Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 AM

299 posts, read 1,009,676 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move to St. Louis for work.

I've never been to St. Louis, and I know nothing about it.

Research Step 1: Finding a place to live.

What is the area around Tower Grove Park like? Comparatively safe neighborhoods? Any rental properties or apartments that you might recommend in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,974 times
Tower Grove is a great south city neighborhood anchored by Tower Grove Park. The park spans several city blocks and hosts kickball, baseball, soccer, yoga, a summer farmers market and tons of festvals.
There are two main strips in the neighborhood, South Grand and Morganford. South Grand has pretty much everything you need. Lots of restaurants,bars, drycleaners, pharmacy, bookstore, coffee shops,etc. You can pretty much find any kind of ethnic food you can think of. Morganford has restaurants, bars, organic grocer and lots of little vintage shops.
TG is a mixture of professionals, hipsters and young families. I have several friends that live in TG and have never had a problem with crime. However, like any city, you must be aware of your surroundings and never leave anything in you car.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,476 times
The above poster is correct for the most part. I live in the Tower Grove Park area currently. I really like the neighborhood and it's close to a lot of neat restaurants and other places. I've been a victim of 2 different crimes while living in this neighborhood, but after talking to a lot of different people that live around this area, it seems as though I have been the unlucky one in that regard. The first incident was someone hitting my parked car and then driving off immediately. The second incident was a burglary that took place in the duplex I live in while I was at work one day.

Anyway, I think we should learn more about you so we can get a better idea about whether you may enjoy St. Louis or not. Where are you currently? What kind of weather are you used to? What kind of weather would you prefer? Do you have any family around here? Any one else you might know around here? Etc., etc. It's hard to really know if you will enjoy St. Louis unless we can get some more information. In my opinion, I would assess whether I would want to live in St. Louis first before searching for rentals.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 PM

I am completing graduate Masters work now and, well, will go where the job is. I have a really great prospect in St. Louis. I truly believe that there are things to be enjoyed and appreciated in any locale, so I'm basing my move on the professional opportunity and not the region.

Wherever I end up, I'm excited about getting to know someplace new.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and currently live in the Cincinnati area. An aunt and uncle of mine used to live in St. Louis (though a long time ago), and a friend of mine currently has family in St. Louis. So I can tap into them as resources, as well.

From the little bit of research I've done so far, it seems like the Southwest Garden/Tower Grove areas are pretty nice and worth focusing my efforts on as a starting point.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:25 PM

325 posts, read 851,378 times
I live in Shaw, the neighborhood on the north side of the park, east of the Gardens. I posted this link on another thread. Shaw Housing Corporation They are a neighborhood non-profit and can help you to find a rental in Shaw that has a good landlord. You have to be a little cautious when looking in this area since there are a lot of absentee landlords and they are a great deal of the problem in our neighborhoods.

It's a great area. We love it! good luck!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:29 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,029 times
The neighborhoods around Tower Grove Park are great places to live. For one, you have a vibrant young professional and diverse community. Then you take into account beautiful old brick houses along old tree lined streets. Throw in a ton of ethnic restaurants, a Victorian park, weekly farmers market, and plenty of transplants and locals - and I think you have an excellent place to live. The neighborhoods I am specifically referring to are Tower Grove South, Tower Grove East, Southwest Garden and Shaw.

Crime does happen here, but violent crime is uncommon. I know the Tower Grove Heights area of the Tower Grove South neighborhood has a very strong neighborhood association. I'm sure the others do too, so there is a good neighborly keeping an eye out for one another feeling. I would feel safe living there, but someone who has spent their whole lives in homogeneous suburbs might feel uncomfortable.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Great feedback; thanks for your opinions!

If anyone would like to recommend their landlord for these neighborhoods, I'd be happy to receive the info!

(And indeed, I did already find some good leads on craigslist.)

Old 03-21-2010, 02:36 PM

24 posts, read 58,958 times
Check the Craigslist. Most property managers utilize that site to post their inventory. I just moved last week into an apartment I found on the Craigslist and I'm thrilled with it. I got a 1BR one block from Clayton, walk to Forest Park, etc...for under $500! (Coming from NYC, my mind was/is just blown at the low rent. haha).

Property managers in the area: Red Brick, Threshold, Byron Company, etc.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 PM

105 posts, read 250,304 times
I'm also thinking about moving to St. Louis. I've got a job offer from Edward Jones. I've never been to St. Louis and no nothing about it. I'm 33, female, African American... I'm interested in a diverse, affordable community, near Metro, shops, restaurants, bookstores, someplace walkable. I grew up in NYC, but have lived in Charlotte for the past 10 years. Any info that you can share would be helpful. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis