limbaugh isn't buying the team. There's probably Michael Vick rumors in a few other cities. He's been making it known on radio stations that he'd like to have a shot to start on a few teams.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM

one last thing, criminal behavior isn't a problem in sports, its a problem in society. So can we please stop overreacting to players in leagues and under-reacting to the societal problems themselves? Everyone gets so angry over criminal acts by athletes, yet when a teenager is shot in a bad neighborhood to them that's trivial.

"I can't root for this team because this guy is on it" meanwhile there isn't a remote chance you'll ever cross paths with this person where they can have some effect on your life. Your chances of running into a troubled youth are far greater than running into Michael Vick while taking your yorkie out to pee.

Its ridiculous how angry people get. Yes what Vick did was wrong. He has served his time and he's working with the right people to address the societal problem of dog fighting. Most people want only to condemn Michael Vick. How irritating. I dunno, maybe they think they're thereby confronting dog fighting? Well the sad truth is they aren't. We shouldn't have posts asking how we feel about Michael Vick, we should have posts asking how to end dog fighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis