Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 AM

10 posts, read 25,975 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the St. Louis area. I'm a 27 year-old man and one of the main reasons I'm considering St. Louis is because there seem to be a lot of single women there according to what I've read. But I'm wanting to meet single women in the mid 20's to mid 30's age group. Also, I would prefer to live in a suburb over the city. Finally, I've read that St. Louis is a very "liberal" city. Being a hard-core libertarian (a lot like Ron Paul), would I find any kindred spirits? If anyone who lives in the STL area could give me some insight into this I would be most appreciative. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 12:57 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
I have heard that the farther you get from the city, the less liberal it gets.

Although here's a map of the 2008 Presidential election results
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/res...vidual/#mapPMO

Old 03-27-2010, 06:11 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Many libertarians here, you'll be fine:

St. Louis Area Libertarian Party

In the City, you'll see mostly regretful souls with the Obama/Biden 08 bumper stickers. St. Charles County and Jefferson County have the hard righties, religious extremists and Git R Done trucks.

The City is your best shot for single women in that age group.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:06 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Hardly regretful...hell I wish I could go back in time and pull the lever again . But Marksman is right about his assesment of the area and there are a good number of Ron Paul types in the suburbs

Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM

325 posts, read 851,253 times
I don't know. Ron Paul had his hq on Chippewa. I think libertarians fit into the city mix better than you might expect. I wouldn't discount the city based on political affiliation alone. Most of the liberals in the city are liberal when it comes to social issues, especially civil/gay rights and school choice, which should fit in with your libertarian views. I wouldn't go around brandishing your handgun b/c that will get some condemnation. Guns in the city are only used to kill people. Not the same as living in the country and using them for hunting.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,299 times
Agree with BoomBoxing, hardly regretful about it.

I have always thought that St. Louis was more of a conservative city than liberal, but maybe that's just because of all of the people I've been around. I work in a very conservative environment, so that may be a big part of it. However, the neighborhood I live in (which is in the city) seems to be much more liberal. It is a very gay-friendly neighborhood for example. Most of the time I feel like a minority in this city as far as my political views go, but then again it could just be the immediate people I'm around all the time. I think the bottom line is that you're not going to have any trouble finding like-minded people in this city. I don't know how prevalent the Libertarian party is here (that is, if you indeed feel that it is different enough from the Republican party that you must be with them instead), but I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding being single, I've always thought of St. Louis as more of a family-oriented city. I've always had trouble making new friends with people in this place because they just seem so tightly-knit in their own social networks and are not looking for new members. It definitely feels different than when I used to live in Charlotte. People may disagree with me here, but my opinion is that if you don't already have family or friends here, then don't move here or else you will have a hard time building up a social network from scratch.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
I don't really think of St Louis as a single people mecca. I never had trouble meeting other single people, but as a general trend, people here seem to get married pretty young.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM

26 posts, read 78,286 times
I don't think of St. Louis as a "liberal city" at all. The politics in the city are more left-leaning than you'll find in the suburbs or rural areas, but that's true of almost any city in the US.

I would say that if you are moving from another US city to St Louis you will probably think of the Saint Louis region as fairly conservative. If you are moving from some small town in Missouri or Illinois to St Louis, you will probably think of the Saint Louis region as fairly liberal.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:04 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
St. Louis is a liberal city with conservative suburbs, much like most any other us city. The St. Louis single scene is strong. You can live in the county and hang out in the city, a lot of people do that.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 25,975 times
Thanks for all the replies! A lot of helpful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis