Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM

57 posts, read 147,534 times

Advertisements

(apologies in advance, because I'm sure this kind of question gets asked here everyday...but I'll add my own specific information, since that may generate different responses)

I recently accepted a teaching job at UMSL, and my wife and I are beginning to look at places to live. I've been searching all the usual "rent.com" "apartments.com" types of websites, and have seen some interesting-looking things. But not knowing the neighborhoods, I'm finding myself in need of some recommendations of places to look at/ignore.

Vital stats:
*My wife and I are in our early 30s, one cat, no kids (yet).
*It would be nice to live relatively near to UMSL, but at the same time, I don't want to live around noisy college students. So anywhere within a 30 min commute is fine...
*Interested in a townhouse/apartment complex that is in a neighborhood, rather than on a noisy street.
*Looking for a safe neighborhood, with young professionals
*Looking to rent, and hoping to pay roughly $1000 (or less!)/month for a 3BR place

I've heard good things about the University City area, and this "Dogtown" area. I've been told that Clayton is nice, but probably out of our price range. I've also been told to avoid the north areas of the city...but I'm not sure how far north. What about places like Florissant, Ferguson, Spanish Lake?

I've also been warned about getting too close to the Mississippi River if it floods. Is this a regular occurrence? Does the Missouri River flood?

Anyway, if you have any recommendations of areas to explore or avoid, I'm all ears!

Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 PM

183 posts, read 632,737 times
Florissant isn't bad. I'm in Calverton Park and everything I go to is in Ferguson and Florissant.

You could probably find a house rental in Florissant for the price you are looking for.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM

109 posts, read 245,280 times
I would definitely look in U City -- it is close to the Wash U campus; has a metrolink that stops at UMSL or Highway 170 is an easy commute. There you will find wonderful housing options and neighbors who are much like yourself since many professors from all schools (UMSL, Wash U, SLU) live there.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,860,385 times
I second University City, great location with a metrolink stop. There are two metrolink stops on UMSL's campus. One on the South side and one on the North side.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM

57 posts, read 147,534 times
Thanks for the University City recommendations -- I'll definitely be checking that area out. Is it very "busy?" Given a choice, my wife and I would like a quiet, calm area.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,860,385 times
You can find a flat on one of the quieter streets. The Loop is very busy, with a ton of restaurants, shops and bars. If University City is too busy, you might want to look in Brentwood.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,587,930 times
The farther South and West you look in U City the quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis