Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times

Advertisements

Bit chilly out here. I think it is warmer in Saint Louis. Working my butt off

The Earthquakes were a bit of a shock today. The big one felt like I was on a ship in rough water and lasted quite a bit longer than the usual quakes. Doesn't seem like there was any damage up in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 25,969 times
Thanks for the info, Marksman. I'll have to check that comedy club out next time I go up there. Steven Wright and Sam Kinison are two of my main influences too. Although, I'd say my stuff is like a combination of Bill Hicks, Todd Barry, Andy Kaufman, and Doug Stanhope. I've also been compared to Lenny Bruce and Mitch Hedberg. So, I guess I'm all over the place.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluekey View Post
Thanks for the info, Marksman. I'll have to check that comedy club out next time I go up there. Steven Wright and Sam Kinison are two of my main influences too. Although, I'd say my stuff is like a combination of Bill Hicks, Todd Barry, Andy Kaufman, and Doug Stanhope. I've also been compared to Lenny Bruce and Mitch Hedberg. So, I guess I'm all over the place.

You have excellent taste, my friend. I was fortunate enough to see the late, brilliant Bill Hicks back in my early USAF days (92) and was in stitches the whole time. I would put him up there with Bruce, Pryor, Carlin and all the legends.

You'll notice that I on occasion will make wry observations about St. Louis and its certain "quirks" in the same vein that Bill Hicks channeled his material, albeit in a much less abrasive manner.

Great comedy scene in St. Louis (Redd Foxx's birthplace, I'm having the Big One!). the Funny Bone is great and very fairly priced - check it out sometime! We saw Sarah Silverman there once and she had us laughing so hard we were crying.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
You have excellent taste, my friend. I was fortunate enough to see the late, brilliant Bill Hicks back in my early USAF days (92) and was in stitches the whole time. I would put him up there with Bruce, Pryor, Carlin and all the legends.

You'll notice that I on occasion will make wry observations about St. Louis and its certain "quirks" in the same vein that Bill Hicks channeled his material, albeit in a much less abrasive manner.

Great comedy scene in St. Louis (Redd Foxx's birthplace, I'm having the Big One!). the Funny Bone is great and very fairly priced - check it out sometime! We saw Sarah Silverman there once and she had us laughing so hard we were crying.
Hicks is my favorite comedian of all-time. In fact this guy who's seen me do stand-up countless times once told me "You remind me of Bill Hicks and Lewis Black, except you're quieter." That's the absolute best compliment I've ever gotten. So when you saw Hicks was it in St. Louis?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluekey View Post
Hicks is my favorite comedian of all-time. In fact this guy who's seen me do stand-up countless times once told me "You remind me of Bill Hicks and Lewis Black, except you're quieter." That's the absolute best compliment I've ever gotten. So when you saw Hicks was it in St. Louis?

We (a bunch of drunken USAF and USN Desert Storm Vets) saw Bill Hicks in Washington, D.C. (in 1991, when decent people were in goverment) at the DC Improv. He had EVERYONE crying from laughing so hard. As an accountant, I always loved "If you're in marketing/advertising, please, kill yourself...I'm not kidding!" I spent years away from STL in the USAF, so I'm not sure if Bill played St. Louis prior to his way-too-early departure.

Dude, if you're being compared to Hicks (except "quieter" lol a tornado siren is quieter than Hicks) and Lewis Black, then you must have mad skills as a comedian. Let us know when/where you are performing.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
We (a bunch of drunken USAF and USN Desert Storm Vets) saw Bill Hicks in Washington, D.C. (in 1991, when decent people were in goverment) at the DC Improv. He had EVERYONE crying from laughing so hard. As an accountant, I always loved "If you're in marketing/advertising, please, kill yourself...I'm not kidding!" I spent years away from STL in the USAF, so I'm not sure if Bill played St. Louis prior to his way-too-early departure.

Dude, if you're being compared to Hicks (except "quieter" lol a tornado siren is quieter than Hicks) and Lewis Black, then you must have mad skills as a comedian. Let us know when/where you are performing.
I must say I'm envious that I never got to see Hicks perform. Hell, I was only eleven or twelve when he died. It was a damn shame.
Well, as I probably mentioned I currently live in Joplin which is a hellhole in the southwest corner of the state, and St. Louis is quite a long drive, but I'm going to try to go there over the summer and check out that Funny Bone place.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:10 AM

42 posts, read 30,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
St. Louis is a liberal city with conservative suburbs, much like most any other us city. The St. Louis single scene is strong. You can live in the county and hang out in the city, a lot of people do that.

Agree ---

Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Agree with BoomBoxing, hardly regretful about it.

Regarding being single, I've always thought of St. Louis as more of a family-oriented city. I've always had trouble making new friends with people in this place because they just seem so tightly-knit in their own social networks and are not looking for new members. It definitely feels different than when I used to live in Charlotte. People may disagree with me here, but my opinion is that if you don't already have family or friends here, then don't move here or else you will have a hard time building up a social network from scratch.
As a transplant, I completely agree with this. The few friends I have made here are also transplants/expats. I don't know if it's just STL culture, but people don't seem to want to branch out, or invite you into their social circles. I would imagine that a lot of it has to do with the lack of transplants here. I am hopeful that this will change, as the biotech scene is growing, and there seems to be growth and new businesses coming into the city. Hopefully these will bring more young professional transplants.

There is a singles scene here...but I wouldn't consider it to be above average compared to other cities. SLU and WashU help bring some singles into the area...but most are early 20's.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:35 AM

201 posts, read 220,033 times
I wouldn't get discouraged by all of the hype about everybody in St. Louis clinging to their live-long social circles and not including newcomers from other areas. I moved here in 2015 in my late-20s, found and married my soulmate here, and still meet a lot of neat people here. I meet a ton of transplants, too. However, if you're a transplant looking to meet single women, living in the city is absolutely your best bet! People have told me before that it does get a lot more cliquish in suburbs like Chesterfield and Ballwin, and so what if they're less liberal than the city? I'm far from Democratic and I still prefer living in the city, and can think of at least a couple of people that feel the same way.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:25 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
I wouldn't get discouraged by all of the hype about everybody in St. Louis clinging to their live-long social circles and not including newcomers from other areas. I moved here in 2015 in my late-20s, found and married my soulmate here, and still meet a lot of neat people here. I meet a ton of transplants, too. However, if you're a transplant looking to meet single women, living in the city is absolutely your best bet! People have told me before that it does get a lot more cliquish in suburbs like Chesterfield and Ballwin, and so what if they're less liberal than the city? I'm far from Democratic and I still prefer living in the city, and can think of at least a couple of people that feel the same way.
I know of many "conservative" people who live in liberal jurisdictions.

I have not had problems meeting people anywhere I have lived except Memphis.

There are nearly 3 million people living in the msa. It reads like you made it work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis